Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2001, 07:21 PM   #1
xbird

compression ratio

i am putting in my turbo later...
but coz my car is a 93... and it has around 90000 miles on it already.. i am afraid about the engine's condition....... this guy has all the tune ups and maintainece done at a regular period.. so i think he did keep it well...
but will a compression ratio test whta i need to know???

and what exactly is a compression ratio???

let me know

thanks
Old 11-16-2001, 12:24 PM   #2
Boosted3g

Compresion ratio is the volume of the entire cylinder at bottom dead center divided by the volume at top dead center.

Heres a good site that will calculate the compression ratio for you. You obviously need a few specs on your engine.

calculate compression ratio

This one is needed when boost is involved and you have your static compression ratio

compression ratio under boost

Also what you need to know is not the compression ratio but the actual compression of the engine. Basically i is just a gauge that will screw into your plug hole and then you crank the engine over (make sure you have the PGM-FI disconnected) and it will read how much compression is in the cylinder in psi. It is basic way of accessing an engines condiion. It will show if there are bad rings, burnt valves, holes in pistons, basically everything. There is also a wet test but that is not needed until a dry test is done. If you get low readings put a little bit of oil (about 2 spoonfulls) into the cylinder and do the test again. The readings should go up a good bit if it is your rings.