::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
kilo97civic

Pulley kits

College is awesome I got a scholarship for alot of money....and i got a lil extra...i need some help....what are all the pulleys that you can replace and how many are sold in sets?? i just need to know what all can be replaced so i can put them all on at once...
Old 03-04-2003, 09:24 PM   #2
spoogenet

The most predominant pulley set I'm aware of is the AEM one. I'm not sure how many pulleys it comes with for your car, but for 6th gen Accords it has 2. One for the PS and one for the alternator pulley.

Usually all you'll affect is that, but I think you can find pulleys for the AC as well.

Unorthodox Racing (I believe that's their name) sells an underdrive pulley for the main crank pulley, but I believe that requires removal of the harmonic balancer. You don't want to remove the harmonic balancer if you plan on keeping your engine for any real length of time.

b
Old 03-04-2003, 09:32 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
The most predominant pulley set I'm aware of is the AEM one. I'm not sure how many pulleys it comes with for your car, but for 6th gen Accords it has 2. One for the PS and one for the alternator pulley.

Usually all you'll affect is that, but I think you can find pulleys for the AC as well.

Unorthodox Racing (I believe that's their name) sells an underdrive pulley for the main crank pulley, but I believe that requires removal of the harmonic balancer. You don't want to remove the harmonic balancer if you plan on keeping your engine for any real length of time.

b

Sounds like you're dead on.

I have the AEM set... maybe a little bit of low end improvement, but its hard to tell with only a butt dyno.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 08:50 PM   #4
scottrtucker

Don't remove your harmonic balancer if you want to rev your engine to its full potential (redline and beyond). Resonance will snap your crankshaft in half even without pushing the engine hard.

The following URL has a very good article on the subject:

http://dinanbmw.com/html/danger_of_power_pulleys.htm

Thanks,

Scott Tuckerhttp://dinanbmw.com/html/danger_of_power_pulleys.htm
Old 03-06-2003, 09:13 PM   #5
spoogenet

Just to make it clear, the AEM kit does not affect your harmonic balancer, it only affects accessory pulleys.

b
Old 03-06-2003, 09:14 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Just to make it clear, the AEM kit does not affect your harmonic balancer, it only affects accessory pulleys.

b

Yeah, the AEM kit is safer, but you gain more with the UR. I'd go AEM if anything though.

Old 03-06-2003, 10:16 PM   #7
scottrtucker

Don't remove your harmonic balancer if you want to rev your engine to its full potential (redline and beyond). Resonance will snap your crankshaft in half even without pushing the engine hard.

The following URL has a very good article on the subject:

http://dinanbmw.com/html/danger_of_power_pulleys.htm

Thanks,

Scott Tuckerhttp://dinanbmw.com/html/danger_of_power_pulleys.htm
Old 03-06-2003, 10:30 PM   #8
scottrtucker

That is good the AEM kit doesn't remove the harmonic balancer. It is still my belief that the pulley kits do not significantly add to the acceleration of your car. When you go full throttle your air conditioning compressor is disengaged and on most new cars the drag from the alternator is reduced through the electronic engine management. This leaves the power steering pump which *does* drag a pretty significant amount of power, but on cars like mine (2002 Civic Si) that have electric power steering this isn't an issue. But if your power steering pump only drags 3-4 HP at max load wouldn't that mean you would have to reduce the pulley size significantly to see any reduction in drag? They do have less mass than stock and therefore do have some some benefit, the same as a lightweight flywheel, but I don't think you can shave 8 lbs off of a pulley set (does anybody know the average difference in mass between stock and AEM pulleys?)

-Scott Tucker
Old 03-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
Shot 2 Hel

if you dont have an intake/header/exhaust on your car yet I would go for that before i would change out the pulleys
Old 03-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #10
kilo97civic

well i have the entire exhaust system done, CAI, MSD ingnition, plugs and wires. I just wanted to start some of the stuff that actually requires some work to get on....i want either pulleys or cam gear, but i dont want the cam gear until i get cams, i might eveng et an fpr and rail, with some new injectors...i dont know, i jsut wanted to know what would be easier...
Old 03-10-2003, 01:57 PM   #11
spoogenet

The pulleys really won't buy you much. They're not all that much lighter and their diameter isn't all that much bigger. For the price I think they give a pretty low performance boost. The biggest difference they'll make is in looks and then you'll also need different sized belts than factory.

b
Old 03-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #12
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
The pulleys really won't buy you much. They're not all that much lighter and their diameter isn't all that much bigger. For the price I think they give a pretty low performance boost. The biggest difference they'll make is in looks and then you'll also need different sized belts than factory.

b

They do come with belts and replacements are easy to find. For a little over $100, I don't think its a bad mod.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:42 AM   #13
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
They do come with belts and replacements are easy to find. For a little over $100, I don't think its a bad mod.

Yeah I know, but if you ever do take the car to a service shop and they decide to try to change your belts for you.....it can just be a headache. Believe me, not everyone at shops are too smart.

My bro took his IS300 to one of the Lexus dealers where he lives to get one of the scheduled services done, he specifically requested that they do not rotate the tires as the service calls for because his front and rear wheels were not the same size. Whaddya know, they come out and complain that they had trouble rotating his tires, they also damaged his wheels in the process.....idiots. He got it taken care of, but it's still a hassle he didn't need.

$100? That's not bad. The cheapest price I think I've seen for my car is ~ $150.

b
Old 03-12-2003, 12:27 PM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

$100? That's not bad. The cheapest price I think I've seen for my car is ~ $150.

b

I got mine for ~$115 back in the day from a sale @ summit racing.