.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2003, 11:08 PM   #1
scottrtucker

Any Honda dealership technicians out there?

Does anyone know how the Civic Si's (or any new Honda for that matter) computer is reprogrammed? I work for a BMW dealership and we reprogram the cars through the diagnostic port. Does Honda have a factory tool that is used to diagnose and reprogram the car. Are there any Honda technicians out there?

Also does anyone know what type of bus the Honda ECU and other control units use? (i.e.: CAN (controller Area Network) bus)

Thanks,

Scott Tucker
Old 02-19-2003, 11:55 PM   #2
armyguy5
3rd Gear

my bro's a honda tech...i'll ask him

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 01:42 AM   #3
scottrtucker

Right on, thanks. Ask him what dealership he works for.

Thanks,

Scott Tucker
Old 02-20-2003, 07:21 AM   #4
armyguy5
3rd Gear

i know what dealership he works for...not gonna say though

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
Old 02-20-2003, 08:08 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by armyguy5
i know what dealership he works for...not gonna say though

chris

bad advertising

as far as i know the computers are not programable from the dealership. if u reset them they will map by themselves but not by much. however hondata stage 4 allows the programming of the ecu with any DOS PC.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #6
armyguy5
3rd Gear

The Civic Si like the previous model year civics(2001+), they are reprogrammed thru the DLC using the HIM(Honda Intergrated Module IIRC). The program is slected off HondaNet or thru the ISIS system. these flashes are not avialalbe to the public only to honda certified technicians and dealerships. The Honda PGM-FI Tester is the tool we use for now, the Honda Tablet is due out shortly(like your Modic system but smaller). These are available to Honda Technicians once again. AS for the Bus system, the 2003 Accord is the first to use an A-Can/B-Can multiplex control system. IIRC the Civic Si is still written in Hexadecimal. We aren't paid to know what's old and how it works but rather what's new and how we benefit from it.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:35 PM   #7
scottrtucker

Thanks for the excellent information!

What I am interested in doing is figuring out how to communicate with the cars ECU to reprogram the maps. From what I have heard the flash memory is integral with the CPU, so lifting the chip off the board and reading it would not work.

It would be really cool to have control over those maps because once you do the posibilities are endless. You could build a supercharged system, for example, without having to resort to half-assed mechanical devices like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Plus all OBD2 functions would still work so the kit could be made emissions legal in all 50 states.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I think I need to become buddies with a diagnostic tech from one of the dealers in my area.

Thanks,

Scott Tucker
Old 03-02-2003, 11:03 PM   #8
chase

Save yourself a ton of time and money and just go buy a stand-alone if you think you need something like that. If you are not boosting over about 8 psi or juicing over a 50-75 shot and you dont have over $2,000 in n/a mods----you dont need to mess with that kind of stuff. It is wasted money unless you fall into one of the 3 catagories above.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:03 PM   #9
scottrtucker

Are any of the stand alone ECU's 50 state emissions legal? Any modification you make to the engine (header, cold air intake, throttle body, etc) is going to change the fuel mixture and ignition timing requirements. On an OBD2 car like this you are also likely to trip a check engine light from any mods you do. By having control of fuel and spark maps you can optimize fuel and spark for your mods and get more power.

Scott Tucker
Old 03-06-2003, 03:55 PM   #10
chase

how about this, with a stand-alone. you can adjust every aspect of the timing and air fuel delivery so you can adjust it so that it will pass emmisions and then when you get home, jsut reprogram it for performance. once you do it once or twice, it should only take about 10 minutes or less as long as you save the maps for both settings-obd2 and performance. the down side to theis, seeing as you are in cali,- i believe that at the emmisions center they look at the obd2 readiness tests. which means if the stand-alone does not support them, you cant pass. also if you clear the codes and the light is out but the fault is still there- they can see it anyway.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:55 PM   #11
Shot 2 Hel

AEM just came out with a thing that you can plug straight into the stock ECU to control the various aspects of how the car is running. But it isnt street legal. So i dont know if that is a possibility or not.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:51 PM   #12
chase

if its a ems--its a standalone ecu-it doesnt plug into the computer--it takes the place of the ecu--plugs into the ecu harness connectors.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:38 PM   #13
nonovurbizniz

well.... you know it's in hex you could just hack it at this point.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #14
scottrtucker

That's the problem - getting the data (in HEX) out of the stock ECU. Then there's the problem of separating the programming logic from the tuning maps. But I'm up for the challenge.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:36 AM   #15
nonovurbizniz

Find out which pinouts on the ecu are the input and output for the honda tuning module...

write a sniffing program... and monitor the outputs. at the same time monitor the voltages of the sensor input/outputs... this should give you a realatively good perspective on what's happening... as far as relation between tps,spark,fuel, etc...

good luck.. I was planning on doing this for a while but then realized between equipment to actually accomplish this I could just buy a hondata (about 15 times over)... so I never did it..

However a friend of mine who own's a gas station has a costumer who FULLY hacked his miata... all on his own but he's a techie from hell. I've been trying to get hooked up with the guy see if he's interested in doing it on my car and marketing the system we come up with (pipe dreams).