Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
02_Si
2nd Gear

paint keeps chipping

Why is my paint chipping? Does anyone else have this problem... I drive on the freeway a lot... that might be the problem but I have these little chips around the bumper area... I use EAGLE car wash so I don't think it's that... and I use soft rags... I wax twice a year... someone give me some advice :( does anyone know if paint is covered in the warranty? My clear coat is starting to peel also on the back bumper?? WTF
Old 06-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #2
DJWURM

Paint is not covered under warranty as far as i know, thats a cosmetic thing and doesnt pertain to the car actually working..

as for the chipping the bumpers and bottom of the car get brutalized on highways and streets, my 99 ex has chips all around the bottom of the front and rear bumper, its just normal wear and tear....
Old 06-16-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Mischief(LTS)

you wax... twice a year? twice... in a single year? what the hell? thats why. take care of your damn paint!!!!!!! dood, you should wash and wax at LEAST once a month. meguars, mothers, those are good brands to use.

freeways can get pretty messy sometimes. you can get rocks thrown at you and those can scratch the paint.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
02_Si
2nd Gear

I wash once a week... but I've only had the car for about six months and I've waxed it twice... so that's good enough for now anyway... my paint still shouldn't be chipping at only six months... I use Mother's wax... but the freeways here in AZ are always crowded... really bad here... and it has a lot of pollution.. so many allergies...
Old 06-16-2003, 06:45 PM   #5
Mischief(LTS)

weather can also be a factor. i suppose in that kind of dry climate you get alot of crap on the car. the heat probably doesent help either

my suggestion is to get a car cover or something for overnight so stuff doesent collect. make sure you keep dirt off. other than that i have no other explanation of what can do that besides rocks and stuff
Old 06-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

actually honda has a 10yr warranty on paint and the body (considering that the car is not involved in any accident). that would work for the rear bumper only thou. the front one i'm sure it's debris from the road

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:24 PM   #7
Mischief(LTS)

paint warantee, hahah! w000000t
Old 06-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The clear coat coming off is an issue. The other stuff is normal. You might get a bra for it. That would help. Just remember to take it off and clean underneath it regularly.....
Old 06-17-2003, 01:07 AM   #9
sc0rch

dont feel bad....when i bought my car it had 2 tiny dents on the driver side....now someone has hit it in a parking lot and messed up the passenger fender and some little kids were throwing rocks one day and dented up the passenger side and driver side....plus i didnt notice when i bought the car....but the hood was covered in touch up paint and everytime i wash it i find more grey specs on it......so i'm gonna buy a carbonfiber hood just so i dont have that problem anymore
Old 06-17-2003, 01:36 PM   #10
nonovurbizniz

the chipping is from driving at highway speeds in an area where sand is prevelant... it's called "sandblasting" and it's what happens to your car EVERY time you drive on the highway... or anywhere else there's someone in front of you kicking up sand...

I have repainted my wiper arms twice in 6mo. because of how chipped they get...

a bra will help it but will also cause the parts under the bra to dis-color at a different rate than the rest of the car (especially in AZ).

there is basically nothing you can do to stop it other than staying like 1/4 mi behind EVERYONE else on the highway.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:41 PM   #11
sohc_vtec 2NR

for those of you that have sandblasted knows how powerful it is for removing paint...
Old 08-07-2003, 01:10 AM   #12
TunerHonda

Clear Car Bra

I put a clear car bra on my vehicle, a month after I bought it and boy am I glad I did so!

The installer was mobile, did a very professional job, and now when I drive I laugh at gravel trucks! (too bad its not true for my windshield

Here's the guy's website!

www.sheershield.com
Old 08-07-2003, 07:09 AM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Clear Car Bra

Quote:
Originally posted by TunerHonda
I put a clear car bra on my vehicle, a month after I bought it and boy am I glad I did so!

The installer was mobile, did a very professional job, and now when I drive at laugh at gravel trucks!

Here's the guy's website!

www.sheershield.com

I've seen those before. I think they also have them in pre formed applications that a normal person can apply.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:45 AM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yup, pretty much all the expesive dealeships is cleveland has them. you can't even see them unless you look very careful at the car.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:35 AM   #15
TunerHonda

Addict, what kinda car you going with next?
Old 08-08-2003, 09:43 AM   #16
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by TunerHonda
Addict, what kinda car you going with next?

Already have a 98 GS-T. Sticking with that until I get tired of modding it. Just have to sell the Si before I can go all out with it.