::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Prelude
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
phylersphan10

1989 Prelude Auto Trans. problems

My honda prelude is very screwed up at the moment.its an 89 si (dohc) and the automatic transmission loves to stay in second gear.it usually only shifts to third gear if i red line it and then it will immediatley return to second.i have fooled around with the throttle valve cable but it only shifts correctly for a few miles and then messes up again.i have heard everything(but not exactly) from a fried solenoid to junking the whole car.anybody got a clue?let me know.any info is greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Old 07-13-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
pimpinprelude

yea those trannys arnt that good in those years.. i know of a 89 thats been dumped because of problems....i really dont know what to tell you.. if u cant fix it then take it somewhare..
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #3
phylersphan10

well im glad someone replied to my post very quickly.do you know anybody or website or anything that might have some sort or repair info or troubleshooting giude.ive got a haynes manual and a chiltons but they arent much good except for minor adjustments or ripping out the whole tranny.anything is greatly appreciated.ive been looking for several hours to see if i can find anything but this website is about it.thanks in advanced for anything youve got.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

does your s3 light blink ? does your s3 light come on when you start the car ? also do u have a k4 or py8a tranny ? different charts for the error codes

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:29 PM   #5
phylersphan10

it does not.i have asked many different sources,including a parts manager for a honda/acura dealer in town.he said that it might be the torque converter(i have no clue where that is) and/or the kickdown solenoid.it might also be a switch near the accelerator pedal which doesnt make a bunch of sense to me but im not an expert.anybody know what that switch is called?i dont know what kind of tranny it is either.i will try and find out soon though.

phylersphan10
Old 07-19-2003, 10:57 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah find out before i start typing a long ass table of codes here

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:54 PM   #7
phylersphan10

i have a k4 tranny.thats what it says in the chiltons.i cant find it on the tranny itself cuz the engine compartment is so crammed pack there is too much stuff in the way.i also have just located the automatic tranny control unit.the system diagnostic blinking light thin also said that my number 1 cylinder is out of position.im not sure if that has anything to do with my problem but i just thought you might know.thanks for all the info so far and i hope to hear from you soon.i have you on my aim list now too.so expect something from me whenever you get online if i am.my aim is the same as on here.

phylersphan10