.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2003, 04:31 PM   #1
KiilerB-16

Some question to help with my warranty claim...

first off, let me apologize for the extended nature of this post, but please bear with me as it is a pretty critical and time-sensitive issue...

i recently had my gearbox crap out on my '00 Si. The basic rundown is as follows: after i started the car i tried to get into reverse, and it wasn't happening....felt like the gear just wasn't there, so i tried to go into first, it went into gear, but by the response i was getting, it felt more like it was in third gear. the gearbox in general feels really slushy and out of place.

OK, so that covers the cars problem, here's mine: Honda is denying warranty coverage (the car is at 46K w/ a 60K warranty that doesn't expire for 18 months) because of the modifications on my car. However, the performance modifications are limited to CAI, Header, Cat-back exhaust and some plugs plug wires. suspension mods too, but i can't see those as an issue at all. now i'm relatively familiar with magnuson-moss and all, and honda is trying to deny the claim based on the assertation that "the added horsepower due to mods adds an additional burden to all the cars mechanical parts that can lead to premature failure." which i know is a load of crap. i know that, under magnuson-moss, they have the burden of proving that my mods directly caused the breakdown. and i know that even with the mods the engine itself is doubtedly making any more than maybe 195 at the flywheel. i'm sure honda will be able to get one of there techs to sign an affidavit saying that they feel the mods put too much hp strain on the tranny. realistically that tranny can handle a hell of a lot more, and i can probably find a tech somewhere to verify that. my questions them i guess, are
A) how likely is it that the added power could have added enough of a burden for this problem to arise, and
B)does the 00 Si share a tranny model with any of the higher output b series engines such as the b16c's or even the b18 engines? i think that is it does, that would pretty much blow honda's arguement right out of the water. i dunno.

anyhow, thats a rundown of the situation. any general advise, or prior experience with something liek this would be greatly appreciated.