::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2001, 12:23 AM   #1
VN-Tec

Those D16 With Turbos..

How fast do those usually go? As in HP..
Old 09-03-2001, 12:44 AM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

well, depending on the boost level. my car is not dynoed yet. a 40-50HP gain is expected on 5.5 psi boost on the GReddy kit. the problem is, the safest recommended maximum boost on d16 with STOCK internals is 8 psi. over it will be risky.......i know a guy who ran 14 psi on stock internals. it lasted a year and the car was being raced on the track almost constantly. it ran low 12's. i do NOT recommend above 8 tho.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 12:53 AM   #3
VN-Tec

Hey! U didnt say Hp!
Old 09-03-2001, 12:58 AM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
well, depending on the boost level. my car is not dynoed yet. a 40-50HP gain is expected on 5.5 psi boost on the GReddy kit. ...........
yes i did sir

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-03-2001, 02:09 AM   #5
VN-Tec

Ohhh Hehe.. SOrry.. So Around 200 Hp only :( Youll be better off with a swap huh
Old 09-03-2001, 02:29 AM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

i'm all good for now. the engine is fairly new so i disregarded swap. if my engine blows up, i'll get me a b18 or b20z swap. yeah, i like torque monsters....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-03-2001, 04:25 AM   #7
MrCLoWnY

I BELIEVE THAT A D16 TURBOED WILL HANG OR EVEN BEAT A CIVIC WITH AN ENGINE SWAP. dEPENDING ON THE MOTOR THAT IS BEING SWAPPED.
Old 09-03-2001, 09:58 AM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

me to G.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-03-2001, 04:25 PM   #9
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

You can get up to 225 with a good turbo and the bottom end built. Forget the swap, represent SOHC power, YEah
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 05:18 PM   #10
Ice

sohc power

Soon as i get some money saved up my sohc is getting bored, stroked, and sleeved out to 1.8 liters. And then comes the turbo
This engine is also a d15b
Old 09-03-2001, 05:45 PM   #11
MrCLoWnY

I was thinking of getting new pistons, rods, block guards and etc. etc. But yesterday i was going through jg's website and they sell a complete jg block for $1900 and they claim that that bottom end is good up to 30 lbs of boost. SHit. I think im gonna get me one of these. ALso the block is blueprinted too with resleepved and new pistons, rods and more. WHat ya guys thinK??
Old 09-03-2001, 06:49 PM   #12
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by MrCLoWnY
I was thinking of getting new pistons, rods, block guards and etc. etc. But yesterday i was going through jg's website and they sell a complete jg block for $1900 and they claim that that bottom end is good up to 30 lbs of boost. SHit. I think im gonna get me one of these. ALso the block is blueprinted too with resleepved and new pistons, rods and more. WHat ya guys thinK??
hell yeah man get it!.......so, when u gonna go gambling again

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-03-2001, 08:22 PM   #13
VN-Tec

Yes thats true, But i was thinking with the money for turbo, Is about the same for a B16A Engine.. You will be way more better off with the B16A Engine due to the fact its much beefier and easier to make go fast am i correct?
Old 09-03-2001, 08:42 PM   #14
MrCLoWnY

Quote:

hell yeah man get it!.......so, when u gonna go gambling again

Actually i went to vegas about a month ago and they jacked my ass. Shit. FU$k Vegas. hahhahaa juss kidding I love Vegas. GIrls are beautiful, cluBs are PopPin and THe CarDS TabLEs are ALways OpEn. AND i lOVe smokin in restaurants after a good meal. hahahahaha.

Quote:
Orignally POstEd by Vn-TEC
Yes thats true, But i was thinking with the money for turbo, Is about the same for a B16A Engine.. You will be way more better off with the B16A Engine due to the fact its much beefier and easier to make go fast am i correct?

Well it all depends on how u look at the situation VN TEC. I don't know how much you can get the B16's for but i got my kit and greddy turbotimer and type s blowoff for $1550. Neways say you do get the b16 and mod it with CAI, Exhaust, and Headers which will cost you around say $700 dollars + the cost of the motor. I will still beat you. So the fact is that you will have to do spend more money to beat me. And yes you are correct about the b16 being beefy. If you turbo your b16 you'll probably smoke my ass with my current setup. And people say there are issues of maintainin a turbo motor is a bitch but i have found that there really isn't much more than i have before. So look at all the options and make your decision wisely. Having a DOHC is DOPE But having a TUrboed SOHC that HISses WHen you change gears that can Also Beat DOHC's is The SHIT.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:34 PM   #15
thermal
Banning Machine

i'm not here to "dog" the b16's. for all i care, that is the most powerful 1.6L DOHC in the world!!!!

the disappointment came to play with the torque spec. obviously, it can be worked with....with $$$$ ofcourse. and do NOT get me wrong, i would've have bought me a 99 Si, if i only knew what i was getting into by buying myself a HONDA. i just think that if i ever go for a swap, i'll be picking a power plant with decent torque.....and my choice is the B20Z VTEC conversion or not.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-04-2001, 05:58 PM   #16
VN-Tec

Got me there :-/
Old 09-05-2001, 03:13 AM   #17
MrCLoWnY

Hey Thermal when u do an engine swap im gonna swap mine too. hahaha.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:19 PM   #18
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by MrCLoWnY
Hey Thermal when u do an engine swap im gonna swap mine too. hahaha.
ha ha ha....dont wait on me bro.....that may take a while...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-06-2001, 03:34 AM   #19
MrCLoWnY

sHOULDNT THIS BE IN THE turbo FORUM?
Old 09-07-2001, 08:46 PM   #20
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

Yeah get outta my forum. J/k Nothing much going on in here. Reading this post is giving me something to do. Maybe when the Civic forum gets going I will move it.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
Old 09-10-2001, 06:01 PM   #21
Boosted3g

Why not go turbo B18A/B? Just run them stock and if they blow they are disposable. A new one will only cost you a few hunred bucks and they will smoke a turbo B16A anyday. Youll have gobs of torque with this set up also.
Old 09-12-2001, 08:32 PM   #22
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

THats a great idea. If you all decide to do that I'll buy your turbo for the D16 off ya good a good price.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
Old 09-13-2001, 04:03 AM   #23
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
...i know a guy who ran 14 psi on stock internals. it lasted a year and the car was being raced on the track almost constantly. it ran low 12's...
Ahem... excuse me, but you know a guy that runs low 12's with a turboed D16 with OE internals??? That would require around 360 WHP. I think your friend is lieing to you, bro...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 05:13 AM   #24
MrCLoWnY

possible with lowered compression with the use of a head gasket.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:19 PM   #25
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
Ahem... excuse me, but you know a guy that runs low 12's with a turboed D16 with OE internals??? That would require around 360 WHP. I think your friend is lieing to you, bro...
........you're excused. it worked. the car was just not very reliable, even on the track. he doesnt have any reason to lie to me. he wanted to blow that engine up anyway. dont ask me why. i dont have money like he does.......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-15-2001, 02:04 PM   #26
Mr Sleeper

uhh, if I can remember !

Correct me if I am wrong, since this is a new web board, and most of you guys are from SHO, you should remember MATt3t4. He was running 14 psi with stock internals and was pulling low 13's
Oh and the JG block, I have one installed in my civic ex and for only 1900 dollars. Well worth the money and now boosting 14 psi.
Only hitting low 13's
Old 09-15-2001, 02:23 PM   #27
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

SHO??? WHERE'S THAT???

R U talking about that other Honda site??? The one that goes down more than Michael Jackson in a Spa full of boys???

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sleeper
Correct me if I am wrong, since this is a new web board, and most of you guys are from SHO, you should remember MATt3t4. He was running 14 psi with stock internals and was pulling low 13's.
There's a big difference between low 12's and low 13's.
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 02:34 PM   #28
Mr Sleeper

i am pretty sure 12's are possible when dynotuned. In my case, mine is not. I also have yet to get a standalone ecu. With the dynotune and ecu, i am pretty sure high 12's are in order.
Old 09-15-2001, 06:28 PM   #29
MrCLoWnY

Good shit SLeeper. How do u like your jg block?? i am plannin to get mine soon and when i do im gonna get rid of my GREDDY KIT and get me a Revhard stage II and boost 28 lbs. or 2 bars.
Old 09-16-2001, 01:03 AM   #30
thermal
Banning Machine

......yes i was talking about mat. i will confirm the numbers....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-16-2001, 06:04 AM   #31
Boosted3g

I think 12s are a possibility but your tuning has to be right on. One little ping at this level and you can kiss that engine goodbye. We have done it with several B16As but that is a far cry from a SOHC engine. But then again we also have a ton of pistons laying around with broken ring lands.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:37 AM   #32
civicjdmgsr

hey mrclowny what front lip do you have on your civic? and where did you get that armrest? did your car come stock like that?
Old 10-12-2001, 04:27 PM   #33
JaY D. Em

Man, i've got a b16 myself and i love it, i don't lose, but it's because i've forked over a bit of cash too... For all you d16er's you've got hope. The next thing i'm bout to tell you is not bull shiet and is totally TOTALLY fact...

There's a shop down in San Antonio, TX that's thing is d16 motors and FMAX kits. They run 12's all day long... All they did to the motor itself is put a thicker head gasket dropping it down to around 8.5:1 compression. They run 13-15 lbs daily on the street. But before you go buying a greddy metal headgasket, be sure you've got the fuel and clutch to hold that boost. And i swear to you these foolz have done nothing else but put a FMAX kit, thicker headgasket, v-afc and some tuning... NOT EVEN DYNO TUNED YET!!! This is by far the most amazing shiet i've ever witnessed. So amazing FMAX hook'd dem foolz up wit a ditributing deal and everything. FMAX couldn't believe it till they showed dem dah timeslips... Dese fools are GOOD!!! I'll get ya'll an e-mail. Dey'd be happy to help ya'll, i believe, with any questions you might have about turbo and d16's. Peace::
Old 10-26-2001, 11:48 PM   #34
VN-Tec

Question is.. How long will they last though..
Old 10-27-2001, 10:33 AM   #35
JaY D. Em

Well, They've had the same set up not blown for 2 years now. That just goes to show you, if you know what you're doin' you can make your car do whatever you want. Let me remind you that they don't have a dyno... Just set the v-afc off of knowledge... Probably could hit a whole lot better time if they had one... It's funny, the motor's lasted longer than the cars... This is the second car it's been in. I dunno, maybe going dohc isn't all that great? Yeah right!!!
Old 10-28-2001, 05:35 AM   #36
MrCLoWnY

What 1/4 time do they ruN?
Old 10-28-2001, 11:58 AM   #37
JaY D. Em

:: Between the 3 of them they run 12.70's - 12.90's all day long. On slicks of course... They run about 15 lbs at the track... I wouldn't recommend doing it on any other kit than the f-max kit unless you've got additional injectors like the kit has and you've got some kind of tuning... They don't even have a dyno and they still hit those times... They say those runs aren't even good ones, they're dumping alot of fuel at the end of each gear on their hatchback... Expected to run low low 12's!!! So i guess, what i've been trying to tell you is that if you don't wanna go dohc you don't really have to... You have to be using some kind of replacement for displacement (ie forced induction), but it'll be fast!
Old 10-28-2001, 12:18 PM   #38
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by JaY D. Em
:: Between the 3 of them they run 12.70's - 12.90's all day long. On slicks of course... They run about 15 lbs at the track... I wouldn't recommend doing it on any other kit than the f-max kit unless you've got additional injectors like the kit has and you've got some kind of tuning... They don't even have a dyno and they still hit those times... They say those runs aren't even good ones, they're dumping alot of fuel at the end of each gear on their hatchback... Expected to run low low 12's!!! So i guess, what i've been trying to tell you is that if you don't wanna go dohc you don't really have to... You have to be using some kind of replacement for displacement (ie forced induction), but it'll be fast!
DAYM!....i knew it all along.....there is hope for us d16's

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 10-28-2001, 04:00 PM   #39
VN-Tec

I wonder wat would happen if they were beefed up..
Old 11-09-2001, 12:53 PM   #40
VTC_CiViC

Interesting discussion, here are my .02$. The D16 is a much stronger engine that it is given credit for, that's a fact. I've got a couple friend's who've both seen 14-16psi in stock motor'd D16Z6's, this is with the stock CR and of course with proper fuel management. What evdidently is the #1 fault in the D16's is the strength of the sleeves. Both motors eventually failed not because of a thrown rod or melted piston, but because the sleeve's began to warp under the 15psi pressures (this motor had no block guard or other sleeve wall reinforcment, like I said.. bone stock!). Now I personally wound't reccomend running this much psi in a daily driver, why? Well quite simply, although the motor CAN handle such boost levels, the margin of error you're not dealing with is incredibly small. The further you push the envelop, the smaller the window of error get's... one small hiccup in the fuel.. :BOOM: :: For these reason's, I'd leave the stock bottom end of a well setup D16 alone at 10-11psi, perhaps 12-13psi w/ 110 octane for track duties, but no more. Now my plans are for a full bottom end build next year courtesy of SFP here in Miami. Balanced crank, all new bearings, Eagle rods, JE 9.0:1 pistons w/ total seal rings, ARP bolts/studs, NuForms welded BG etc.. After some massaging of the head ports, I'd like to see 12psi daily, 15-16psi for track duties out of the eventual T04E-60 trim (stg 2 wheel, .48 A/R) and easy 12's all day . This on a basicaly built D16. Another great thing about building the D16, because of all of the swap monkey's out there, D16 parts are a dime a dozen.. good to know just incase anything does break