Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2001, 08:38 PM   #1
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Best Oil Filter?

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
...I got to thinking. Do some oil filters allow better flow then others? Do you guys have any certain opinions on which oil filters are good and which arent so good? Or do you just use whatever?
Yeah, I 'studied' oil filters for months. I could 'go on' about this subject for pages. Bottom line is, I run the Purolator "PureONE" PL14459. They list for $13.50, but Pep Boys sells them for $5.99 in our area. They are simply THE best paper media oil filter you can buy --- period.

My second choice would be the ACDelco UltraGuard Gold UPF1127. Pep Boys sells them for $8.99. They have synthetic media. These are the best synthetic media filters you can buy.

My third choice would be the Mobil 1 M1-104. They are about the same price as the ACDelco. These are generic Champion synthetic media filters, with a think-walled case and no facets. They're okay, but... The K&N oil filter is the same generic Champion filter with a 'nut' welded on the end of the case, so you can remove it with a regular wrench.

Lastly --- I would got the OE route. I think you can get Honda OE filters for about $3.99/mail order the last time I checked... If you're going to go this route, you might as well buy a 99-cent Pennzoil filter at K-mart and save your money, IMO.

This is proof that I use them...

This is what they look like 'inside.' Notice the Teflon valve?

Look ma, no facets! This is what I HATE about Mobil 1 filters...
No way to remove them with anything but a 'strap' wrench.

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE FRAM FILTERS!!! FRAM SUCKS!!!
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 09:01 PM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Thanks BDC... I figured you know.. ::
Old 11-29-2001, 09:04 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Thanks for the post BDC. Since I don't know too much about oil filters, could you tell me why you chose the ones you did? Also, is OEM really that bad? Thanks...

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 10:11 PM   #4
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Come on... don't make me do this...:o

First of all, Fram makes sh!t filters. This has been true since Allied Signal took them over. They have a nice radioactive-orange paint job, but all you have to do is look inside one to see what a piece of junk they are; you don't even have to cut them open; just look in 'the hole.' Having said that, they are the #1 seller. Go figure. Ppl are stupid! Frams 'catch your eye', and they're easy on your pocketbook. You can buy them at Wal-Mart for 2/$5, 365 days a year...

My primary concern with Fram filters are their cardboard end caps. The cardboard will deteriorate over time and come loose. I would be particularly concerned about this in a racing environment where higher pressures are common.

I don't normally shop at Pep Boys, but they have the best selection of oil filters of any auto store I've ever been in. Go to a Pep Boys and get the filters I've talked about. Take them to the parts counter and open the boxes up, place them side-by-side and look inside the filters. That will probably be enough to make you swear off of Fram filters for life.

Here's some hype on the PureONE:

"Why purchase a PureONE filter over other leading brands?"

PureONE offers several advantages over leading filter brands:

Filtration Efficiency. PureONE is clearly superior to all other leading brands. With its exclusive Micronic ® filtration system, PureONE captures 96% of all contaminants as measured by the Society of Automotive Engineers' (SAE) #J806 Multiple Pass Test.

More pleats. Provide more filter surface area to prevent oil restriction and allow an added measure of engine protection.

Silicone anti-drainback valve. Retains oil in the filter providing quick lubrication to vital engine parts at start-up. (On models as required by the manufacturer.)

PTFE coated sealing gasket. Reduces friction to assist in removal of the filter.

"How is PureONE's media different from that of other filters?"

PureONE's Micronic ® media is the result of years of research and testing, and it represents the very best in filtering performance available today. The media is not coated with any engine treatment, nor will it strip the engine oil of any additive package that may have been used.

"What is the Multiple Pass Test?"

The Multiple Pass Test of Life and Weighted Average Efficiency (SAE J806) tests a series of oil filter performance variables using a constant flow of contaminated oil through the filter. It measures the media's ability to remove fine dust from oil over an extended period of time-not just the first pass through.

"How does the Single Pass Test differ from the Multiple Pass Test?"

The single pass test merely passes fluid containing tiny glass beads through the filter media. Any beads that pass through are measured to determine the media's efficiency.

In Purolater's opinion, the Multiple Pass Test is much more representative of real life conditions than the Single Pass Test.

For the record, however, PureONE ranked #1 in both Multiple Pass and Single Pass Efficiency Tests.

"If the Single Pass Test efficiency for the PureONE filter is 99.7%, why does it go down to 96% in a Multiple Pass Test?"

As described above, they are two entirely different tests measuring different filter performance requirements.

"Do PureONE's added pleats reduce oil filter flow?"

No. The added pleats help reduce restriction by providing a broader filtration area.

"What is a micron rating?"

Many questions have arisen as to what a micron rating is, and how PureONE compares in this regard with other leading brands.

To begin with, there is no "standard" for a "micron rating." In other words, a micron rating means different things to different people -- depending on who's doing the testing, what type/weight of oil is used, at what rate the oil is injected into the media, etc.

Purolator, therefore, has chosen the BETA ratio-SAE Test J1858-as being representative of its "micron rating." A BETA ratio is a measure of the number of particles that enter the filter to the number of particles that leave the filter. The PureONE filter has a BETA ratio of 7.2 at 10 microns. This corresponds to an efficiency rating of 86.1%-meaning that the PureONE filter removes 86.1% of 10 micron-sized particles and above from contaminated oil-43.5% better than the closest competitor!

Following is a list of some of the leading brand's BETA ratios and corresponding efficiencies at a particle size of 10 microns: *

Brand BETA Ratio Efficiency Rating:

PureONE 7.2 86.1% efficient
Fram Extraguard 2.5 60.0% efficient
Hard Driver 2.2 54.5% efficient
Wix Sport Truck 2.2 54.5% efficient
AC Duraguard 1.5 33.3% efficient

*Data was compiled in accordance with SAE Test Procedure J1858
on PureONE PL 30001 oil filter and competitive equivalents.

"What is the significance of a "silicone" anti-drainback valve?"

Silicone provides a higher resistance to heat and cold, and allows greater flexibility than traditional nitrite rubber gaskets.

"Can I go longer intervals between oil changes with PureONE?"

It is recommended that you change your oil every 3,000 miles, or according to the owner's manual. The PureONE filter is designed to give you optimum protection over the life of your oil change.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Most North American Honda OE filters are made by Toyo Roki. If you want to read about them, follow this link.

Two things here. I'm sure they are V nice ppl, but has anyone besides me ever heard of them??? Plus, you get what you pay for; you know?

Secondly, the larger point here is that Honda DOES NOT make their own filters, as so many ppl think. While they are made by Toyo Roki, they usually say "Made in Canada" and look V similar in construction to the Fram filter mentioned above, cardboard end caps and all, but with increased surface area and increased inlet area. Personally, I would not be suprised if Toyo Roki has outsourced these filters to Allied Signal. If it says "Made in Canada", beware!!!

Anyone familiar with Hondas knows that the Japanese keep the best for themselves. This apparently applies to oil filters as well. The JDM Toyo Roki filters use steel end caps, a steel bypass valve [with V stiff spring], and a media that looks similar in thickness and quality to premium paper media filters like the PureONE. They say "Made in Japan."

It should be noted that these filters are NOT available in the North America at all; they are only available in Japan, the orient, and more than likely the UK and Australia. The only way to get one from Honda in the US is to purchase a new Honda made in Japan. This is the filter that they put on the S2000 at the factory.

In the US, if you order the JDM part number, you will be subbed a US or Canadian filter instead. So far, there is no one known to be importing these filters. If you want one, you will have to find a source and have it shipped yourself.

If you are REALLY unlucky, you will end up with an OE filter that says "made in USA." These are the worst pieces of crap imaginable. This filter looks identical to the Toyo Roki-made JDM filter at first glance; externally the same construction. The only indicator is the "FILTECH" stamped on the outside [a large US manufacturer of filters under various brand names].

Internally it's [almost] identical to the JDM filter; steel end caps, steel bypass valve, et cetera. What makes it stand out as different is the radically different filter media. The US media looks much, much worse than the Fram. While the filter itself is constructed very well [like the Japanese one], it also has the least surface area of all the Honda filters [though only a few inches less than the Canadian one].

Is the PureONE looking better to you know???
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise

Last edited by BlackDeuceCoupe : 11-29-2001 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:59 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
Come on... don't make me do this...:o

Sorry to make you do that, but thanks A LOT for that explanation. The PureONE looks a hell of a lot better actually. Time to switch filters, and perfect timing, I'm changing my oil this weekend.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 07:40 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Man BDC, Thanks for the detailed reply... People dont think about that kinda stuff before purchasing. Thats why I thought of starting this, as I stood there in walmart and looked at all the FRAM oil filters, I began to get a funny feeling, that told me to turn around and walk away very quickly so I did.

Regaurdless of what people say sometimes.. Your great to have around..
Old 11-30-2001, 07:53 AM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

I have always used the PureOne. I have absolutely no complants. And BDC's right, the construction of the filter itself makes the others look bad.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:46 AM   #8
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Wow, that cleared up a lot of questions..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 03:42 PM   #9
Boosted3g

I like the pureone but my only complaint from it is the very soft side walls. I normally use a filter pliars if I cant get it by hand which may be some of the cause. i dont know I havent tried them for a while so maybe its time to change being that I am assembling my engine for next years season. After hearing what BDC has to say at the least it wouldnt hurt to give them another try.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:29 AM   #10
Dezoris

Don't you listen to me BDC, You can stop knocking Mobil
keen eyes will see
Old 12-01-2001, 12:56 PM   #11
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
I like the pureone but my only complaint from it is the very soft side walls. I normally use a filter...
Get yourself a 'filter socket' and use a 3/8" ratchet to remove your filter. They're cheap and make a world of difference. This one was under 3 bones. If I have a choice, I choose metal sockets, but plastic is okay if the sides are deep enough...
Old 12-01-2001, 01:19 PM   #12
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Dezoris
Don't you listen to me BDC, You can stop knocking Mobil
keen eyes will see
Yeah, I listen to you. Remember this???

Actually, your pic brings up a good point --- filter area.

I'm going to start trying some larger cans and see how they work. I know these filters will work on a CiViC too, but I haven't 'tested' them yet:
  • Purolator PL24458 - extra capacity- slightly larger than OE
  • Mobil 1 - M1-105 and M1-208 [no bypass valve], both of which are at least 20% larger than OE
So, Mobil 1 is still in the running...
Old 12-01-2001, 05:23 PM   #13
Dezoris

I never recommended high gloss you did that to yourself!!
Looks like you put lard on it!

Also you are missing something in the picture!!
get out your filter wrench, problem solved, purolator lover!
Old 12-01-2001, 09:16 PM   #14
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Well I decided to go with the M1-105.. Since I can get it locally and not have to drive 50+ miles.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:18 PM   #15
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
I never recommended high gloss you did that to yourself!!
Looks like you put lard on it!
OT: Yeah, it actually worked out okay [no pun intended]. Every couple of days I would take a rag and wipe my tires off. They looked like new every time. I'll still like the Armour All foam better though.

Old 12-01-2001, 11:45 PM   #16
Dezoris

Quote:
Well I decided to go with the M1-105.. Since I can get it locally and not have to drive 50+ miles.
M104
Old 12-01-2001, 11:47 PM   #17
Dezoris

Quote:
OT: Yeah, it actually worked out okay [no pun intended]. Every couple of days I would take a rag and wipe my tires off. They looked like new every time. I'll still like the Armour All foam better though.

I used to love the foam, but the over spray would always make its way to the paint, i ****ing hate that.

By the way here is a great post for you.
http://www.superhonda.org/board/show...493#post788493
Old 12-01-2001, 11:59 PM   #18
delsolguy

Another oil filter review...

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml
Old 12-02-2001, 12:09 PM   #19
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:

I used to love the foam, but the over spray would always make its way to the paint, i ****ing hate that.

By the way here is a great post for you.
http://www.superhonda.org/board/show...493#post788493
You don't HAVE TO spray the foam on the tires [and your paint], you know. It's like polishing the furniture. You can spray it on a rag and apply it that way.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:02 AM   #20
Dezoris

That is too much work! I follow directions!! I do what it says, I would void my warranty if I did not
Old 12-03-2001, 07:23 AM   #21
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

M104

Yeah thats what I meant..
Old 12-03-2001, 08:05 AM   #22
Dezoris

Quote:

Yeah thats what I meant..
I was just being a turd
Just like those guys
"did you get that part # 823090sklaiuoksd482908FF"

"No Larry it is part # 823090sklaiuoksd482908Fq, ***!"
Old 12-03-2001, 08:10 AM   #23
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

I was just being a turd
Just like those guys

I think the post that you posted said something about the M1-105 and I had just come back from the store and they only had 1 104 and about 100 105's, so I had 105 stuck in my head..
Old 12-03-2001, 11:03 AM   #24
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:

I think the post that you posted said something about the M1-105 and I had just come back from the store and they only had 1 104 and about 100 105's, so I had 105 stuck in my head..
Generally, you want the largest sized oil filter you can get; the biggest one that will fit inside the engine compartment. You just have to make sure the mount design is the same - threads, o-ring, anti-drainback valve et cetera. I've done this on every car I've owned, except the CiViC. And, I'm going to do it on the CiViC as well. That's where you got the M1-105.

For "purolator lover's" the Purolator PureONE PL24458 should work . Mobil 1 would be the M1-105 and M1-208 [a M1-105 without the bypass valve].

Anyway, I haven't checked them out yet, so I cannot say for sure if [any of] these filters will work. I'll let you know later...
Old 12-03-2001, 11:05 AM   #25
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:

I was just being a turd
Just like those guys

How about guys that tell you a HX wheel weighs 11.75 pounds, not 14???
Old 12-03-2001, 11:15 AM   #26
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

Anyway, I haven't checked them out yet, so I cannot say for sure if [any of] these filters will work. I'll let you know later...

Id appreciate it. Cause I can get the M1-105 easier then I can get a M1-104..

If they work..
Old 12-03-2001, 11:55 AM   #27
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

An oil filter with a larger capacity would require more oil to be added correct? How would you determine the amount that is needed to added?
Old 12-03-2001, 12:00 PM   #28
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
An oil filter with a larger capacity would require more oil to be added correct? How would you determine the amount that is needed to added?

Bye Checking the dip stick periodically after youve added oil to see if you need to add a little more to compensate for the stuff thats in the filter.