::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2003, 09:59 PM   #1
OPAKRACING

Civic coupe vs. civic hatch....

a b18c1 turbo should be just as good in a civic coupe as in a civic hatch right? i mean besides the fact that the hatch is a tad lighter.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
VR4_Craver
Banned

right.....although i think the civic DX is lighter then the hatches now...but hey no power steering or ac....what more do you got right??
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by VR4_Craver
right.....although i think the civic DX is lighter then the hatches now...but hey no power steering or ac....what more do you got right??

Yea....that was confusing....rephrase maybe?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:40 PM   #4
nonovurbizniz

he's saying the DX (a coupe) is now lighter than the hatch...

Although... It has NO power steering or AC... what else could you remove... (i think)
Old 04-20-2003, 10:43 PM   #5
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
he's saying the DX (a coupe) is now lighter than the hatch...

Although... It has NO power steering or AC... what else could you remove... (i think)

Well, i could start by removing the phat speaker box on my rear axle, hehe....but gotta have my music.

so are you guy saying that a turbo'ed b18c1 would be JUST as good, in a civic hatch, as a civic coupe?

...plz say yes, lol....j/k, be honest...
Old 04-20-2003, 10:47 PM   #6
nonovurbizniz

You don't have a rear axle.

It doesn't matter if you put in a bus the engine will perform as well as it's built.

Do you really care about weight... Are you planning on stripping the interior?

If not and considering you have a box in you trunk I'd say hatch or coupe is a personal preference.. your obviously not concerned with weight...

The simple answer is the heavier the car the slower. so there you go.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:47 PM   #7
juvenile

So you want to build a fast car and have subs in the back?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:53 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

OH NO... he wants a stereo... so what I have a box in my trunk I'm not gunna take it out for the whole 50 lbs it'll save.. that's just stupid..

All this stripping interiors and shit is SOOOOO stupid...

Wow you dropped 150 lbs from your car... WOW that's amazing.. nothings more impressive then a guy who can yank crap out of his car to make it faster... that great. No reason to tune stuff or ADD horsepower... might as well yank out every drop of convenience in my econobox... that's a fantastic idea.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:54 PM   #9
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
So you want to build a fast car and have subs in the back?

I NEED MY MUSIC! who doesn't? serious.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:01 PM   #10
Duckydos

Quote:
OH NO... he wants a stereo... so what I have a box in my trunk I'm not gunna take it out for the whole 50 lbs it'll save.. that's just stupid..

All this stripping interiors and shit is SOOOOO stupid...

Wow you dropped 150 lbs from your car... WOW that's amazing.. nothings more impressive then a guy who can yank crap out of his car to make it faster... that great. No reason to tune stuff or ADD horsepower... might as well yank out every drop of convenience in my econobox... that's a fantastic idea.

You're very negative (and idiotic) in alot of your posts. He was saying that this guy is worrying about weight (Hatch compared to Coupe) yet he is going to put subs in his car. He's contradicting himself.

And I think that there comes a time when you've done all you can do (or you just to cheap to do it) to gain HP. So, that spare tire isn't really needed. Just my $.02

-Ducky
Old 04-20-2003, 11:06 PM   #11
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by Duckydos
You're very negative (and idiotic) in alot of your posts. He was saying that this guy is worrying about weight (Hatch compared to Coupe) yet he is going to put subs in his car. He's contradicting himself.

And I think that there comes a time when you've done all you can do (or you just to cheap to do it) to gain HP. So, that spare tire isn't really needed. Just my $.02

-Ducky

Eat me (and f*ck yourself)... That's exactly what I said...
Quote:
If not and considering you have a box in you trunk I'd say hatch or coupe is a personal preference.. your obviously not concerned with weight...

you can take out your spare tire AT THE TRACK as well as your seats pass. and rear... that's great... I'm was talking about people stripping their sound deadening material and ripping out there carpets and sh*t in daily driven cars.

Read the sig Diock.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:06 PM   #12
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by Duckydos

-Ducky

dude, music is the exception, i mean c'mon. i'm not contradicting myself...i never once said "I want my car to be as light as i can make it" i wanna try to make it as light as i can with the exception of My fricken NECESSARY music.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:36 PM   #13
Shot 2 Hel

more or less down to your question, there is a little bit of weight difference, but it will perform about the same in either one, so i say go for the swap if you want one it will be a big difference
Old 04-20-2003, 11:52 PM   #14
nonovurbizniz

the more important thing to consider between coupe and hatch is chassis rigidity and handling charactoristics...

have you driven both?

if not try to do so... that's a much better way to judge a car then a scale or your eye.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:11 AM   #15
Duckydos

I would imagine the coupe would have a better weight distrobution(sp) as well...
Old 04-21-2003, 12:12 AM   #16
AzCivic

Unless this car is going to be an all out race car, does it really matter? Just get what you like.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:12 AM   #17
juvenile

Well from his previous posts...he wants to build the fastest civic...
Old 04-21-2003, 08:53 AM   #18
nonovurbizniz

let's not get into what his previous posts tell us... jfwy
Old 04-21-2003, 10:59 AM   #19
juvenile

Ok, we won't
Old 04-21-2003, 01:45 PM   #20
OPAKRACING

Quote:
I am an A$$hole... take anything I say to heart at YOUR OWN RISK...

whenever you talk i keep that in mind
Old 04-21-2003, 04:07 PM   #21
mt.biker

dude here's a far out idea... you want a fast car? You want it to be faster then most of the other cars on the streets? If you answered 'yes' to any of those two questions DONT BUY/MOD A CIVIC!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:46 PM   #22
OPAKRACING

Do you drive a civic?

I do, and i have beaten MANY four cylanders on the road. including a turbo charged saturn, and Ford Taurus SHO/SVT, and accords...and i dont' even know how the heck to drive my car that well.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:55 PM   #23
Wren57

^wow, quite the accomplishments
the question you gotta ask yourself is:
For the money Im spending, do I want to run with the big dogs or not?
Answer this to yourself and then you will know the best course of action...

*EDIT*
Sorry, that sounded a bit harsh, but realistically do you want to be able to run with vettes, supras, etc or do you want to run with accords and saturns?
Old 04-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #24
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander

They are accomplishments! lol, for a 1.6L four banger?!?!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:57 PM   #25
Shot 2 Hel

Quote:
Originally posted by OPAKRACING
Do you drive a civic?

I do, and i have beaten MANY four cylanders on the road. including a turbo charged saturn, and Ford Taurus SHO/SVT, and accords...and i dont' even know how the heck to drive my car that well.

cylInders
Old 04-21-2003, 09:58 PM   #26
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by Shot 2 Hel
cylInders

Hmm?
Old 04-21-2003, 10:00 PM   #27
Shot 2 Hel

^^^ look it up man there is no cylAnder its cylInder
Old 04-21-2003, 10:05 PM   #28
AzCivic

Quote:

*EDIT*
Sorry, that sounded a bit harsh, but realistically do you want to be able to run with vettes, supras, etc or do you want to run with accords and saturns?

How much money do you think it takes to make a civic fast? Why cant a civic be as fast as a vette or supra?
Old 04-21-2003, 10:08 PM   #29
Shot 2 Hel

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
How much money do you think it takes to make a civic fast? Why cant a civic be as fast as a vette or supra?

a whole lot

I read something one time, went something like this

you can either spend a whole lot to make your civic run like a lude, or you could just buy a lude
Old 04-21-2003, 10:18 PM   #30
AzCivic

Quote:
a whole lot

you can either spend a whole lot to make your civic run like a lude, or you could just buy a lude

great answer
Old 04-21-2003, 10:22 PM   #31
OPAKRACING

Quote:
a whole lot

or..how bout a lude swap!!!!
Old 04-21-2003, 11:06 PM   #32

Quote:

*EDIT*

i'd rather drive in a civic and let everyone hypothesis that it's slow(when it's actually just as fast as supra's, corvettes, ect), then drive around in those other cars. it just seems more fun to drive around in a sleeper...

BTW:

what engines do the 2002 civic coupes come with?

dx, ex, and lx?
Old 04-22-2003, 12:11 AM   #33
nonovurbizniz

^the only problem is that you'll never do that... a supra bone stock as long as it's running well will BURN a 20 psi b18. or a h22 or whatever FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car you through at it same for a vette. sure there are and have been exceptions and yes 50k into a civic will make it faster than a 50k new vette... but the point is the vette is operating at like 40-60 hp/liter (ie not tuned or taken advantage of yet) while the turboed 2liter or 1.8 is like 150-250 hp/liter (ie THAT's ALL YOU'll EVER GET OUT OF IT.. and it's not gunna live for too long.)

The lude swaps great as long as you get an lsd and don't want traction above 5k in ANY GEAR.

Go buy yer spoon engine and have some schmuck tear it apart...and turbo it... take pictures and send me what's left after it blows.

You or anyone has to realize that fwd is JUST NOT OPTIMAL...

and opak I'm not tring to be mean but if you think you beat a turbo anything then that turbo is either pissing boost or not tuned at all. and if you think you beat an sho then it was either totally neglected and not running properly or the person wasn't racing you. as far as the accord... I could beat some accords in a stock vw beetle that hasn't ever had a oil change (sorry hondaman).

Do what you want but make up your mind... Also you still haven't come back with a budget... how much money is burning a hole in your pocket that your asking all these fat cat questions????
Old 04-22-2003, 12:50 AM   #34
AzCivic

Quote:
^the only problem is that you'll never do that... a supra bone stock as long as it's running well will BURN a 20 psi b18. or a h22 or whatever FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car you through at it same for a vette. sure there are and have been exceptions and yes 50k into a civic will make it faster than a 50k new vette... but the point is the vette is operating at like 40-60 hp/liter (ie not tuned or taken advantage of yet) while the turboed 2liter or 1.8 is like 150-250 hp/liter (ie THAT's ALL YOU'll EVER GET OUT OF IT.. and it's not gunna live for too long.)

You or anyone has to realize that fwd is JUST NOT OPTIMAL...

How do you know a Honda anything running 20lbs of boost will get beat by a supra??? Do you drive a honda running that much boost, have you seen a honda running that much boost. Or did you hear from a friend that FWD just cant be fast, its just impossible, theres just no way to overcome the disadvantage.???

FWD is not optimal, just like having a 3400lb car is not OPTIMAL, if you want whats optimal then save up for a real race car. Or you can do the best with what you got and beat YES BEAT supra's vette's or whatever else.

Of course the vette isnt making the power it should be, thats the american way.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:57 AM   #35
Violent Apathy

Want a fast car on the cheap? Ditch the civic, buy a Nissan 240SX, and swap in an sr20det (I think that's the designation) engine. Boom, fast car, and relatively cheap, especially compared to what you'd have to do to a civic to get it to even compete with the 240. Damn I'm just lovin Nissans more and more every day.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:01 AM   #36
AzCivic

I'm not going to argue that the 240 is a better platform to start off with, but your going to end up dumping money into that too so why not save up for a vette, or save a little longer for a viper or a little longer for...you get the idea.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:37 AM   #37
mt.biker

if you buy a civic thinking you'll make it fast your just kidding yourself. Fast is a relative term and in the world of civics you think your fast if you can hang with seddans. The jokes on you guys because those cars aren't even 'fast' in the big picture they're just faster then your civic will be.

Civic were never ment to be taken to the limits that they are being taken to today. Yes you can drop a better engine in a civic then its worth, and yes it will be faster then the 1.5 or 1.6L you have in there. But the reality is its still a civic and when you start running with the big boys who put out more tq then you do ponnies you'll realize you didn't come ready to win. Its sad to say 'honda doesn't own the road' anymore but they never did. They've made great cars and I love the car I drive, and just because I've walked on most people I've lined up with doesn't mean my RL is some amazing machine. It just happens to be one of the few motors they make that puts out a nice tq that ends up being more then its HP. So when I line up with a civic I walk on it because Im putting out more tq then his 1.6 DOHC with intake and exhaust.

When all your power comes from rev's it doesn't always make a fast car, you need more tq then your civics start with. Give it up, yes they might look good 'riced' but they aren't race cars, and they weren't ment to go fast. I'd take a mustang any day over a civic. Runs faster stock then 95% of moded civics and its rwd. Something you forget is that RWD is one of the most important things to making a car fast, FWD just doesn't cut it.

So have fun with your civics but dont forget its just a 'toy car' and lining up with cars of simliar displacement is all you should be doing. Leave the big boys alone and stop trying to tell us how great your civics are.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:40 AM   #38
mt.biker

Quote:
I'm not going to argue that the 240 is a better platform to start off with, but your going to end up dumping money into that too so why not save up for a vette, or save a little longer for a viper or a little longer for...you get the idea.

If you wanted a fast car you'd spend the money and put it towards a 240sx, which has SO MUCH MORE going for it. Yes parts for nissan are more then a civic, but so be it. True performance is costly!

If you can't tell I dont think much of most civics on the road, dont anyone take it personally I just think there are many better options out there then a civic and everyone seems to be forgetting that. Seems people are civic crazy and are blinded by the FWD 127hp no tq motor. Just have fun with your cars guys but please dont be telling me how fast your civic is because your only going to get me laughing.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:53 AM   #39
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

if you want an even lighter car with more potential then get a ae86. but the thing is, i think your asking what to get and you'll never have the money. anyone can dream, but im willing to bet(and i could be wrong) that you'll never have the money to buy a spoon engine and have it installed(with the other spoon parts) or to properly do a turbo build up. and if you were told the hatch was better would you sell your car for a hatch? from what i've herd, the 6th gen civics dont have a huge difference in weight between the hatch and coupe, its the 5th gen hatches that are really light.

oh and for the h22 not getting traction in any gear... he's talking about putting that muych power to the wheels eventualy anywyas.. why would it make a difference if its coming form an h22 or a b18. and remeber, when you have a powerful car you no longer need to floor it around every turn just to get to the store. any real performance cars(supras vettes etc.) can easily break the tires loos if they just gun it, thats what happenes when you have more power. if you serious about an h22 swap go for it,. if its done right, with suspension and tuning, you should be fine.

im willing to bet that a year from now you still have that d16 though

(fianls week and i havnt slept much)

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:09 AM   #40
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
How do you know a Honda anything running 20lbs of boost will get beat by a supra??? Do you drive a honda running that much boost, have you seen a honda running that much boost. Or did you hear from a friend that FWD just cant be fast, its just impossible, theres just no way to overcome the disadvantage.???

A. You can quit thinking I'm some dumb kid. I probobly work on my car just as much if not more than your and have worked on other cars and been around racing and cars since I was 6.
B. I know because the supra will have traction and is a FASTER CAR... the civic will just spin the wheels trying to catch up to it unless it has slicks and some sort of front loading whellie bar like drag FWD's.

As far as your response to not arguing the 240 being better:

A. why are you arguing then?
B. Saving up for a vette would mean saving up another 40k after the 10k at most it would take to make a 240 REDICULOUSLY fast... So I don't really get that.

And chris... yup you're right... any fwd with that much power will be completely street undrivable unless it's MASTERFULLY tuned to seperate street and strip programs/setting to tone down the power for the street. Point is though that Your other point is even more correct... After 3 different requests for a budget he's still mute. This is all just pipe dreams.