User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 01:13 PM   #1
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Home made pulyurethane motor mounts

i found this on the net so i will compy and paste the article here.

One of the biggest problems in most cars is soggy motor mounts. This could be caused by torn or damaged motor mounts or they are just too soft. This can result in a few different problems. In the case of rod shifter manual transmissions, (up to 6g civics and 3g integras) soggy motor mounts can lead to quite a bit of shifter movement. This problem alone isn't that bad.
The problem with less than satisfactory motor mounts comes into play under heavy launching. Power hopping, or wheel hop, is one of the main problems. Soft motor mounts can act like rubber bands during hard launches. When the engine torques over, it puts pressure on the motor mounts before it goes through to the wheels. Once the motor mounts are pushed to the limit the wheels start turning. What can happen is that the motor can bounce violently causing a little more power to hit the ground (from the tension in the bushings) and cause the car to hop.

What you'll need:
A tube of 3M's window weld ($10.99 at Advanced Auto)
Caulk gun ($1.99 at Wal-Mart)
Brake cleaner or some sort of cleaning solvent
Something flat and about an inch wide (see pics)
Proper tools to remove the desired motor mount
As you can see, my torque mounts were completely trashed. My thought was that I would only be wasting about $11 on the window weld if I didn't like it. I needed new mounts anyway so I gave it a shot.

Before I started filling the mounts, I took a second to clean them with brake cleaner. Any cleaning solvent should work fine. Given the fact that my mounts were in multiple pieces, I had to make sure that they didn't move around while I filled. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Start by filling the mount roughly half way in. Make sure you don't leave any air pockets. This can probably be accomplished by squeezing the material all the way through. If you didn't chose that route, flip it over and fill it up the rest of the way. I chose to go a little over board with the material and make the mount a little thicker.

Once you are satisfied with the amount of the material, it's time to smooth it out. This may only be a cosmetic issue, but I felt that it would help push the material into areas that you may have missed.

Once you are complete satisfied with your work set it aside and do not touch it for at least a day. I found that waiting a few days allows it to fully cure. However, 24 hours should be more than enough time to allow it to cure and reinstall.

*Note: If you have access to rubber gloves, I would very seriously recommend their use during this process. The black "goo" is almost impossible to remove from you hands.

Impressions:
I am thoroughly impressed with the effect of the torque mounts. In the case of my civic, there was significantly less shifter movement. Coupled with my Z-10 radius arms, I've eliminated wheel hop. Even in the most likely wheel hop situations I've experienced smooth and controlled wheel spin along with very solid acceleration.

Since I only modified two of the 5 mounts on my civic, there really isn't that much more vibration inside the car. When it's fairly cold out I do experience more buzzing interior trim but it's only at idle.

I would suggest this modification to anyone interesting in a very low cost edge.

And here is the link where i pulled it from. http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

Closed Thread