Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2001, 11:54 PM   #1
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Boo Hoo - Nobody Likes The 'new' Civic - Here's The Reason Why !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 2k1civic
lol, i love this site. i forgot how nobody likes the 7th gen cars yet..
The reasons that nobody likes the 'new' CiViC are:[list=1][*] It really isn't a CiViC at all. It's a totally new car built on the "Global Compact Platform." GM tried this sh!t a few years ago with their "A-body" "C-body" "X-body" and so forth, it killed their sales and almost killed their company.
[*]The 'new' CiViC is a porker. It isn't even considered a sub-compact any more. This is so Honda could build 'trucks' on the CiViC chassis.
[*] It signaled a shift away from performance by Honda, back to utility.[/list=1]

Here's some other cars built on the 'new' CiViC chassis:

Stream: The new Stream 7-passenger minivan is developed based on the same "Global Compact Platform" used in Civic models. It is powered by the new 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine or the 1.7-liter SOHC VTEC engine.

Step WGN: With a full-model change in April 2001 in Japan, the 8-seater Step WGN minivan features a powerful but economical new-generation i-series 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine.

Model X: The Model X concept vehicle is developed and designed by Honda R&D Americas operation. It was unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January 2001. The Model X is powered by Honda's new i-VTEC, 4-cylinder engine.

True, the Acura RSX is built of the 'new' CiViC chassis, but so was the 'Teg that it replaced.

The REAL shocker for most ppl --- the thing that puts it all in perspective --- is the fact that they are building mini-vans and even step-side vans on the same chassis.

"The Stream is the second model to employ Honda's all-new 'Global Compact Platform' and is the first to be powered by its new high efficiency i-VTEC engine."

Quote:
From Japan Automotive News, October, 2000
The seventh-generation new Civic series represent a full return to the Civic's original concept as "a car for the citizens of the world." said Hiroyuki Yoshino, president of Honda Motor. The new Civics are based on a concept called Smart Compact.

Specifically, development focused on maximizing interior space, offering excellent fuel economy and driving comfort, realizing good safety performance for vehicle occupants and pedestrians alike, and offering clean-running environmental friendly performance, all geared to set a new benchmark for cars in the compact class.

Honda uses a newly-developed Global Compact Platform for the new Civics in its production line worldwide.
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.

Last edited by BlackDeuceCoupe : 09-17-2001 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2001, 04:53 AM   #2
MrCLoWnY

hehehehehee

Old 09-17-2001, 09:29 AM   #3
Boosted3g

Yeah I coulnt agree with you any more. I love Honda but the 7th gen is a big disappointment. I am still convinced that the 92-95 hatches are the best looking civics to date. But lets try to look on the bright side the RSX looks like it will have a ton of potential.

Old 09-17-2001, 12:12 PM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
Yeah I coulnt agree with you any more. I love Honda but the 7th gen is a big disappointment. I am still convinced that the 92-95 hatches are the best looking civics to date. But lets try to look on the bright side the RSX looks like it will have a ton of potential.

Let's hope so.

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Old 09-17-2001, 06:41 PM   #5
HXMan

The 02 or 03 CRV is also based on the 7th gen civic chassis.....

The new CRV also comes with a new 2.4 liter i-vtec DOHC engine.

Do you know what that means? 7th gen civic hybrids with 160hp, and 162 ft-lbs of torque....that will SCREAM! Screw the UGLY new Si...just buy a 7th gen, wait a couple years, swap a 2.4 in there and you will be kickin ass.

I like the new 7th gen. We just have to work with what we get. Or switch to something like nissan.......

Old 09-17-2001, 09:14 PM   #6
90civiclxryder

i read that the new civic is being designed, its gonna be sportier and better overall

Old 09-18-2001, 05:12 PM   #7
civic_minded

i have a new civic and i love it, i thinks it like most new cars, everyone hates them at first then they grow on them.....For example the new Ford Mustang when the new body style came out not may people like then now look thats all you see on the road, another example would be the new model Dodge Ram....Just wait you'll end up loving them..........

Check out this link for more 2k1's with some rims and mods www.2k1civic.com

You see there is a big following already just not by the old tymers....

Old 09-19-2001, 12:19 AM   #8
HXMan

Yea, don't worry. People will come around when the 7th gen is proven to have potential.

Old 09-19-2001, 07:20 AM   #9
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

When the 7th gen first came out, I thought they looked terrible. But recently I have seen some that were modded and they actually looked good. I think they have some potential but I wouldn't trade my 6 gen for anything, beside a 5 gen turbo'd civic.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
Old 09-19-2001, 01:21 PM   #10
DELETE *.*

anyone know how much do 7th gen weigh? i think they are heavy.

Old 09-19-2001, 01:25 PM   #11
Big James

My girlfriend has a 2001 EX. I love the car. Handling is much improved over previous, and it is much roomier. Everything is laid out inside nice, and it drives great.

As far as Honda making mini-vans off of the chassis, have you ever heard of the Odessey? That was based off of the Accord chassis. I never heard any complaints about that. Personally, I like the new Civic, and even the new Si.

Oh and would you please quit typeing CiViC, that is really annoying.

Old 09-19-2001, 02:15 PM   #12
civic_minded

I pulled this right off of honda.com

Curb Weight (lbs., MT/AT) dx-2405/2452 hx-2434/2504 lx-2465/2496 ex-2553/2590

Old 09-19-2001, 03:09 PM   #13
HXMan

See...the weight isn't even bad!

7th gen civic.... :thumbup:

Old 09-21-2001, 11:42 PM   #14
thermal
Banning Machine

it's not as ugly as the focus.........

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-22-2001, 04:35 AM   #15
MrCLoWnY

i bet it would look better if it was slammed with some nice rims and some Turbo forcing some air into the intake. hehehe

Old 09-22-2001, 04:29 PM   #16
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

NOT !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Big James
...Oh and would you please quit typeing CiViC, that is really annoying.
Sure, Big Flames, whatever you say...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
Old 09-22-2001, 04:38 PM   #17
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by HXMan
See...the weight isn't even bad! 7th gen civic.... :thumbup:
Huh??? That's 500 lb. more than a Gen 5 hatch.
Old 09-25-2001, 04:52 AM   #18
Big James

Re: NOT !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
Sure, Big Flames, whatever you say...

Big Flames! OMG! LOL! HAHAHAHHA! Whatever. Even with your cute little name calling, ThAt WrItInG iS sTiLl AnNoYiNg.

Old 10-09-2001, 01:19 PM   #19
Impact23

Damn.... the Rock says shut your mouth and know your role.... LOL!! I agree with you on this for the most part.

Old 10-14-2001, 09:32 PM   #20
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Ok I've said this before and I'll say it again. The new civic hatch will grow on people. People are like mindless zombie's They will like what their told to like. The new civic is pretty cool looking. I'm buying one. In fact I'm saving right now. I think as soon as people get used to the changes they will be alright. The type R looks good. have faith in honda people. Have they let us down yet????? ::

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
Old 10-14-2001, 09:42 PM   #21
MrCLoWnY

I still like it.

Old 10-15-2001, 04:24 PM   #22
civic_minded

me too

Old 10-15-2001, 08:10 PM   #23
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

i think any civic fan or honda fan for that matter will like it. It's a cool car....it'll be nice to beat chev's in something a little different

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

Old 10-26-2001, 11:44 AM   #24
darkcivic

Is your only reason for not liking the new civic simply because Honda plans on putting different models on the same chassis? Not very valid if you ask me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg darkcivic.jpg (93.6 KB, 58 views)

Old 10-26-2001, 12:05 PM   #25
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Howdy!

Welcome to the boards!
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Old 10-26-2001, 12:16 PM   #26
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

hey darkcivic welkome to honda style...nice ride man

Old 10-26-2001, 06:31 PM   #27
darkcivic

Thanks! I'm usually @ 2k1civic.com. You guys should check it out.
I'm going to try to link a funny story you all should read but I don't know if it's gonna work. So click below (maybe)

Old 10-27-2001, 01:52 AM   #28
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by darkcivic
Is your only reason for not liking the new civic simply because Honda plans on putting different models on the same chassis? Not very valid if you ask me.
Duh! Hello! You need to practice your reading comprehension. I also said they are [#2] overweight and [#3] have moved away from being a performance / youth orientated car to a utility vehicle.

Face it! The 'new' CiViC was designed for white, middle-aged, female, suburbanite yuppies. If you are confused about Honda's agenda, that's your problem. Have fun driving around in your girlie-girl sh!tbox and don't be so sensitive.
Old 10-27-2001, 10:15 AM   #29
Dezoris

Quote:

Face it! The 'new' CiViC was designed for white, middle-aged, female, suburbanite yuppies. If you are confused about Honda's agenda, that's your problem. Have fun driving around in your girlie-girl sh!tbox and don't be so sensitive.
YOu mean single white females in their 20s

Where the **** have you been.
I was wonderig if you were alive?

Old 10-27-2001, 02:06 PM   #30
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Dezoris
YOu mean single white females in their 20s
Heh!!!
Quote:
From WomanMotorist.com
DEMOGRAPHIC: Sedan: mid-30s [e.g. middle-aged - bdc], 60% married [e.g. white, female - bdc], 50% college graduates, average household income, $50,000 [e.g. yuppie - bdc]; Coupe: Under 30, similar education and income background as sedan buyers [e.g. yuppie - bdc], 40% married, 55% female.

WHAT'S NEW: Honda’s wildly successful compact has been completely redesigned [i.e. dead and buried - bdc] for 2001... The three-door hatchback [performance / youth offering - bdc] has been dropped, and the sedan and coupe are separated by more individual styling [i.e. dull and duller - bdc]... The new Civic is meant to be more family friendly... The increase in interior space [and exterior size and overall weight - bdc] has led the EPA to change the Civic’s classification from subcompact to compact [OINK, OINK!!! - bdc].

WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO WOMEN: The new, larger interior makes it a practical choice for buyers with growing families. By retaining similar exterior dimensions, however, the Civic will still appeal to buyers who prefer a smaller, more nimble car. Meanwhile, the Civic’s traditional values -- long-term reliability and high resale values -- are very important to [single - bdc] female drivers. A ULEV rating accross the board makes the Civic the most environmentally friendly car on the American market, a reputation enhanced by the fuel-efficient HX and the CNG-powered GX.
There is no doubt that the 'new' CiViC was taylor-made for white, middle-aged, female, suburbanite yuppies. I will be glad to give you 3 more pages of 'cut-n-paste' documentation, if you would like .

The only concession I will make to you, Mr. D., is that married, middle-aged, white, female yuppies prefer the sedan, while 20-something, single, white, female yuppies like the coupe.

IMO, any guy that buys one of these 'girlie' cars has serious personal issues that need to be addressed.
Old 10-27-2001, 05:29 PM   #31
Dezoris

Quote:

IMO, any guy that buys one of these 'girlie' cars has serious personal issues that need to be addressed.

I Have one on order man, I take offense to that!!
They have more power, more looks, and the flat floor sold me.

When I said 20s I was referring to Hondas demographics prior to the vehicles release. I have a quote for you
Quote:
"IMO (Dezoris) The new 7th gen Civic is a turd, I would rather get a daily enema than be caught dead in one, unless of course it was a loaner car."

Old 10-27-2001, 08:57 PM   #32
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

OT: I used that Endurance stuff today. Boy, is that sh!t weird!!!

It felt like I was brushing dish soap on my tires, except it smelled like grape bubblegum. I let it 'dry' for like two hours before I finally gave up and wiped it off with a dish towel.

I took my ride for a little cruise and an hour later that crap was still oozing out of the lettering and side tread.

Hahahahaha! Remind me never to take your advice again...
Old 10-28-2001, 09:59 AM   #33
Big James

Quote:
Duh! Hello! You need to practice your reading comprehension. I also said they are [#2] overweight and [#3] have moved away from being a performance / youth orientated car to a utility vehicle.

What, black folks can't drive a Civic?

Girlie Girl Shitbox. Man, you are just full of them aren't you. Why do you feel the need to completly diss the hell out of someones car? Does it make you feel better?

Personally, I like the new Civic. The coupe that is. I am not very fond of the styling of the sedan. However, I feel the coupe has a nice sporty look to it, and is actually a better car then the previous generations. The suspension makes for a better ride and allows much more room in the interior. Hell, I can fit in the back seat of a Honda Coupe comfartably finally.

Also, the fact that you say that a Civic used to be a performance oriented car is pretty much laughable. The Civic, with the exception of the Si and CTR, are far from performance oriented. Honda never said, "hmmm, kids are going to slap AEM's on these and be fast!". The purpose of the Civic has always been to be an economical compact family car, nothing more.

Of course, you can argue by countering about the Si, and the Type R. Well, since we do not get a CTR here, that is null and void. As far as the Si goes, Honda is doing what it always does. When it changes gens, it removes the Si for a year or two and brings it back. This is called smart marketing on Hondas part.

Face it, Honda is about marketing and selling lots of cars. It will sell FAR more cars by marketing them as economy cars then it will as sports coupes.

Oh, and personally, I find your treatment of other members appaling as a moderator. As for your comment about needing serious issues addressed, maybe you should take your own advice.

One last thing, do you drive an EX or Si? If it is an EX, then your car is nothing but a girlie girl shitbox also. Of course, that is using your own logic, not mine.

Old 10-28-2001, 10:01 AM   #34
Big James

Oh Shit. You have an HX! Damn! Now that is a truly girlie girl shitbox! (Once again using your logic)

Old 10-28-2001, 10:04 AM   #35
civicbaby

I don't think that there is any thing wrong with the new civic. I have one and I love it. I like it better than the older civics, I love the 00 si's but I just happen to like the new civic. At first I didn't like them, but then I went to work for Honda and there was a 2001 civic (which is mine now) sitting on the show room floor in front of my desk and it grew on me. Now I won't have anything else. I'm selling my civic to get a 01 blue civic. Here is a pic of one, the pic is on my boyfriends site, http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...073&uid=169657

Old 10-28-2001, 11:14 AM   #36
Dezoris

Quote:

OT: I used that Endurance stuff today. Boy, is that sh!t weird!!!

It felt like I was brushing dish soap on my tires, except it smelled like grape bubblegum. I let it 'dry' for like two hours before I finally gave up and wiped it off with a dish towel.

I took my ride for a little cruise and an hour later that crap was still oozing out of the lettering and side tread.

Hahahahaha! Remind me never to take your advice again...
You see my tires?
Well I told you to get the regular not the high gloss!!!
Those tires look like butter, the regular stuff is the best!! I have tried everything else. I'll even send you my bottle to prove to you!!

That is how they are supposed to look not like this:

Old 10-28-2001, 11:16 AM   #37
Dezoris

BTW when are you dumping those firestones!!!

Old 10-28-2001, 11:17 AM   #38
Big James

Well, I have to agree. Endurance regular shine is excellent stuff. If you do not cake it on, and make sure you wipe off the excess, it works great!

I used to use it all of the time. I now use No Touch Tire Shine. It is in a purple and black aerosol can. Works great.

Old 10-28-2001, 11:26 AM   #39
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally posted by Big James

What, black folks can't drive a Civic?

Girlie Girl Shitbox. Man, you are just full of them aren't you. Why do you feel the need to completly diss the hell out of someones car? Does it make you feel better?

Personally, I like the new Civic. The coupe that is. I am not very fond of the styling of the sedan. However, I feel the coupe has a nice sporty look to it, and is actually a better car then the previous generations. The suspension makes for a better ride and allows much more room in the interior. Hell, I can fit in the back seat of a Honda Coupe comfartably finally.

Also, the fact that you say that a Civic used to be a performance oriented car is pretty much laughable. The Civic, with the exception of the Si and CTR, are far from performance oriented. Honda never said, "hmmm, kids are going to slap AEM's on these and be fast!". The purpose of the Civic has always been to be an economical compact family car, nothing more.

Of course, you can argue by countering about the Si, and the Type R. Well, since we do not get a CTR here, that is null and void. As far as the Si goes, Honda is doing what it always does. When it changes gens, it removes the Si for a year or two and brings it back. This is called smart marketing on Hondas part.

Face it, Honda is about marketing and selling lots of cars. It will sell FAR more cars by marketing them as economy cars then it will as sports coupes.

Oh, and personally, I find your treatment of other members appaling as a moderator. As for your comment about needing serious issues addressed, maybe you should take your own advice.

One last thing, do you drive an EX or Si? If it is an EX, then your car is nothing but a girlie girl shitbox also. Of course, that is using your own logic, not mine.
I see why you are getting bent out of shape here, but you are using your emotions vs using your logic, and eyes.
He just posted quoted demographics of who that car appeals to.
The civic itself is not a true performance car, but when compared to other cars in its class and up, up to 30k you'll see that the 5th and 6th generation civic are more than capable of outperforming many performance cars, namely due to its suspension design. By no means is it a fast car, nor is the Civic Si, but capable of being.

I have been to the track autox cars double the price have a hard time keeping up, why? I must be a good driver right? No.

The new Civic is not capable of this the way the prior were, it is a multi-platform vehicle plain and simple, with little or no abilty for any further modification to suspension or motor.

Also, you must know someone before pointing the finger, BDC's knowledge far surpasses 90% of the people found on these boards, he has had "EXPERIENCE" which is one of the most important things, and is a true asset.

Old 10-28-2001, 11:40 AM   #40
Big James

The black person thing was meant as a joke. He did post quoted demographics of who the car appeals to, however he added his own little comments and assumptions.

I am not letting emotion get in the way of logic. I am far from it actually.

What I really do not care for is his blatant insults to anyone who drives this car. It is unbecoming of a moderator. If he does not like the car, so be it. I caould care less. However, his tact needs some work.

You bring up his experience and say he is more knowledgable than 90% of the people. Fine, that is your opinion, I hope however that you are not questioning my experience or knowledge, as I have a plethora of both.

I tried his logic. By his logic, his own car is a girlie girl shitbox. That is not my opinion, but his own logic at work. The Civic was never meant to be a performance vehicle. I understand that they made a higher performance model, and the such, however, that is not the true roots of the Civic.

Many point to the suspension as being a drawback to the new Civic. I thought this would be true at first. However, I no longer feel that way. My girlfriend has a 2001 EX, and my roommate has a 99 EX. I honestly feel her car handles better than his. I find that I can make turns faster in her car then I could in his.

Bottom line is this, I can see his problems with the Civic and I can respect them. However, I can not respect someone who questions the manhood of another member simply becuase they like the new Civic. Behavior as such is unacceptable.

Closed Thread