.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2002, 03:47 PM   #1
BrandonClaps

Got slow windows?? Here is the HONDA Fix *pics*....

Welp, as you all know honda civics are notorious for having slowwww windows. So I chatted with honda for a bit, and found out what needs to be done. Of course since I love you guys, I shall share with you. Of course there is pictures, otherwise it's not a good how to right? right.... Sooo here we go

Supplies:
....Silicone Spray *make sure you don't get adhesive!!!*
....Philips Screw driver
....30 minutes

1. Remove the door panel. For 96-00 civics, there are count em, 5 philips head screws. One in the window control, one in the door latch, and three behind the speaker grille. To remove the door panel, pull from the bottom out, don't pull to hard, because you must disconnect the speaker. Or you can unscrew the speaker and disconnect it that way, but since I just had my door panels off for the components, i know how it works. Once it's pulled out at the bottom, kinda slide it up and it will come out. Of course don't forget the window wire harness, and the door latch bezel. It's easier if the window is down to remove the door panel.

2. Basically the whole problem is the rubber tracks get dry and need to be lubed up good ;D :insert joke here: Raise your window up!! So get your silicone spray (make sure it has a little straw damn it, otherwise your window is gonna be covered in silicone. And your gonna wanna spray it in the tracks in the pics below. Make the window go up and down so the silicone spreads out. Don't drench it.

3. You can also spray some on on the X bracket thingy, but that should already have grease in it.

4. Put your door panels back on. Put your window down! Then spray in these spots below, don't do it full blast otherwise your window is gonna be covered. Just let it trickle down into place. Thats it, test it out and your good to go.

Old 10-12-2002, 03:47 PM   #2
BrandonClaps

ya know, i hate the how to section, the pictures don't display ;[
Old 11-17-2002, 08:43 AM   #3
99WhiteCivEx

hah man im glad i found this, i am tryin to fix it right now and had no idea how to take the door panel off.. thank god for HondaStyle!
Old 01-02-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
CordChief

SLOW WINDOWS

Thanks for the tip! One good thing about silicone, is that it will practically never evaporate or dry out. My daily commuter is a '98 Civic HX, and the passenger window rarely gets lowered/raised, so it sticks badly. Maybe I'll initially try both ends from the top opening without removing the door panel first to see if it gets lubed enough.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:01 PM   #5
nonovurbizniz

just fyi... it'll work just as well if you JUST spray the silicone down the window channels.. NO need to take apart the door panel usually.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:22 PM   #6
speedshow

Power Window Dont Go Down?

I have a honda 2000 civic si and i have a problem with my passenger side window, its powered window and it doesnt go up down, im here the motor working but its not going down, i heard something fell off but i didnt know what it was and i dont know how to get to it or how to fix it. But i know how to remove the door panel but anything about the window components i dont know maybe something came loose or came off. Can you help me? Or have any idea on what I can do?
Old 06-30-2003, 08:16 PM   #7
95preludegirl

Will this work on a 95 Prelude???
Old 07-02-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by 95preludegirl
Will this work on a 95 Prelude???

It will work on any car. Just like nonov said, you can just spray on the window channels and work from there.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 05:50 AM   #9
phathonda

Where can you get this kind of silicon spray?? Will teflon work also?
Old 08-25-2003, 06:25 PM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

I'm not sure about teflon. You can get a silicone spray from any automotive store or hardware store....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:05 PM   #11
phathonda

Well I got some silicon spray and oiled the windows - works great now!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:14 PM   #12
chefmaster21
2nd Gear

question...

i read someones reply if i do it without taking the door panel off after i do it will the silicon get all over my windows...and me have to clean them everyday???
chefmaster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:05 PM   #13
Dasspipe

Yep, thats my passenger side window... its been buggin me for monthes... Thanks for the 'how to', i'll have to get around to doing this soon...
Old 11-18-2003, 06:31 PM   #14
Slick

Yea, Honda makes great, dependable cars, yet they CAN'T make power windows! Mine fell out of the tracks w/i a month of owning the car. I also did the sillicone trick after reading this, yet I didn't need to take my door panel off. Thanks for the write up.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:29 AM   #15
AkimboStylee

im sure if you take the door panel off you are gaurenteed to get the whole track, if you are afraid of getting it on your window, add 15 more minutes and tape them off
Old 10-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #16
Shalanim

Tip

Like it
Shalanim is offline   Reply With Quote