::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
sideshow775

water pump?

Have a 92 civic cx and my car has been chugging a lot lately. I realized that my fuel pump won't stay on. It shuts off after it builds pressure like it is supposed to but won't turn back on after. SO i hot wired it to the battery and it stays running and the car does as well until i start driving and then the car loses power when i am driving and bogs down then stalls. Then when i try to turn it over it won't go unless i let it sit for a couple minutes. Is it possible that there is a lot of rust and shit in my tank and it is clogging up the pump while i am driving? Any help would be great thanks a lot.
sideshow775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
JDMFantasy2k

ok first of all you, remove the hotwire hack job. That may just be hiding problems. So lets help diagnose this...

First step is to change the fuel filter. I learned in class yesterday that this is VERY important, because it will reduce your fuel pressure if it's plugged enough. Next try to pick up a fuel pressure gauge. They shouldn't be too expensive, and it goes in where the fuel filter is. See how much pressure you have. Your average honda should have about 40-45 psi. Also see what happens to the fuel pressure when you pinch the vaccuum line on the fuel pressure regulator, the pressure should go up a little. Then when you pinch the fuel return line, the pressure should skyrocket.

As for the electrical part, i assume that you're saying that it's priming when you turn the car to the on position, but when you start the car, the fuel pump shuts off. You can start by checking the PGM FI main relay, as that controls the fuel pump. I
Old 09-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
sideshow775

alrighty i will try that...where is the pgm fi relay located?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
sideshow775

replaced the fuel filter and it is still doing it.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
JDMFantasy2k

pgmfi relay is located on the passenger side, on the cowel panel that touches the door. Lower the glove box, then the trim piece to the right of it that is uncovered when you opened it; rip that out. It's held in with clips. The unclup the rightmost panel, and you should see it screwed into the metal dash frame.