.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Prelude
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2002, 10:45 PM   #1
LSN77

Prelude model extensions: S, SI, SR, etc.

Anyone know much about the different Prelude model extensions like S, SI, SH, SR.

I have a 92 Prelude (automatic) and I think it's an S model because it does not have power locks. Is this correct? On my steering wheel, under the "H" logo there are the letters "SRS". Can someone tell me what this means? Please excuse my ignorance....I bought my Prelude about a month ago (with no manual) and I'm looking to learn as much as I can about it.

Man, I wish I had a Vtec engine.....my 4 Cylinder, 2.2 L engine is the same as my friend's '91 Accord

Also, I have a question about street racing with my automatic Prelude.

At a stop light, what are the best ways to get a quick start, if there are any. My friend sometimes puts his car in neutral...revs the engine to a high RPM, then shifts to drive. I always laugh at what happens but it seems to me that this doesn't give much of a quick start...just a quick jerk foward Plus, is this bad for the car if done too much?

Looking forward to some replies.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:31 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Re: Prelude model extensions: S, SI, SR, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by LSN77

At a stop light, what are the best ways to get a quick start, if there are any. My friend sometimes puts his car in neutral...revs the engine to a high RPM, then shifts to drive. I always laugh at what happens but it seems to me that this doesn't give much of a quick start...just a quick jerk foward Plus, is this bad for the car if done too much?

Looking forward to some replies.

Ugh, say goodbye to your tranny if you do that.

The best way is to hold the brake, give it some gas to get it up to a certain rpm (play around to find the best point) and then gun it while releasing the brake.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:40 PM   #3
LSN77

Re: Re: Prelude model extensions: S, SI, SR, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

Ugh, say goodbye to your tranny if you do that.

The best way is to hold the brake, give it some gas to get it up to a certain rpm (play around to find the best point) and then gun it while releasing the brake.

So doing that is bad for the tranny, huh? That's good to know See, I like to race once in awhile but most of the time I baby my car because I wanna keep it in good condition for years to come.

I'll try the "brake/give some gas" method you suggested....see how that works.

Thanks for replying.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:57 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Here is another thread with some more info:

http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4198

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 12:13 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

take it to the 1500-2000 rpm range. anymore than that will make the car go forward even with the brake on. it gives me the start i need

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 12:17 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

and for the model you have it is a S. the srs on the steering wheel means Supplemental Restraint System (in other words airbag)

here are the models you might see for the 92-96 prelude:

S comes with a f22a4 engine (90-91 Accord engine)
SI comes with a H23A1 engine (92-96 preludes) DOHC non-Vtec
there is a model that comes with h22a1 but i don't know too much about it. i'm more the accord dude

Old 05-09-2002, 11:31 AM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

4th generation preludes(92-96):
S= is the f22a eninge that comes in accords it has 135hp 147lb/ft i belive. it has a standard drivers side airbag no antilock breaks no power locks.

Si(SR canadian)= is the h23a 160hp 156lb/ft it has antilock breaks and power locks. the readline is also raised to 6800 rpms i belive. also the SI had a 4ws(four wheel steering) option in 92-94 i belive that turned the back wheels in either direction depending on you speed and how hard you turn the wheel it is electronic. there is also the SE which was the Si with leather and only came in 2 special colors and had special rims

the si/vtec(in 93) the vtec(94-96) and SRV(vtec model in canada)= is the h22a1 engine that was 190hp 158lb/ft and is only avialible in manual. from 94-96 is had a electroluminesent dash(looks very nice) and came with leather standard.

in 97 the newer generation of preludes came out. they both had h22a4 engines producing 195hp(97-98) and 200hp(99+) they were slower than the 4th generation vtec modles

Base= these were the standard preludes that came in either manual or SS which was hondas attempt at a automatic manual tranny that allowed you to shift safley through gears 1-4 i dont think leather was an option on these

Type-SH same as base but with painted side skirts different rims and the ATTS(automatic torque transfer system) that helped in turning hard by powering the inner wheel this came at a rumored 5hp loss and an extra 50 lbs.

between the 2 generations the 4th gen's are faster the 5th gens handle better. the 4th gens are the "black sheep" of preludes with the taller tail lights and long wide headlights unlikde gens 1-3 and 5 with a long tail light and boxy or flip up headlights.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 11:36 AM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude

between the 2 generations the 4th gen's are faster the 5th gens handle better. the 4th gens are the "black sheep" of preludes with the taller tail lights and long wide headlights unlikde gens 1-3 and 5 with a long tail light and boxy or flip up headlights.

i did not see a stock prelude yet that i don't lioke. the killer ones are the 4th and 5th gen. RIP prelude

Old 05-09-2002, 11:39 AM   #9
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

i did not see a stock prelude yet that i don't lioke. the killer ones are the 4th and 5th gen. RIP prelude
im not hating on any gen, but if you look at the evolution of preludes, the 4th gen is WAY out of place smooth lines and different head/tail light structue. the rest are boxy. oh well RIP, the car with the best NA 4 banging engine

Old 05-09-2002, 02:33 PM   #10
cantdrive55

Quote:

im not hating on any gen, but if you look at the evolution of preludes, the 4th gen is WAY out of place smooth lines and different head/tail light structue. the rest are boxy. oh well RIP, the car with the best NA 4 banging engine
I pick the S2000 motor as the best N/A 4 banger.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:41 PM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

but its tuned with high compression pistons a almost perfectly made head a very high redline, extreme cams etc etc. imagine what the prelude would have if honda did that to it? the tpe-s only brushed on it. remember the h22 puts out a untuned 200hp while the b18c5 puts out a honda tuned 195 and the f20 puts out a honda tuned 240. the h22 has the most potential.. have you seen the upgrades that s2k's get from a $700 intake? very minamal.

Old 05-13-2002, 04:40 AM   #12
cantdrive55

Quote:
but its tuned with high compression pistons a almost perfectly made head a very high redline, extreme cams etc etc. imagine what the prelude would have if honda did that to it? the tpe-s only brushed on it. remember the h22 puts out a untuned 200hp while the b18c5 puts out a honda tuned 195 and the f20 puts out a honda tuned 240. the h22 has the most potential.. have you seen the upgrades that s2k's get from a $700 intake? very minamal.
I was just stating that the H22 is not the best N/A motor. You said nothing about potential, gains from mods etc. :p
Old 05-13-2002, 11:54 AM   #13
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

BAH ok you win this time