::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2002, 08:20 PM   #1
zm_dawg

Advantage?

I previously posted about purchasing the KYB AGX Gas Shocks. I'm planning on getting those unless the Yellow's show up soon for way cheap. But then people recommended getting the GC coilovers. Whats the advantage of getting those instead of just springs. With the coilovers, especially the GC's does it make adjusting my ride much easier. Also if i go with the KYB and GC setup if the GC's lower to 3.5" and i assume the shock itself can adjust, which one will i be adjusting and when to adjust it? Any bad experiences on groupbuy. First purchase for this stock EX....just a kid paranoid as hell
Old 11-11-2002, 09:02 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Re: Advantage?

Quote:
Originally posted by zm_dawg
I previously posted about purchasing the KYB AGX Gas Shocks. I'm planning on getting those unless the Yellow's show up soon for way cheap. But then people recommended getting the GC coilovers. Whats the advantage of getting those instead of just springs. With the coilovers, especially the GC's does it make adjusting my ride much easier. Also if i go with the KYB and GC setup if the GC's lower to 3.5" and i assume the shock itself can adjust, which one will i be adjusting and when to adjust it? Any bad experiences on groupbuy. First purchase for this stock EX....just a kid paranoid as hell

1) Groupbuy experiences depend on the vendor, can't sum them all together.

2) You won't be able to go very low with the AGX/GC combo, the struts will blow

3) You adjust the coilover sleeve for height and the strut for damping.

4) Advantage of coilover sleeves over springs: height adjustability. Disadvantage of sleeves: crappy ride, inferior to true coilovers.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 09:04 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

dont be paraniod dude...go balls out and buy the Koni Yellows that I showed ya on eBay...they're cheaper than Ive ever seen.

With GC coilovers youre adjusting the ride height and the shock adjusts the softness of your ride (bound and rebound of the shock). GC are like the best coilover to get if youre goin with a combo shock+coilover, they ride the best and make the least amount of noise when you drive. The combo gives you height (from the coilovers) and damper (shocks) adjustability.

If you were to just get springs you cant adjust how high youre riding...so when it snows you cant go up and youre gonna be a plow. Coilovers: in that case you could ride higher (not stock but higher nonetheless) and I would want that when snow comes (that is if you drive the civic in the winter)

Heres that ebay link again for the Civic Koni Yellows:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1872213207
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 09:10 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

heres a link for true coilovers at Modacar for Civics:
http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Civic/MODACOI/

The Tokico Illuminas are a good price for what they are. Height and damper adjustable good ride (better than the strut+coilover combo).
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:49 AM   #5
fadednite

I have never seen Koni yellows for so cheap as they are on that ebay link. I bought mine for 535 delivered and was so happy that I got it so cheap. I'd definiately go with this auction.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:59 AM   #6
JDMB16

Re: Re: Advantage?

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
1) Groupbuy experiences depend on the vendor, can't sum them all together.

2) You won't be able to go very low with the AGX/GC combo, the struts will blow

3) You adjust the coilover sleeve for height and the strut for damping.

4) Advantage of coilover sleeves over springs: height adjustability. Disadvantage of sleeves: crappy ride, inferior to true coilovers.

1.) agreed
2.) the warranty is voided after 2 inches I believe. And yes they will blow with that big of a drop (3.5 inches)
3.) exactly
4.) disagree...the ride isn't crappy but indeed inferior to a true coilover system. The ride with Skunk2's is stiffer than the GC's (these being two of the most used adjustable coilover sleeves) I have GC's on a 2.5 inch drop with Koni Reds and they ride great for it being this low!! But yes, the Koni Yellows are a great purchase (I would have purchase them if $ permitted it at the time)
Old 11-14-2002, 01:48 AM   #7
slowEJ6

koni yellows are ride height adjustable - up to 1" lower with the yellows.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote