::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2002, 09:31 AM   #1
zm_dawg

Suspension Info.

If I were to say upgrade my suspension what would i all be looking at doing. I'd like to lower my car, but also want some added handling and a smoother ride. What do i purchase springs, coilovers? etc. i have no clue lol? Also, advantage do strut bars provide.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:02 PM   #2
nittanys1
2nd Gear

you would be getting different springs or coilovers...(i'd recomend springs) and you'd need some shocks/struts to go along with them. but by upgrading your suspen. you will not get a smoother ride rather a better handeling ride

A strut bar is used to reduce body flex/roll in turns
nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 01:43 PM   #3
ShagginJet

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1868974500

these are some really nice coils. They are a two coil setup, the one coil acts as the normal coil, and the other coil absorbs the smaller bumps to make the ride smoother.... HAve them on my car, awesome.

As for the shocks, you should step upto a KYB type of shock, front and rear, these ones are really nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1867786571

For the rolling and body flex. You need a sway bar to help the roll of the car, front and back. Strut bars and strut ties will help the car from flexing. Below is the front and rear, tie and bar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1868751814

You can find the sway bar's here and there. just none up on ebay right now...

**Yes I'm addicted to ebay**

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 01:43 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

go with full coilovers, this gives you good adjustability for whatever. Make sure you get ones that have height and damper adjustability though. Also when you drop it you'll need a camber kit to fix angle of the wheels. The ride will not be as good as stock, more rough and stiffer, even with damper adjusted to softest. Strut bars make the car more rigid when turning, lessens body flex of the horizontal.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:08 PM   #5
Grip72

I want to lower my car too..what exactly is a coilover? is it a spring sort of thing tha tgoes around the shock? Explain to me..i'm dumb
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:30 PM   #6
slowEJ6

H&R Full coilovers - they ride so VERY close to stock when dropped all the way down. they will be my first purchase for my next car.
a coilover is like this: www.ground-control.com - that is a "sleeved coilover"
a "true" coilover system has the shock body actually threaded, no sleeves.
it depends how low you go if you actually need a camber kit, i have about a 2.5" drop on all 4 corners and no negative wear on my tires.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:33 PM   #7
ShagginJet

If you're just looking for a simple 1-2" of drop, coils are the way to go. You can get a good quality coil like the one i listed above, the ride is good, and i've not noticed odd tire wear either.

Accord17: This is what happens. You get this threaded sleeve, a coil, and two huge nuts per tire. You take off the old spring, put the sleeve over the shock, maybe tighten some screws to hold it down tightly, adjust the huge nuts all the way up, put on the new coil, put the shock back on the car. Now the car will be at about normal ride hieght. As you lower the nuts down the sleeve the car will start to drop. usually you can drop them 1-3" with little work. if you're going over 2-1/2" you may need to cut the bot on the shock.

Does that explain it?

Old 10-16-2002, 08:24 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg

oh hell dont explain when you can show. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hks_coil.jpg (45.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-16-2002, 08:33 PM   #9
ShagginJet

But see i'm not cool like you dogg, i can't always be busting out the pictures of myfly shiat ly dat.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:37 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

ain' no thang home slice, is cool
Old 10-16-2002, 11:29 PM   #11
zm_dawg

when i lower my car i'm not looking for a ground ride...it'd still be a daily commuting car...i believe coilovers are the thing i would need. I say no more then 2" not knowing actually how much that actually is. so with this adjustment of lowering for looks and style but also a daily driver...am I looking and shocks and coilovers? or what
Old 10-17-2002, 12:13 AM   #12
ShagginJet

With your year car you can actually do it right with the type of shock/coil that dogg posted the picture of. If you're looking to do it cheaply, price and style, then you can just buy any coil over off of a site like ebay. Remember, you get what you pay for. Some coilovers offer a lifetime warranty on sag, i'd look into one of those if i was you.

Old 10-19-2002, 07:49 PM   #13
pdiggitydogg

go with ground control if you just want cheap. but remember to get some good shocks because those oe ones arent good enough if youre doing the coilover/shock combo. if you want full coilovers go to www.modacar.com, they have really good deals of apexi ws coilovers as well as others. if not there try options auto
Old 10-21-2002, 09:32 PM   #14
cashizslick

Re: Suspension Info.

Quote:
Originally posted by zm_dawg
If I were to say upgrade my suspension what would i all be looking at doing. I'd like to lower my car, but also want some added handling and a smoother ride. What do i purchase springs, coilovers? etc. i have no clue lol? Also, advantage do strut bars provide.

After puting my springs in, my car feels smoth on the road, not bouncy, and handles really well.

Strut bars allow your car to handle tighter by eliminating frame twis and strut tower flexing.