::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2002, 08:47 AM   #1
midjjj

When to get new ECU

Here's my problem. On my 96 Civic EX, I have put 2 1/4" Pipes with Flowmasters Exhaust, AEM Intake and Polished headers. I plan on making some other changes like flywheel, clutchplates, etc.. but when should I change my ECU? Should I wait until I get all of my new parts so i can program it for them or should I get it now? Also, any idea on what the best brand to go with is? please don't say Spoon, can't afford it! Thanks.

JT
Old 03-21-2002, 02:19 PM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

You don't need a new ECU with bolt ons. By definition, bolt-ons don't really change the way your engine functions. Your car may benefit from a little tweaking of the air/fuel maps, but definitely nothing major.

Until you've done something major (super aggressive cams, FI), your stock ECU will get the job done more than adequately. There are a number of "programs" out there. A program is the stock ECU, with new variables put in, such as the VTEC crossover point, air/fuel mapping, rev limiter, etc.

Piggyback units are the way to go, IMO, unless you have the time, money, and modifications to afford a standalone. Piggyback units (GReddy V-AFC and S-AFC, Blitz turbo timers and boost controllers, Fields VTEC units) allow infinite adjustability, where as a reprogrammed ECU does not.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 12:11 AM   #3
Saint212

This is a good question and josh is right unless you crossover to more agressive cams like I did and up your compression to 11.5:1 a stock ecu will be fine anything that needs to be changed with bolt on can be satisfied with an aftermarket FPR. But when I replaced all my internals I bought a Apexi Vafc which allowed me to remap my entire fuel curve for both high and low lobes and allowed me to adjust my vtec engagment point and gives a little heads up about whats going on inside your car.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:13 AM   #4
midjjj

Thanks fellas. I wasn;t even thinking about all the aftermarket computer stuff, great bringing that up. Feel confident that I'll be back with more to ask.

JT
Old 03-22-2002, 09:30 AM   #5
JaY D. Em

Both of those guys it the head on the nail... In fact i don't even like people re-chipping my ecu. I don't really like when things are out of my hands. And especially when i can't see them doing it. Not saying people are ripping others off like that but it just doesn't make me feel too comfortable. The main reason being that it's not made specifically for your car. Could help a little, could even take horsepower away. The Apex'i v-afc and other piggy back's are really your best bet. That way you could tune it to fit your car's mods.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:29 PM   #6
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

the rechipping would be an option if you had a turbo or have swapped out your ride and donw an all out rebuild of your motor from the block up then you would really benefit from a reprogrammed ECU..

I have heard though that if you do want one then wait til all mods have been done to get the full effectiveness...