::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2002, 07:59 PM   #1
20civic01

New - 2001 Civic EX

Just got "THE BEAST" last week. It is bone stock, and the first bone stock car I've owned. I had a 1994 Thunderbird Supercoupe a.k.a. heavy ass high 14 sec car with about 3k in mods. I wrecked it unfortunately and got a 1989 5.0 Mustang...MISTAKE!!! It had a few serious mods and was a mid to low 13sec car, but no heat, a/c, radio, and a weird smell that never goes away can seriously make you reconsider your prioritys, so I sold it and got a 2001 Civic EX (4door, but what can you do).

It's a 5-speed and isn't fast by any means, but is quick none the less. I want to make it cool looking and quicker N/A with stock head and bottom end. I know what wheels I want, and I want to drop it about 1.5". What I don't know is what to do to the engine. I know there's horsepower to be found in a CAI, Ignition Upgrade, Chip, Header & Exhaust, and Fuelsystem, but that is a pretty broad spectrum.

Does anyone know a good Recipe for making a 2001 4 door EX a mid to high 14sec car???
Old 03-06-2002, 01:23 AM   #2
Maxvla

weeeeeeelll...
taking a 16.7 1/4 car and adding a turbo would certainly get you into 14's maybe 13's. probly the mods you listed there would get you into low 15's. if not going forced induction think about a cam. some iridium spark plugs... ummm... pulleys... and the biggest hp gainer of all... a padded shoulder belt cover(rated at 400hp).
if you're going for all speed stay with either 15" or 16" rims.
17's are usually too heavy and it takes more force to turn them because of the larger circumference. whatever you do don't get chrome... chrome = weight.
see ya...
Old 03-06-2002, 08:35 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

visit the civic forum. those guys will help you spend the money on mods

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:16 PM   #4
4jacks

Hey,

Welcome to the boards! Glad ta have you hear. Checking out the Civic boards is going be your best bet, I would start w/ a AEM cold air intake though. That's going be my first performance mod. It's probably the best bang for your buck.

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 10:47 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 4jacks
Hey,

Welcome to the boards! Glad ta have you hear. Checking out the Civic boards is going be your best bet, I would start w/ a AEM cold air intake though. That's going be my first performance mod. It's probably the best bang for your buck.

no, turbo is the best bang for the $

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 12:44 AM   #6
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

no, turbo is the best bang for the $

he said he's going Naturally Aspired.
and Nitrous is the best bang for the buck. hands down.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:42 PM   #7
dukmahsik

uhhh

good luck getting there!

honda really messed up the new civics and integs by the way they reversed the head and have the exhaust mani on the rear... that will make turboing it HARD
Old 03-07-2002, 07:51 PM   #8
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla

he said he's going Naturally Aspired.
and Nitrous is the best bang for the buck. hands down.

Gosh Darn it PPL DO THE MATH

these number are somewhere near close, and thiers a big gap anyway

Cold Air Intake $200 / 15 Hp = $13.33 per Hp
Nitrous or Turbo $2000 / 75 Hp = $26.67 per Hp

Cold Air Intake is the BEST BANG PER BUCK

We really need a =þ face

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-08-2002, 08:50 AM   #9
Maxvla

IF you get 15hp from your cold air intake.
i doubt you get 10. redo your calculations now.
thats 19.95 per horsepower.
im not sure where you got your $ for nitrous...
but im getting about $6.50 per horsepower.

... i just calculated your nitrous cost... nitrous is NOT $2000.00.
thats turbo range. you can get an entire Zex Nitrous kit for 499.95
Old 03-08-2002, 03:43 PM   #10
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
IF you get 15hp from your cold air intake.
i doubt you get 10. redo your calculations now.
thats 19.95 per horsepower.
im not sure where you got your $ for nitrous...
but im getting about $6.50 per horsepower.

... i just calculated your nitrous cost... nitrous is NOT $2000.00.
thats turbo range. you can get an entire Zex Nitrous kit for 499.95

You can get Nitrous for $500 ??!?!?!?!?!?!? What about labor .... Nitrous is not a simple Bolt on mod like the air intake... a monkey and a screwdriver can install an Air intake.

I was assuming nitrous was as much as a turbo... but looking in my JCW sport catalog... i see your NOS kit for $500 for 40-60 hp. but they also have one that's $1400 but that's says up to 175hp...

Oh and JCW doesn't but other ads advertise 12-15hp gains w/ cold air.

Well anyway that makes NOS a pretty decent bang for the buck, as long as labor isn't too crazy.

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-08-2002, 10:07 PM   #11
Maxvla

nitrous isnt all that hard to install if you know what your doing.
if you get 10hp from an air intake you're lucky.

ok so the jcw nos kit is about 10 bucks/horsepower. still alot better than $20 for either turbo/intake.

>>Later>>
Old 03-25-2002, 05:19 PM   #12
LiquidRacerXR

Hey, i also own a 2k1 civic, and trust me, a AEM or Injen CAI is not gonna get you over 6 with AEM, you probably get around 3-4 HP and with Injen, you get around 4-6 horses, cuz i have friends that has AEM and Injen and there are dyno's out there that has those intakes on it and it is lower then 6 HP, trust me!.....the 2001 honda civic that is own by DC sports...only gain 5 horses with a exhaust, intake, and headers..and that is about 900 $ dollars and your only getting 5 HP! The newer civic is not like our old civic, old civic..if you bolt on somthing you autmaticly gain around 10-15 HORSES with a intake, but with the 2000+ civic..you barely gain any...oh yea..check out my car!!!!

http://2k1civic.com/members_rides/me...=supercivic2k1

hope you like it..and i hope i explain everything correctly!
Old 03-25-2002, 09:30 PM   #13
20civic01

why is it that you would get so little power from I/H/E? I want to make sure your info is legit before I decide what I'm going to do.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:40 PM   #14
4jacks

Well, I'm pretty sure AEM is going to give you the BEST Hp gain out of Any CAI, I would guess Injen right behind them. You may be right about Newer Civics, but AEM dyno's thier products and at one point in time they where gettin 12hp out of a Civic, So I dunno...

I looked a little in to Nitrious... It is NOT a Simple mod to be done by yourself, unless your highly knowlegdable. So Labor puts that Out of the Best Bang for you Buck Catagory.. Also just like the CAI you may not get all Hp thats advertised! I read an article doing a 01 Civic Ex up with NOS they got 45hp out of a 60hp shot... They had to add a bottle Warmer on to bring the hp up. That's more money right thier !

LiquidRacerXR ~~~~ Nice Civic ... Looks EXACTLY like mine... I even got the same tail lights, cept I shaved the Tail Lights in the Back and I got HX wheels, And I'se going get Dual DTM tip muffler. And I haven't Cleared my Headlights YET !

20civic01.... I/H/E are pretty much a nessacery building block for modding your car, If you want to monitor how much power your adding each step you take, My best advice is to go to the track every time you get a mod, and see what kinda times you can pull, and how much you can shave off w/ your mods.

That's a good way to see how your doing, plus its fun ! =) and a lot cheaper then getting it Dyno'ed

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-26-2002, 02:29 AM   #15
Maxvla

4jacks... 20civic01 probly knows more about cars than you do...
he's just checking on the performance of parts on cars like his.

also... even installed and warmed n20 is still the best bang for the buck. you can't beat it. even with a stick!
Old 03-26-2002, 09:14 AM   #16
4jacks

Sure.... Max... I'm sure Two Days of Labor is pretty cheap .... I mean you can Always get your uncle Joey to slap it on for $20

So Your right ... Nos is best bang for the buck

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/a...2_tech01.shtml

Happy Honda'ing
Old 03-26-2002, 12:58 PM   #17
Maxvla

4jacks... unless the labor is $1,500 on a $500 nos setup it is.
and no he's not my uncle.

i highly doubt that the labor would cost so much that it would no longer be the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:23 PM   #18
20civic01

4Jacks wins the AssClown award today. 2 days labor??? WTF? A full nitrous system is an 1 day job easily for an experienced mechanic. Even at that, 1,500 labor for 2 days of labor is insane.

and for liquidracerx, i'm not sure how you can get 3 hp out of a CAI and with the addition of a header and full length exhaust only get 2 more hp. It just doesn't add up.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:32 PM   #19
LiquidRacerXR

do a "search" on 2001 civic parts..and you'll find out..and you will thanks me one day!!
Old 03-26-2002, 11:27 PM   #20
Maxvla

intake+headers+exhaust will give you more than 5 hp even if they aren't great products. get your facts straight...
if this is your personal experience you must have something installed wrong. period end of statement.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:48 PM   #21
4jacks

Alright Max, You made me a believer !

I called around Today, You can get A NOS 75Hp Shot With Bottle Warmer and Auto Opener for $689, and they'll Install it for $150.00. And it's an All Day Install, And yes he has kept some for two. This was Auto Intentioins in Fallston MD. I forgot to ask about a compression test, but I'm sure thats its no big deal.

Well I'm in F*ing disbelief, I had Always assumed Nitrious was just as much as a Turbo Set-up.

So That pretty much settles Nitrious as Being The Best Bang for Your Buck. And I'm thinkin After I get my Body Kit and Some wheels, I'm definatly going Get that NOS Kit.

And 20Civic01... Get your shit straight before you go calling me an ass... I'm mean DAMN I posted a Link where I got my info from. They claimed a 10 hour install time on the kit they put in, and at least 6 hours on a basic kit. I think I'm Allowed to assume, without being an ass, that any shop is going keep your car for 2 days on 10 hours of labour. Also I think it's pretty reasonable to guesstimate the $$ at a lot more than $150 . I never said $1500 for labour I was thinking around $600 though, Which was my reason for holding to an Air intake as Best Bang for the $. Sorry if I didn't know that kinda labour would be less than half the going $60 an hour mechanical rate. But I'll let it slide cuase your new and I like your car and all.

Well I Was wrong !!! There I really Admitted it. Don't tell my wife.

Happy Honda'ing