::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2002, 07:39 AM   #1
1SweetV6

What would be the best VW to get ??

My G/F was in an accident yesterday. Were not sure but we think her Neon is totaled. She really, really like's the new Jetta's. Now if she get's one, she won't be doing much modifying to it. Maybe an intake & exhaust. Not really to much. So my question is, What would be the bets Jetta to get ?? I saw at the Philly convention center, last year, they have V6 with 200 HP. I also saw they had a 1.8 (I think) I4 that was turbo. It has like 150 HP. I thought they had one that was turbo and one that wasn't (like 130 HP or something). I'm not 100 % sure. We might go out to a VW dealer ship this weekend and look around. I don't know to much about VW's. My sister has a 96 Golf, and it's been a very good car. Anything she get's will be an auto, she doesn't like stick & isn't into racing. She doesn't like the GTI or VR6, so there out. Only the Jetta.

Any and all comment's are welcome.
She is fine, just a bit sore.
If she can't get a VW she wonts to get a V6 accord.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:40 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Whats the newest she can get.. The newest version on the Jetta has 1.8T that pushes out 180Hp. Add some little things like an exhaust and intake and you can easily be about 220 hp or so. The new 1.8Ts are so easy to modify.. I personally am a fan of the GTIs. How many stock hondas can get 15hp to the wheels just with an exhaust?
Old 07-12-2002, 08:40 AM   #3
spoogenet

I've heard a lot of bad things about VW's, I came real close to buying one....but didn't. Those issues aside....

The Jetta used to be offered with the VR6, which was pretty sweet, but the guys at the dealer told me that they're not offering the VR6 in the Jetta anymore. Basically the Jetta will have two engines, an underpowered I4 and the 1.8T with 150hp, I believe.

If she wants a little more power, then tell her to get the Turbo S bug....it's got a 1.8T with 180hp, IIRC.

I think VW still uses cast iron blocks, although they're heavy as hell, they can handle the power. There are TONS of mods out for VW's. Easiest would probably be to add a chip, I think that can buy you quite a bit of power, and probably doesn't cost too much.

The new VW's seem to be very well designed and made cars. I was very impressed with them when I went looking around, and they give you a lot of bang for your buck. They are also good looking. When I started doing research I came up with way too many complaints about them, so that kept me from buying one. I wanted a Honda anyways.

b
Old 07-12-2002, 08:49 AM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Actually.. As of right now.. The Jetta does still come in a VR6..

Heres a list of whats available.. http://www.vw.com/jetta/engspec.htm
Old 07-12-2002, 08:52 AM   #5
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
The Jetta used to be offered with the VR6, which was pretty sweet, but the guys at the dealer told me that they're not offering the VR6 in the Jetta anymore.
You can still get the VR6. Not sure what dealer you went to, but you might look elsewhere.
Quote:
Basically the Jetta will have two engines, an underpowered I4 and the 1.8T with 150hp, I believe.
Underpowered? Not hardly. 180HP in the new 1.8T. Up 30HP from last year.
Quote:
If she wants a little more power, then tell her to get the Turbo S bug....it's got a 1.8T with 180hp, IIRC.
Beetles are evil. Nuff said.
Quote:
I think VW still uses cast iron blocks, although they're heavy as hell, they can handle the power. There are TONS of mods out for VW's. Easiest would probably be to add a chip, I think that can buy you quite a bit of power, and probably doesn't cost too much.
They aren't that heavy. The Jetta 1.8T weighs in at 3155lbs. Not too horrible for a 4 door. And the chips work wonders on the 1.8T. You'll get more gains from a VW than you will from a Honda (not just chips, just about any mod).
Quote:
The new VW's seem to be very well designed and made cars. I was very impressed with them when I went looking around, and they give you a lot of bang for your buck. They are also good looking. When I started doing research I came up with way too many complaints about them, so that kept me from buying one. I wanted a Honda anyways.
Every manufacturer has complaints. I won't lie, VW doesn't rank real high. Honda beats them by miles in the service dept. area.

Anyhow, I've been looking the new VWs for quite a while. In fact I may go test drive a Jetta tonight. I don't normally like 4dr cars, but I love the Jettas for some reason. The GTIs aren't to shabby either.
I say get a VW. If she's not doing much with it she may not need/want a VR6 or the 1.8T. She could always get the base 2.0.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:49 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

if u want a new jetta make sure you get one in Wolfsburg Edition, and not any other one. the WE is made in germany not in mexico like the rest of the others sold in us. the ones made in mexico are pretty crappy, and the problems start as soon as 15k miles on the engine. i would get the vr6 thou

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 11:49 AM   #7
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

You can still get the VR6. Not sure what dealer you went to, but you might look elsewhere.

Apparently one where they didn't know what was going on.

Quote:

Underpowered? Not hardly. 180HP in the new 1.8T. Up 30HP from last year.

Underpowered meaning the NA I4. I guess it's probalby not too bad, but I'd much rather have the turbo or 6 in the Jetta, it really needs the power to be fun. The 1.8T last year was the 150hp, I didn't realize they bumped it up to 180hp for this year, so thanks for the correction.

Quote:

Beetles are evil. Nuff said.

Evil good, or evil bad? Please explain.

Quote:

Every manufacturer has complaints. I won't lie, VW doesn't rank real high. Honda beats them by miles in the service dept. area.

Anyhow, I've been looking the new VWs for quite a while. In fact I may go test drive a Jetta tonight. I don't normally like 4dr cars, but I love the Jettas for some reason. The GTIs aren't to shabby either.
I say get a VW. If she's not doing much with it she may not need/want a VR6 or the 1.8T. She could always get the base 2.0.

True dat.

Oh, and forgot to ask....is your girlfriend ok????

b
Old 07-12-2002, 12:02 PM   #8
1SweetV6

She's okay. I just talked to her. Her back and knee's are sore, but that's all. She was lucky. Not broke glass or anything like that. A bit upset. Were still waiting to hear from the insurance company. I didn't see the car, so I don't know if it's totaled or looked worse than it is. We will find out soon.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:57 PM   #9
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Evil good, or evil bad? Please explain.
Evil bad.....
Old 07-12-2002, 01:22 PM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

Evil bad.....

He doesnt like Beetles.. Not that I could really blame him..
Old 07-12-2002, 02:07 PM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the only beaters that i like have the flower rims . i'm not gay but that car is

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 03:13 PM   #12
blind34_1

thats good that you'r girlfriend is alright. Is there a price range your trying to keep within? I personally like VW Golf. There is one around my town that has been modified and it is NICE. I'd say try to push honda, though. You said she may consider an accord...

Those companies both make excellent cars...

(No Beetles or Cabriolets...yuck)
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 03:21 PM   #13
1SweetV6

She wont's to get something around 18,000. If the car is totaled. No I don't like the Beetles or Cabriolets ether. Nither dos she.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:48 PM   #14
ShEaNy

lol u like volks but yet u hate almost EVERYTHING made by them but the Jetta....lol.... i say HONDA ACCORD lol....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 03:59 PM   #15
blind34_1

oh wow, you've got plenty of budget to work around. I'd say buy a jetta and use the rest of that cash for some inconspicous (m/s) mods. Gosh I wish I had that kind of cash to blow on a car...civic si sedan baby!
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 06:53 PM   #16
DsBlu01CivEX

I'm sorry to hear about your gf, but I'm glad that she is alive and will get better. As for the car thing....I have nothing to say but GTI!!! I love the new GTIs. If this would have happened sooner she could have gotten on the list for the 337 GTI. One of my best guy friends got one of the three that came to our area. Has "stock" 18" wheels, chrome exhaust and I forget what all else...he was tellin me but I really wasn't payin attention i was too busy droolin. For older VWs I like the Corrados...the only thing with them is that parts for them are very expensive. GTI's are relatively inexpensive to hook up.

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 08:27 PM   #17
90civiclxryder

a corrado with a vr6 motor, is the best vdub
Old 07-12-2002, 11:29 PM   #18
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

if manual then 1.8t

otherwise, the vr6.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<