::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2001, 12:25 AM   #1
OneDopeTeg

Swap RSX Type-S engine into new Civic Si hatch

I was thinking since the new Civic Si hatch is going to have a 2.0L i-VTEC engine with 160hp (I assume the same one available in the base RSX) then it should be feasible to swap in the RSX Type-S 2.0L 200hp i-VTEC engine. Man would that be a dope ride. The only problem and I do not know if it really would be a problem--would be getting the 6spd RTS tranny to work with the rally style shifter for the Civic Si. Any thoughts? I am sure these engines are expensive as crap right now.....but just wait til a few start crashing.
Old 09-18-2001, 11:13 PM   #2
OneDopeTeg

I am not sure about the engine mounts on the RSX and the 01 Civic Coupes but I wonder if it would be possible to swap an RSX engine into a new Civic? A RSX Type-S powered 01 Civic Coupe would be a nice car
Old 09-18-2001, 11:20 PM   #3
DELETE *.*

no can do. the rsx turns the wrong way.
Old 09-19-2001, 12:50 PM   #4
OneDopeTeg

I know.....but if the RSX engine is going into the new Civic Si then I wonder how far off the engine mounts will be between the Si and the Civic Coupe? The way the engine rotates does not matter if you swap over the axles and tranny....it's all about the engine mounts as to whether it is possible.
Old 09-19-2001, 01:25 PM   #5
DELETE *.*

anything possible.
Old 09-24-2001, 01:31 PM   #6
slowerthanu

Mounting the RSX-S engine in the new SI should not present too much of a problem, the engines are externally identical, mounting the RSX-S engine in the 01 Civic coupe should be nearly impossible.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:06 AM   #7
eastcoastdelsol

actually, both engines are k-series 2.0's. hence, they are interchangeable, and I'm 98% sure the mounts are the same.

i'd be more than confident in saying that you can drop a type S into a 01+ civic.

as far as the enw Si's shifter-- its all about the linkage. you need the rsx linkage, and i think its cable, not bars anyway- which means its flexible.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:15 AM   #8
JaY D. Em

Man, you know honda didn't forget about us!!! I was thinking the tranny's are fully interchangeable, meaning, using different shift linkages is possible. They should switch out no problem, judging from how Honda's done it in the past...
Old 10-28-2001, 04:10 PM   #9
da_konig

Cool but why

Its a cool idea but why spend $5,000+ dollars for a 40hp gain and have to deal with all the swap headaches for that price a good turbo can add 200hp +.Its a cool idea but wrong car try putting the RSX engine in a the new honda hybrid(electric car).
Old 11-04-2001, 10:34 PM   #10
OneDopeTeg

why? two words....Civic Type-R
Old 11-11-2001, 06:47 PM   #11
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by OneDopeTeg
why? two words....Civic Type-R
that wouldnt make it a Civic Type-R .....and if its only a 40hp gain, its NOT worth it. as was said, better off just going with a turbo kit for the money, or at least waiting till the swaps are done and done again so the price goes down....cuz paying probably about $4k+ for 40hp isnt very
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 06:57 PM   #12
OneDopeTeg

haha....I know it wouldn't be a Type-R but it would have the same power.....In essence it would be the closest thing that we in the US could get to a Type-R (same bragging rights as sayin that a Civic hatch has a B18C5...especially if you were one of the first to do it). And I realize that first off to find the engine would be hard and if you did find one....it would be costly as would the swap process.....this thread was just to talk about the Hybrids of the future.....not necessarily reccomending them right now.....merely looking ahead at the possibilities As far as turbo's go the grass is always greener on the other side. Throw a turbo on that 160hp i-VTEC or swap in the 200hp i-VTEC and then turbo that.....obviously the latter is more costly but it would also net more hp if they were both tuned the same....its all about how crazy ya wanna get.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:06 PM   #13
slowEJ6

i dont even wanna imagine how much 7g civic and rsx swaps would run right now.....it may cause panic.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:19 AM   #14
B18C-EJ1

Man, you guys aren't thinking out of the box yet.......

For get CTR, RSX, whatever......

Believe me when I say this. 2003 WRX STI will own the strips and streets.

My hybird koop will be available very soon to buy................
Old 12-04-2001, 09:09 AM   #15
OneDopeTeg

haha what does a WRX have to do with outside the box thinking....sure that is one badass car but it is also a turbo and it is also heavy and the all wheel drive translates into bigger than average power loss through the drivetrain....my vote turbo GSR or turbo H22A any day of the week! Thats outside the box! now if that WRX came with the Japanese spec turbo with variable valve timing then maybe I would consider it but until then for the money you could have a civic HB with a turbo DOHC VTEC. Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:18 PM   #16
TruHeel142

H e l l, how bout just swapping a NSX engine into a Si???

Is that even possible, cause if it is, then damn that'd be a nice ride. I'm just trying to come up with ideas here.

And not to do with Honda's, but what about a BMW M5 engine into a BMW X5??? Now thats a SUV I'd drive!
Old 12-07-2001, 03:55 PM   #17
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Of course this swap would be possible- and very easy. K20A, K20C. Same as B18A, B18C. Same series. And there are plenty of people shelling out cash for a 40 hp gain- B18B-> B18C. 140-180 hp. However, that's for potential. A B18C has a lot more potential than a B18B, just because of VTEC. With both K20s already VTEC equipped, I don't know how much more potential the K20C has, or even where that 40 hp comes from (I haven't done much reading on the K series, yet).

How is buying a car off the lot thinking outside the box? Not sure I undertand that one.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote