::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2003, 11:11 PM   #1
blind34_1

B18A or ZC into 90civ hb

alright it seems every other week I'm thinking that one or the other of these engines will be my swap, but I just can't decide. I'm looking for your experiences in helping me sway my decision. Heres my pro con list, see if you can add to it:

the B18A
PRO's
- can get it locally, no middlemen
- price is good, $450 full swap
- B18's are more reliable (?)
- More potential (?)
CON's
- 140k on the motor
- can get a ZC for about 450
- will require a rebuild
- will require motor mounts

The ZC
PRO's
- it's a JDM engine (thats kinda what I'm going for)
- its a direct swap
- its a direct swap
- wont require new trans
- lower miles, maybe
- a good modest swap
CON's
- don't know what I'm getting (online, no local source)
- only a 28 hp increase over my stock si
- 300 bucks for shipping!
- will require rebuild

Okay, the rebuilding factor will cancel out, because no matter what I'm not just throwing in an engine that I dont know where its been how hard its been driven etc. So myself and my friend will take it apart and clean it out, replace gaskets, etc.

I've been considered the problem of aftermarket support for ZCs. also, if I need a part real quick, can I walk into autozone and say I need a ______ for a _______?

What are the performance advantages between the two (and dont just say hp. (I'm prolly staying N/A, for now)
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:37 AM   #2
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

id have to say b18 just because i have a friend who has a zc in his crx. he did the about 1.5 year ago and it seems every time it got to running good he would have a prob. it think he has had it taken down twice and put back toghter.

besides from what he has said u cant get as many parts as u probably could for the b18.
ifeldwn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:10 PM   #3
96coupe

i say go with the b18a. i know a few people with this swap and they love it. also, you will appreciate the extra torque of the motor. there is generally more potential from the b18a largely due to the fact that it has been known to be a good bottom for ls/vtec if you would have those plans down the road. all depends on how much you will build it up before hand.

as for the question about getting parts from autozone, i know they sell axles and stuff like that but i am not sure what all they offer, might be able to see thru their website. although they do offer axles w/ a warranty i have heard not so good things about their axles so you best bet would be to make sure you have all the parts before doing the swap to make sure you don't fun into this problem.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:47 AM   #4
racerus

I think the zc is the same engine used in the 86-89 integra but not sure.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:49 AM   #5
a96710

Quote:
Originally posted by racerus
I think the zc is the same engine used in the 86-89 integra but not sure.

They used a D16a6. I think you should go with a B18a.
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:24 AM   #6
blind34_1

yeah, considering shipping for a zc will be about as much as buying motor mounts for a b18a, I think it'll be the best idea. I got lotsa work to do. thanks guys
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:29 AM   #7
SthPerformance

i would do the B18a for the simple fact of you having actualy torque on demand.. ZC motors have no torque what-so-ever.
Also some of those JDM motors have been sitting for years upon years. I would try and get a USDM B18a/b motor ... I paid 750.00 for my 2001 LS motor with 12k miles...
If you search around you can get great deals...
Check out www.car-parts.com
Enjoy
Old 02-16-2003, 03:33 AM   #8
92vx

ZC is a POS,but so is the B18A.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:14 AM   #9
SthPerformance

Quote:
Originally posted by 92vx
ZC is a POS,but so is the B18A.

And you drive a VX with what motor in it? hopfully your not talking this trash when your driving with the stock d15z1 motor under your hood.. That damn vx motor aint got enough torque to open a pickle jar let alone pull around a 2100+lbs chassis ...

LS motors are far from being "POS" motors... In my book the LS motor is by far better then the B16a motors for daily driving because the power band on the LS is were most daily driven cars see it .. those b16a motors you have to rev the piss out of them to get any kind of power...

OWNED!!
Old 02-16-2003, 07:17 AM   #10
92vx

Quote:
Originally posted by SthPerformance
And you drive a VX with what motor in it? hopfully your not talking this trash when your driving with the stock d15z1 motor under your hood.. That damn vx motor aint got enough torque to open a pickle jar let alone pull around a 2100+lbs chassis ...

LS motors are far from being "POS" motors... In my book the LS motor is by far better then the B16a motors for daily driving because the power band on the LS is were most daily driven cars see it .. those b16a motors you have to rev the piss out of them to get any kind of power...

OWNED!!
That's funny owned hahaha,if your going to own somebody,that isn't how you do it.Since I didn't say LS,I said B18A,which is a POS,your a tard.No I don't have a pickle jar opener motor in my VX.You obviously have never driven or raced a VX w/a B16A in it.Or you wouldn't be able to talk,because you'd be choking on dust.It has plenty of power for daily street driving
And if you want to talk numbers,then ok.A B18A1 makes 130hp and 121ftlbs and a B16siRII makes 170hp and 116ftlbs,WOW 40 more hp,compared to what 5ftlbs,you're a idiot for even trying to argue it.5ftlbs is shit,and it's funny when you people that went with the cheaper POS,try to defend it with 5ftlb advantage.HAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 02-16-2003, 07:36 AM   #11
SthPerformance

i used to have a VX.....
Also, a LS (b18a or b18b) has more potencial then a B16a hands down.
As they say, there is no replacement for displacement....
Seems you went the cheap route with a 1.6Liter.....
Also what Rpm does that b16a make 116ft lbs of torque... prolly way above 6k...
Just face it, the B16a is a torqueless motor and you gotta rev the piss out of it to make any kinda power.... Thats why more and more people are going the LS,GSR and ITR route because you get more displacement and more torque... And as you said whoopy 5 extra ft lbs... well its is a extra 5 ft lbs.. but those extra 5 ft lbs are made way below the rpm range of where your b16a starts to make any kinda power witch hense you would be choking on my smoke....
jason hunt uses a B18b1 bottom end, why? cause displacement
Kenny tran uses a b18 bottom end, why cause obvisously it makes them go faster...
gardella uses a B18 bottom end
Sav uses a b18 bottom end
Boosted3g from this here website uses a B18b1 bottom end (will be making 600+ wheelhorsepower)

Now you support facts to why a 1.6Liter b16a is better
Old 02-16-2003, 08:11 AM   #12
92vx

Sorry but they don't have more potential,maybe if you frankenstein,but that's it.The B16A siRII makes it's torque at 7000rpm 1000 more than the B18A yes,but since it has shorter gears it comes to it faster,making power faster.WOW I have to rev 7000,good that's more time in my powerband,while your shifting I'm still going.Your not getting off the line faster and your not going to catch it once it is ahead,sorry.Your 5 extra lbs ain't going to cut it,even if they are at 5000 rpms.
So learn how to spell and then you can get into reading other magazines to give you more ideas.I'll be in the garage working on my motor or on the street driving it.Trust there are plenty of people using B16 bottoms and making really good figures,so "he uses a,and she uses a...." are just not good enough.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:27 AM   #13
SthPerformance

instead of reading magazines that most of the time what they say isnt 100% correct you should try and go to the track more offen...

My friend has a b18a1 in his 92 dx hatchback and we raced a 89 civic hatch with a b16a and mild bolt ons..... the b16a didnt pass us till around top end of 3rd gear.... My friend was using the LS tranny and had a airman intake and thats all....

But you still havent gave us facts on why a b18a is a "POS" .. ..
How about you give us some facts on that?
Old 02-16-2003, 08:29 AM   #14
SthPerformance

[quote]Originally posted by 92vx
[b]Sorry but they don't have more potential,maybe if you frankenstein,but that's it.[quote]

My friend built a LS motor, all it had was a blockguard with a t04b turbo with 20psi and ran low 11's..... Stock sleeves, stock cyl head with stock valvetrain. low 11 on BF-G drag radials...

His name is Jason "a.k.a. st00pid" from houston texas... look him up..
Old 02-16-2003, 12:41 PM   #15
92vx

Hmmmm...the numbers are enough for me.Not to mention having driven both motors in the same car.Besides that it has a shitty R/S 1.54 compared to the B16's almost perfect 1.74,it's low 9.1:1 compression (good for boost,but not much else),along with a weak cam profile,all come together to produce a unimpressive,boring motor.Yea you can boost it,but you can boost a B16A and B18C too,with much better results.Or you can rebuild it,but then you don't have a B18A1 anymore you have whatever you built.

BTW if torque is what your after,get away from hondas,they don't have any.Drive a Camaro and then tell me a Honda has torque,haha.Not to mention the reason a B16 is a good motor in a hatch is that lots of torque is not nescessary to get it moving,so the top end is a better deal.Now don't try to say I have something against 1.8's cuz I don't I love the B18C1/4/5/7 they're great,the B18A1 however is a POS.