Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
FasterThanLight

Big gauge power wire to battery...

howdy, y'all. here's my dilemma:

i want a clean way to mount my 4 gauge power wire to the battery. i have a gold-plated distro terminal that i can use, but i want something cleaner. i have a '95 integmo gs-r... and i was peeking at the fuse/power distribution block in the engine compartment near the firewall on the passenger side... and i wonder if i can hook something up to that from underneath... to the spot labeled as "50A - OPTION"

does anyone have any experience with this? pretty pretty please?
Old 05-10-2002, 07:46 PM   #2
Maxvla

i have my amp hooked up on the fuse box under the hood. don't see why you can't.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:25 PM   #3
black95gs-t

DO NOT EVER HOOK UP STEREO POWER TO EXISTING CAR FUSE BOXES EVER FOR THE LOVE OF JIMBO AND EVERYTHING ELSE STUPID LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the reason NOT to hook up to existing fuse boxes or panels is because they are the noiseiest places to get power from. have you ever heard you friends stereo get louder as the rpm's increased? that is where that comes from. run power directly from the battery. a local stereo shop should have a terminal you cna replace your stock terminal with that has inputs for the car positive wire in addition to the stereo posative terminal. that is probably as clean as you will get it. make sure you use split loom and it will look like a stock wire. kinda. depending on what gauge you use for power.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 11:02 PM   #4
Maxvla

already got mine switched... good lookin out jon.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:51 AM   #5
FasterThanLight

Quote:
DO NOT EVER HOOK UP STEREO POWER TO EXISTING CAR FUSE BOXES EVER FOR THE LOVE OF JIMBO AND EVERYTHING ELSE STUPID LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol... i don't know if i should be offended() or laugh

anyway, thanks for the info... i've always run power wire from the battery to the amps directly, i was just looking for something stealthy this time around. i have a monster cable terminal that i will use... 4g wire doesn't look too far from stock any way, i guess. i'll just get some black heat shrink tube for it, and i'll be 'swumpin' in no time...
Old 05-17-2002, 12:07 AM   #6
black95gs-t

i wasn't meanin to offend. but make sure you run rca's and power on opposite sides. running them on the same side can also lead to the same result.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 05-17-2002, 01:34 AM   #7
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by black95gs-t
i wasn't meanin to offend. but make sure you run rca's and power on opposite sides. running them on the same side can also lead to the same result.
J

i did know that... hehe. sounds cleaner now that its switched to the battery.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:50 AM   #8
FasterThanLight

Quote:
make sure you run rca's and power on opposite sides. running them on the same side can also lead to the same result.

on that same note, don't run the rca's or power wiring next to the spark plug wires... that would be an expensive mistake, but you could be the laughing stock of your friends... oh wait that sucks too...
Old 05-24-2002, 01:41 PM   #9
black95gs-t

don't run rca's by anything that has an electric current in it. reason being, the purpose of an rca is to transport an electric signal. the closer they are to anything that has current in it, the more likely you are to pick up interfearence from somewhere.
J

Old 05-24-2002, 07:26 PM   #10
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by FasterThanLight

on that same note, don't run the rca's or power wiring next to the spark plug wires... that would be an expensive mistake, but you could be the laughing stock of your friends... oh wait that sucks too...

why would you have rca's under the hood?
Old 05-24-2002, 10:59 PM   #11
FasterThanLight

Quote:
why would you have rca's under the hood?

well, you wouldn't. i think that was my point. i was shooting for funny, but damn this inflection-free text messaging... the only reason i would have rca's under the hood is if i were incredibly dense, but i'm not, so i wouldn't and won't be doing that. ever. does anyone know if rcas will pick up efi from the leads going from amp to speakers? i've always kept them separate, with minimal runs of parallel wiring, but i don't know if i need to do that... any input is appreciated! happy honda'ing!

j
Old 05-31-2002, 12:48 AM   #12
black95gs-t

they shouldn't. and yes i was very tired and missed the whole rca's under the hood line. SUE ME!!!!! j/p
J