::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
JDMFantasy2k

vtec activation light

I know some people want to know how to install a vtec activation light so here it goes.

you will need:
electrical wire ( 16-18 gauge will work well)
small led light (color of your choice) that will fit a 1/4" hole
heat shrink tubing
soldering iron/solder
wire tap-in connector
drill
1/4" bit
1 330-ohm resistor
zip ties

most of the supplies may be found at radio shack.
Okay first of all i take no resonsibiltity if you mess up your car. This install is based on my experience and your skill and car may be different. And with that said lets begin.

First of all you need to locate your vtec silenoid. On most engines it is located right next to the valve cover on the top left. It is a little cylinder with one green wire with a yellow strips comming out of it. Use your wire tap and connect a wire to the vtec wire. Take the wire and run it through the fire wall. Then clean up you wiring nicely with some zip ties. Now take out your gauge cluster. Undo the two screws (when you're in the drivers seat they are located on the top underside about 5 inches above the gauges.) Then pull gently but firmly to pop out the clips. Now undo the 4 screws that hold in your gauges. Undo the 4 connectors on the gauges and take out the assembly. Now on the backside and on the left you should see a line of holes (manual tranny only) where the automatic gear lights would be. I drilled out one of these with a 1/4" bit for the location of my led however your dash may be different and you may have to get creative. Now take you led, solder in the 330-ohm resistor to the positive lead. Slide the led into the dash and connect your wire from the engine bay to the resistor (solder, heatshrink it etc). Now run the black wire (obviously extrend it with some wire) to a ground source. I secured it to a bolt near my ecu. Once that is done you're basically finished. Screw your gauge assembly back into the dash, replace the shroud, insert the two screws and your set.

Now the vtec in general will NOT work when the car isn't warmed up (less than 125*). SO when you try it out at first and it doesn't come on don't be worried. Give it like 3 minutes. It also won't come on when the car is parked, or moving at less than something like 11mph. Other than that whenever you car is above 5000-5500 rpms (depending on application), the light should come on to let you know that the high speed cam lobe is engaged.

good luck, and don't get eliminated!!
Old 06-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
acidburns_di
Parked

any picture for my good reference pal.....especially for locations of LED light.........
this sounds interesting mannnnnn.......cool
acidburns_di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
4thgenaccord

How-to with pics....

http://www.geocities.com/hondalover11279/Vteclight.html