::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2002, 04:33 PM   #1
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Playing with the idea of upgrading my front speakers...

My car comes stock with 6 1/2s in the door (I think!?!) and tweeters in the dash (1"?). Right now I have an Eclipse HU, some cheap Pioneer 6x9s in the rear deck, and stock speakers up front. I also have a Sony amp powering 2 8" bazooka tubes (they were free but don't sound that great).

I really don't want to spend more than $150-$200 for the front speakers, and though they won't have an amp to go with them now, they probably will in the future. The way its set up right now, even when I fade to the front, it sounds like the sound is coming from behind me. Will some better speakers up front cure this? Also, should I get components? Any help would be great, I don't know too much about car audio.

Thanks guys

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:07 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Come on audio gurus, I know you have some input for me

Old 04-23-2002, 03:14 PM   #3
black95gs-t

in that price range, i would get a kickass pair of coax speakers. almost any component in that range is not going to sound very good. and really the components usually take more power than the coax. the worst thing you can do to a speaker is under power it. under powering = slow bad sounding death for it. in that range, there are decent diamond audio's, decent planet audio's, low end mb quart, but for that price i wouldn't expect a competition like sound. audio equipment is like women. generally, the more money you spend the better it is.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:39 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hmm... how much would I have to spend on a decent set of components? Also, I know they would be underpowered for awhile, but would it really kill them? Would I notice a huge difference with components vs. coax?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-23-2002, 03:43 PM   #5
dinomon

I would go with the co-axils, since it would fit in the stock location... and you won't have to find a place to put the tweeters..

If you get the amp for it, you might want to consider getting rid of the rear speakers, since it will still be run with the CD player's built in amp (or run it together with the front speakers, or get a seperate amp for it and adjust the gain so it won't sound like the sound is coming from behind you).. Since when you turn it up, it might not sound to good since it will be underpowered...
Old 04-23-2002, 03:53 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dinomon
I would go with the co-axils, since it would fit in the stock location... and you won't have to find a place to put the tweeters..

If you get the amp for it, you might want to consider getting rid of the rear speakers, since it will still be run with the CD player's built in amp (or run it together with the front speakers, or get a seperate amp for it and adjust the gain so it won't sound like the sound is coming from behind you).. Since when you turn it up, it might not sound to good since it will be underpowered...

When I get an amp, I was planning on a 4ch amp for the front and rears. I've heard of leaving out the rears, so I'll just have to figure that out when I get there. As for mounting the tweeters, I already have stock tweeters, so that won't be a problem.

Just speaking strictly sound, would it be a much better idea to save up and get components instead or the coax?

Old 04-23-2002, 03:57 PM   #7
black95gs-t

the sq will depend on what brands and models you are comparing. for instance, company A's coax speakers could sound better than company B's component speakers, but sound not so good when compared to other components. did i make any sence with that? i'm sorry about my bad explaining skills. and witht he components it depends on the brand and model, how quick you can ruin them. i mean if you get the top of the line focal or mb quart components, and run them off of your head unit's internal amp, they will sound crappy from the beginning. really i would get a pair of moderatly priced coax speakers, then when you want a mid/high amp, upgrade again. i know my way is more expencive, but its one of those things. while speakers are ment for several applications, really they are good for one or the other usually. ok prepare yourself for another patented bad example. wanting a good pair of components now for an amp later, or a good pair of coax now and an amp later is like trying to run a nascar in the 1/4 mile against a top fuel funny car, or a top fuel funny car in the daytona 500. while both are extremly fast in their own event, if you put them in a different event, they will not even be able to compete. basically what i'm tryin to say is you need different speakers for different applications. tell me if i need to try harder to explain.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 04-23-2002, 04:05 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

That made perfect sense black95gs-t. Thanks. Here's another question: I would disconnect my factory tweeters then? Also, would coax speakers in the bottom of my door project the highs well enough?

Old 04-23-2002, 04:12 PM   #9
black95gs-t

yes disconnect the tweeters. there is a feature on some coax speakers where you can reposition the tweeter and point it in a variety of different directions. but if you can't find any of those, even the straight pointing ones will work better than what you ahve now. you might hear more "tweetage" (my own custom word) from the right side of the car though.

Old 04-23-2002, 04:22 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Alright, thanks for all of your help. I'll look around for some different models and I'll probably ask what you think of them later

Old 04-23-2002, 04:49 PM   #11
black95gs-t

cool. hey if i happen to dissapear for a couple of days its cuz i had to work. when i work i get up go to work, generally work for 13 to 15 hours come home and go to sleep. and this generally happens 3 or 4 days in a row.

Old 04-24-2002, 01:54 AM   #12
Maxvla

ah... trevor's upgrading speakers.... i see.

ya know... funny thing you might check out crutchfield.com.
i know. you're laughing. yeah right your saying. but ive seen their infinity kappa component 6.5's on sale for like 220 bucks. which is really close to your price range and those are some very nice speakers. not quite mbquart but close.
otherwise... high end coax for that money. check out the kenwood excelon 6.5's they sound very nice a bit pricey something like 190ish.

btw... you have connections do you not?? woofersetc.com??
hold them at gunpoint and get some free speakers... hehe.
no seriously... can't they give you a killer deal on stuff?

coax vs component...
component for me starts at infinity kappas. nothing less others just sound like they are heaving. (very graphic... sorry)
coax actually some moderately priced coax speakers have surprised me. can't remember any off the top of my head... but just go to every shop within 100 miles (j.k) and listen to everything they have. even if its out of your price range. btw... some of those demo rooms have like a million different stereos... find one thats pretty well adjusted to how you like and leave iton that one to listen to every speaker. dang this is getting long.

if all else fails... EBAY! lol.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:51 AM   #13
black95gs-t

IMO, anything kenwood really does not impress me. i just think they have taken quite the dive as far as sound quality and product design and construction goes. just my opinion though.

Old 04-24-2002, 10:14 AM   #14
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by black95gs-t
IMO, anything kenwood really does not impress me. i just think they have taken quite the dive as far as sound quality and product design and construction goes. just my opinion though.

The Excelon components (with pink/purple cone) sound very very good..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:35 AM   #15
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Hey Trev!
Wow, I was so busy that I somehow missed this thread..

I really dont think you should go with coaxs.. Cause you'll be missing most of the highs. The thing is that in our Accords, the speaker is exactly in the same axis as in which your passenger (or yourself) would keep your legs..

And even with swivel tweeters, It wont sound that good. I know, because I tried.

The 6.5 Vega components are going for 180 @ thezeb.com
they sound reasonably and will play loud.

Or you have the Kicker Kicker K-Series 02K6.2, which sound sweet as hell for 199 at sounddomain.com (maybe less elsewhere..)..

Or if you wanna save your cash, Phoenix Gold XS160, on sale for 99$ at sounddomain.com
No they are not "cheap speakers" & they are more SQ oriented.

Sorry I couldnt post earlier.. I hope you havent already made any decisions yet.

Old 04-24-2002, 02:13 PM   #16
black95gs-t

"The Excelon components (with pink/purple cone) sound very very good.."
just out of curiosity, as compared to what?

Old 04-24-2002, 02:19 PM   #17
black95gs-t

about the coax, very true, except for the fact that all of those speakers will sound much better running on an external amp, which he currently does not have. like i previously stated, components generally do sound better, but not on the head units internal amplifier. its one of those things, you ruin a ferrari by driving it only 65 mph. but, if you consistantly drive a normal car like a mustang for instance at 65, it will be just fine. same kind of principle.

Old 04-24-2002, 02:59 PM   #18
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Wow guys, thanks for all the info. Now in my mind, I'd like to have the sound of some decent components. I still haven't made up my mind on what to get, so...

The debate seems to be whether I will ruin them playing off of the deck for 3-6 months. I'll be able to get an amp by then, maybe even sooner. I probably won't be listening to it very loud for now. I know black95gs-t says not to do it, but let's hear some other opinions...

Thanks again guys.

Old 04-24-2002, 09:25 PM   #19
Maxvla

hmmm... how bout this bit of logic... if you can ruin them in that amount of time. why not leave them in the boxes til you get your amp. sounds like a plan to me. not instant gratification but hell you get what you want.

accordman... the components you listed... really don't sound that great. i'd rather have a better coax then those components. like i said on my post components start at kappas. most anything under the kappas distort very easily and don't have accurate power handling specs.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:12 PM   #20
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

So do you think that it would ruin them Chris?

OK, while we're on the topic, what are some amps to look at... preferably 4ch... not too much money, but decent quality.

Old 04-24-2002, 11:00 PM   #21
Maxvla

hmm... well i haven't looked into 4ch amps in a loooong time. so i'll check em out.

as far as ruining speakers... i don't think you'd have any probs even if you installed them with the deck powering them even at high volumes. now i wouldnt suggest leaving them in for a year or more playing them loud with just the deck power.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:28 PM   #22
Maxvla

well i have only searched woofersetc with your link thing...
my findings so far...
low end:
http://caraudiozone.woofersetc.com/s...f?item_ID=1490
CrossFire 35x4 RMS, not really enough power but nearly twice your deck and cleaner power.

middle ground: http://caraudiozone.woofersetc.com/s...f?item_ID=1804
Nakamichi 50x4 RMS nice power. very clean. nakamichi stuff is always very nice. and this one's pretty well priced.

upper middle:
http://caraudiozone.woofersetc.com/s...f?item_ID=2198
Alpine 90x4 Gobs of power, not as nice as the nakamichi but more power!

highest echalon: (don't figure you;ll go for this but why not? lol)
http://caraudiozone.woofersetc.com/s...f?item_ID=1874
Precision Power 125x4 RMS Oodles of power, sweeter sound than the opening music to your favorite movie. Caution!! if you do decide to get this, make sure your speakers can handle at least 110W or more.

that'll do for now.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:45 PM   #23
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hey Chris, thanks for taking the time to find that stuff for me. I think I'll get the speakers first, but I might just go for it all at once....

Its funny, woofersetc is being really bad about e-mailing me back lately... they aren't being very friendly. Since I don't get a discount if I buy from them myself, I might just shop elsewhere (even though they have some killer prices).

I probably won't decide on speakers for a week or so since I'm up to my neck in school work *cough* programming (anyone know Java ), but I'll keep all of this info in mind when I do.

Old 04-25-2002, 12:29 AM   #24
Maxvla

best buy there looks to be the nakamichi... enough power and good quality.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:58 AM   #25
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by black95gs-t
"The Excelon components (with pink/purple cone) sound very very good.."
just out of curiosity, as compared to what?

anything in that price range or a little above...

Old 04-25-2002, 09:10 AM   #26
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Trev, No you will not damage the speakers by driving them off your HU. As long as you dont play it to the point(and beyond) of distorsion, everything will be fine! Promise!

You really dont need a 4ch amp. The back speakers are just their to fill your environment with sound.. kinda like backup what the fronts dont cover.. But what you should be hearing/listening to are the fronts.
On a side note, many SQ competitors dont power the rear speakers.

Also you really dont need a Nak, Mac, Helix, Brax, Arc, Zapco...bla bla bla.. Unless your a total SQ fan or competitor, dont waste your money.. Look into Kenwood, Pioneer & Autotek..
Oh by the way Autotek sells for not too expensive, but is a very good product (high quality and reliable).

Old 04-25-2002, 12:35 PM   #27
black95gs-t

i personally don't agree with the excelon comment, but autotek does make some kick ass amps. i really like their mean machine series. very cost effective.

Old 04-30-2002, 02:47 AM   #28
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Guys, I have a chance to get some decent amps used... he's sending me pics. I know they don't put out much, but I'm leaning toward the PPI. These are the models I can get,
> > 1 Precision Power PC250 (PPI)
> >
> > 1 Soundstream reference 200

I can get them for around $70 each, would this be a good deal if they turn out to be in good shape? Thanks guys....

Old 04-30-2002, 02:57 AM   #29
black95gs-t

PPI!!!!!!!!!!!! GET THE PPI!!!!!!!!!! it has the better of the 2 crossovers and i also think the PPI sounds better. when i say it has the better crossover, the PPI crossover has little clicks in it. in the manual it tells you what crossover point each of these clicks represents. this way you know exactly what the X-over is set at. unlike most other crossovers where you just kinda have to set it by ear. PPI PC anything is good stuff. PPI PCX on the other hand, i would have to not like as much.
J

Old 04-30-2002, 03:01 AM   #30
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

It only puts out 50x2 @ 4 ohms, but is that a conservative number? Would this be fine to power a nice set of components?

Old 04-30-2002, 03:28 AM   #31
black95gs-t

yes it is a little conservative. and truth be told, with an amp like that, 35watts is more than the 60 some head units claim. trust me. that is a kickass amp.
J

Old 04-30-2002, 06:44 PM   #32
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Sounds good then. I'll try and get the PPI. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-30-2002, 07:55 PM   #33
Maxvla

great amp trev!! get the ppi. you'll love it.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:16 PM   #34
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

i'm 99.9% sure that the SS200 is a 2 channel amp..

Both are very good brands..

However the newer PPI generation kinda sucks..

And the SS quality is unimaginably wonderful!

Old 04-30-2002, 09:44 PM   #35
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

They are both 2ch amps I thought?!?... the SS only puts out 25x2 @ 4 ohms, and isn't that a little low if I'm going to end up with some decent components?

Old 04-30-2002, 11:29 PM   #36
Maxvla

yep. ppi outta those two.
i'd still like to see at least 60-80W RMS for good components but thats a very good deal on the ppi.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:40 PM   #37
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Alright cool... I think the deal's going down tonight, so hopefully I'll end up with the PPI.

Old 04-30-2002, 11:41 PM   #38
Maxvla

sounds like your making a drug deal!! lol.

make sure your not tailed to the drop.

and count the money before you leave. lol.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:48 PM   #39
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
sounds like your making a drug deal!! lol.

make sure your not tailed to the drop.

and count the money before you leave. lol.

LMAO, that did sound kind of shady

Old 05-01-2002, 01:15 AM   #40
black95gs-t

yes the new PPI line isn't that great. but the new PPI line is the PCX series. he is looking at the PC series. and yes they are both 2 channel amps.
J