::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2002, 07:55 PM   #1
speedklz

Turbo in my 98 EX D16

I have the turbo and i am getting the manifold, but I am wondering how much hp can the stock injectors handle and what else should i ungrade to handle the power? thanks.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:26 PM   #2
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Moving this thread to the Turbo Forum. Better chance of getting your questions answered there...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 09:21 PM   #3
speedklz

Thanks.. for moving it.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:23 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well it's not about how much hp the injectors can handle, it's about how much boost you plan on using. i think you will be fine with the stock injectors as long as you boost up to 7-8psi. btw what size are your injectors ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:05 PM   #5
speedklz

They are the stock injectors, and I will be running an intercooled ihi rbh5 turbo at about 7-10 psi...I just want to be sure im safe.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:02 AM   #6
speedklz

Any more replies....I am about to strap this puppy on and I need quality info so as not to destroy my baby...
Old 08-30-2002, 11:35 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

7psi to be safe then. but injectors arent really that pricey so just upgrade to bigger ones and boost it more. Of course then there could...no...would be the pistons that could go, seize the valves, etc etc etc. Just do the 7psi. I wouldnt go anymore than that until I ran it for a few weeks and everything was still A-OK. Maybe after that boot it by 1 or 3 max.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 02:38 AM   #8
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

You can try running 7psi on stock injectors on a D16 motor, it won't work to well though. The D16's stock injectors barely handle 6psi.

Pick up a set of Venom injectors, a BBK fuel pump and a B&M fuel flow modifier. This is what I did on my D16 and it runs like a champ at 10psi intercooled. Also try out Zex sparkplugs, they are working great on my car so far. You also might want to beef things up a bit. At 10psi I blew my headgasket, fried the piston rings and cracked two of the pistons. Use a Greddy 2mm headgasket, arias forged pistons and total seal gapless rings. I have done all these to my car and it runs great now.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:58 PM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

i'm running 7 psi with stock injectors. what kind of fuel management do u have? minimum i would recommend above 7 psi is a B&M command flo, vortech FMU 12:1, and a 255LPH fuel pump. get some cheap injectors. you can get the DSM-resistance combo injectors which i think is 440cc for less than $150 a set. RC injectors are awesome but expensive. a set of 370cc can cost over $300 easily. make sure you intercool that baby!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 11:58 PM   #10
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

defenately intercool it or you can end up with fried piston rings and cracked pistons like I did.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:52 AM   #11
thermal
Banning Machine

correction: the DSM injectors from a turboed eclipse/laser/talon is 450cc. i pulled out a set from a junkyard that cost me $23.75 and a resistor pack for $3.
stock injectors should be rated 240cc

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 10-24-2002, 09:07 PM   #12
nonovurbizniz

just fyi you should check out the other forums because one of them...(cough cough...honda-tech) has lots of people in the boosted forum that have your exact engine and they have several threads covering not just fuel managment (they used to use check valves and fmu's but now there's a guy selling these things called a scm. that with just dsm 440cc injectors (which only come in the first gen turbo awd models.) is all you need.
but there is another thread with a guy in taiwan who is selling b16 rods modified to fit supra (i think) pistons (which are forged and built for turbo) that you can run 1.3 bar (15-20 lbs) of boost with everything else stock

check it out
Old 10-25-2002, 06:20 PM   #13
VieT916

You're talking about the new SMC with 450 cc DSM injectors. The 440 cc's they're using are from RC Engineering. The SMC is basically a Super Map Controller that gets rid of the MAP CEL (code 03) and allows you to control only your fuel and air ratios at predetermined RPM ranges (there are four, forget what they are, though). It's great for only $90 plus shipping. There's also a thread on H-T about how to wire in the resistors. It's basically just wiring one into each black/green wire going to each fuel injector, or you can hook up a resistor box and be fancy.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:21 PM   #14
thermal
Banning Machine

i've read about the SMC mapping. that is actually a cheaper way to manage fuel under boost. gotta have bigger injectors.........which is really needed to up the boost anyway. in actuality, you can boost 8-10 psi on stock D16 with less than $200. how? here you go:
-DSM 450cc and resistor box= $30 (junkyard)
-SMC fuel management= $100
-Manual Boost controller from www.boostvalve.com= $40

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum