Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2004, 03:41 AM   #1
Daishi

I'm new, need major help

Hi everyone. The names Joe.

Long story short.. well shortened anyway. I own a 1988 Camaro. I am by no means a import basher just cause I drive a chevy.
Anyway, I am in the market for a Honda. I really like the 1992 Civic, Im not sure how long that body style was in production, but I like it. Anywho the reason I want a Honda is because they are sporty, have great gas milage, and still have the ability to go fast.

My Camaro is pushing 400 Horse, and just over 400 lbs torque.
(5.7L 350 SB)
I loveeeeee giving putting my foot down, but i can literally watch the gas gage go down after a few runs. So am I looking for a 1992 style civic, with an engine that will EASILY bomb me around town. I dont want something that has only 60HP cause I just won't like it. How much Horse is good for these cars?

My Camaro is 3200 lbs, and 400hp / 400 trq, feels fast. But how much do those little civics weigh? How much horse does it take to make it fast?? I am NOT a car Newb, I rebuilt my chevy myself. But i literally know hardly ANYTHING about imports.

I am looking to buy a Civic that already has some sort of body kit on it, maybe some rims, and a semi-fast engine. I do want gas milage tho..
Can someone point me in the direction of some reading? or maybe stats on various engines and such. Thanks everyone

Joe

EDIT: Also in the paper a guy has a 1992 Civic in exc cond, says it has a 1.5L in it. I havn't called him yet. But is the 1.5L anygood?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:03 AM   #2
MAXed Out
6th Gear

The years those civics were made are 92-95 and they are around 110 hp. They are nice looking cars but i know ur not going to like it speed wise after getting on that camaro. Ur camaro has a 5.7 in it and the civic has a 1.6 but its a lot lighter. Its a great economy car and it looks sporty. Hopefully ur answers have been answered, Oh yeah and WElcome to hst.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
IALuder

welcome to the site. if you do get a 92-95 civic youll defently either have to boost it or get a bigger motor for it. like max said you wont like the speed it has stock.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
JDMFantasy2k

1.5L=BAD, not many parts available

If i were you, figure out what types of mods you want to do for power. If you just want to do BPU or BPU+ upgrades and leave it at that, then you can just go with a civic with a d-series engine (i think most or all of them are vtec). Or if you want big power you can swap in an engine (in this case, buy the 1.5L civic cheap, find an engine, and switcharoo). Afterwhich, you can leave stock, all motor, or turbo/supercharger/nitrous. Bottom line is it's not going to be close to the camaro. BUT it is possible to make big power and still have descent gas mileage.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

I used to have an 86 camaro with the same engine in it. man that thing hauled ass. but i adventually totalled it and now i have a 95 civic, there is a big difference in speed but theres also a big difference in gas mileage.since i currently have no performance mods done to my car its fairly slow. its the 1.5L 2dr civic dx. I dont consider myself a racer, but i have still beaten a few cars with it. 92-95 civics are good sporty cars and fun to drive but if your looking to race or want to do alot of modifying i would try and get a 96+ vtec. theres alot more parts available. have fun
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Or if u like get one with a lot of mileage at a fairly cheap price do the b18c1(integra gsr) motor in it and then boost it. This way it will haul ass.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:23 PM   #7
Daishi

I was actually thinking of getting the 1992-1995 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe SI (EX US)

or the 1992-1995 Honda Civic 4 Door EX/SI. It has the 1.6L VTEC
Old 05-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
ex_03

B series can cost ya but can also produce,D series little cheaper can also produce, Its all in how much you want to spend? No different than your chevy. Abuilt honda will be lighter and more effeicent on fuel than built V-8, But you get the idea...Oh yea welcome the board...