Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 01:11 PM   #1
Impact23

Clearing headlamps

I found a way to open the headlight without having the hassle of blowdrying the glue and keep on doing it to get the glue to melt to pry. I found that placing the headlight into the oven is a fast and easy way. I did this and it is safe if you follow my directions.

*you need a flathead screw driver, something to cut the glue with, silicon, and foil. Also maybe some reflective sticker

step...
1) take off bumper
2) take out the two headlights
3) warm up oven temp to 200
4) put the foil in and headlight ontop
(MAKE SURE TO TAKE OUT THE BLUBS FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
5) wait till the glue starts to melt
then take out the headlight.
6) start trying to pry open the headlight and cutting out the glue
7) once you get one part open use force to take apart the headlight
8)take out amber reflector or cover it with relective sticker.
9)take off all the old glue and put in new silicon and close up the headlight.
10)put everything back where it should go

P.S. the glue from the headlight cools fast so you may have to place the headlight in the oven to warm it up again so leave the oven on BUT BE CAREFUL. The headlight will not be hot enough to burn you but should only be hot enough to melt the glue but watch your hands do not touch any part of the oven. DO NOT SET TEMP OF THE OVEN OVER 200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the headlight will melt!!!!!!!!!!

Most people probably along with using the reflective tape for clearing out the amber lens (pending on the model) will paint the housing of the lamp to give it that even more custom look. Just be sure to use a high temperature paint first on the bottom layer to avoid cracking or fading. Then use whichever color you like. I used the factory black paint that my car is and it came out nice. You can do this with just about any car too. Here are a couple examples of ones I have done:

S2000 black housed lights.

99-00 SI lights.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...e=0&res =high
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...e=0&re s=high

I also have done Eclipses and Supra Bumper lights with ease as well. I recently just did some on a new 2K1 civic too. Its a snap once you get used to it. Oh yeah.... no fogging like the aftermarket junk out there either.
have fun Kids!!!

Closed Thread