::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Si-R CRX

Chrome

OK so Im not sure I am getting this whole chrome thing. What all do I need and do I have to have someone do anything to my ecu? I have a chipped ecu so thats good but what else??
Old 02-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

.........then you just have to decide what specs you want on it. All they will be doing is burn another chip or your current chip to compensate for your personal specs i.e. VTEC crossover, RPM cut, speed cut, blah blah.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Si-R CRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal
.........then you just have to decide what specs you want on it. All they will be doing is burn another chip or your current chip to compensate for your personal specs i.e. VTEC crossover, RPM cut, speed cut, blah blah.
How do they do it though? Do you send em you ecu? Or do you have to buy the stuff to hook it to your computer? I really know nothing about chrome. It is all new to me.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

You dont have to send the ECU to them if your ECU is already chipped. They will either ask for your old chip to redo the specs or the will give you another chip. Then you will plug this chip into you ECU. I'm not familiar with OBD0 ECU anatomy. I will tell you this tho, if your ECU really is chipped, then this chipped will be the only that is "socketed". All other chip in your ECU should be permanently installed. I say go to homemadeturbo or honda-tech and ask around for the exact location of this "chip".

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-28-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
JDMFantasy2k

yea the engine management forum at HMT kicks ass, but search first cause they hate noobs that post what they think. But basically, when people say their ecu's are chipped, they're really socketed, which means they're capapble of installing and removing a burned chip. The best way to tune your car is have someone hook up a wideband O2 sensor to it, and then load up a basemap on your ecu and see how it runs. Then if the person has a romulator, they plug this data cable into the ecu which temporairly loads a program so you don't have to burn a chip, and then you do another pass to see if the changes have improved anything, and keep repeating the process. Once you're tuned, you burn you final tune onto a chip, plug it in, and done.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:24 AM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Man...all of this makes me happy I bought a stand alone DFI kit.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

Those DFI's are great Steve. I know a couple of Honda guys and a few DSM guys running it
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is yet another subject that people must understand. Rechipping an ECU will not necessarily equate to power gain or inceased torque. As mentioned above, to properly do this for optimum gain, a wideband O2 set-up and dyno is really necessary. At a minimum, a street tune with a wideband. This specific chip controls the A/F ratio, VTEC crossover, RPM cut, speedo cut, etc..... The only time that is beneficial for internet services like this is when a "base map" is needed to ge the car running.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum

Last edited by thermal : 03-01-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
JDMFantasy2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal
Those DFI's are great Steve. I know a couple of Honda guys and a few DSM guys running it
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is yet another subject that people must understand. Rechipping an ECU will not necessarily equate to power gain or inceased torque. As mentioned above, to properly do this for optimum gain, a wideband O2 set-up and dyno is really necessary. At a minimum, a street tune with a wideband. This specific chip controls the A/F ratio, VTEC crossover, RPM cut, speedo cut, etc..... The only time that is beneficial for internet services like this is when a "base map" is needed to ge the car running.

yeah thanks for mentioning all that, i kinda forgot
Old 03-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

iz all good.......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum