.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2002, 12:25 AM   #1
djsambo

Ignition, Starting Car Problems?

I have a 1993 Honda Civic DX, Its been acting up when trying to start. The key is kinda funny, you almost have to push it in and turn it to get it to start. If you do not turn it, when you do turn it on it sounds like a dead battery. Just a click click noise and wont turn over? If you turn the key on and off really fast it will start in a few trys? I have also noticed that it is easier to start after the car has been driven or is warm? I'm kinda lost here, is it the starter? Ignition column? Someone said it could be a solenoid?

Any ideas? I would appreciate the help!
Email me at djsambo@charter.net
or post on here!

Thanks
Old 08-16-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

beats me dude. i really need to hear it or see the car before coming with the final verdict, but most likely it's the ignition at fault

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 12:47 PM   #3
spoogenet

Re: Ignition, Starting Car Problems?

Quote:
Originally posted by djsambo
I have a 1993 Honda Civic DX, Its been acting up when trying to start. The key is kinda funny, you almost have to push it in and turn it to get it to start. If you do not turn it, when you do turn it on it sounds like a dead battery. Just a click click noise and wont turn over? If you turn the key on and off really fast it will start in a few trys? I have also noticed that it is easier to start after the car has been driven or is warm? I'm kinda lost here, is it the starter? Ignition column? Someone said it could be a solenoid?

Any ideas? I would appreciate the help!
Email me at djsambo@charter.net
or post on here!

Thanks

Every car I've driven has requird the key to be pushed in and turned.

Usually the clicking noise you describe is the starter solenoid. Have you actually checked your battery? If you haven't, make sure you get a voltage check and a load check done on it, many dead batteries will produce voltage without the necessary current. Batteries are affected by heat, although I don't know how much car batteries are affected and in what ways.

Could be an ignition problem as well.....but I'm no expert on that so can't help ya out too much.

b
Old 08-16-2002, 06:51 PM   #4
djsambo

Is the Starter Solenoid hard to replace? How expensive? Just curious? Someone else told me they thought it could be that also. I really just don't know where to start troubleshooting! I've checked the battery and its all good.

Thanks
Sam
Old 08-17-2002, 02:08 PM   #5
spoogenet

I have no clue about the starter solenoid. I've replaced the starter before on an old Toyota and it was pretty easy. Can't remember how much the starter was, but it wasn't too expensive, probably less than $100. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that it's not too expensive or difficult.

b