Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
ShEaNy

80 Something Probe GT V.S. 91 Accord

K i dunno what hit me on this one...but im just driving with my cousin going to get a movie...when this probe...looked so old rolls up and just guns it....and slows down right back beside me...im like ok.....hes got an exhaust..thats all i knew....so i just stomp it...were right beside each other...i was pulling for a minute but then he slowly pulls on me and i hear the biggest whining noise ever (turbo im guessing) and he just beat me by like half a car at most... this thing look like a 88 or something...i have no idea..what kind of engine/horse do those things have...it had like a rear hatch like a 92 Teg Gs...if u know what i mean....
Old 02-10-2003, 05:54 PM   #2
honkey2fly

those years come with turbo.....Pretty fast.. My friend has one with an upgraded turbo and bov it's fast.

Old 02-10-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
ShEaNy

ya im actaully thinking THAT guy is prolly surprised i kept with him...heavy ass accord with two minor engine upgrades..lol
Old 02-10-2003, 06:26 PM   #4
ford50forlife
4th Gear

they really are like low 16 cars from the factory (the turbo version) its a joke on fords part

A TURBOCHARGED 2.2L MOTOR DEVELOPING A H22A BEATING 145 HP!!!!! and 190ft lbs of tq

even the 5 spd have trouble going less that 8.0 0-60.

well thats STOCK, modded its anyones game, but aftermarket support isnt the best for those cars

2640lbs with full tank minus me w/ 302cid
check out the crustang and 88 cherokee @
www.cardomain.com/id/ford50forlife
Old 02-10-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
ShEaNy

meh..ill be glad if my car is a low 16 right now with these mods. GO 4 bangers! lol and i dont understand ur 2.2 motor developing sentence...
Old 02-11-2003, 12:33 AM   #6
ShEaNy

anyone know the specs on those cars..i cant find it anywhere.....
Old 02-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #7
get_probed

1st gen probe gt

The 1st gen Probe GT (1989-1992) packed a 2.2L 12v turbocharged 4-cyl with 145hp/190tq. The car weighed 2730 lbs. I'm assuming it WAS in fact a GT cause you said you heard the turbo spool up...

Old 02-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #8
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
anyone know the specs on those cars..i cant find it anywhere.....

lol thats what that sentence meant, the car was a dog, and a sad one at that... turbo and 2.2L should minimum = 200hp not 145

Old 02-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #9
ShEaNy

so it had 200 hp..is what ur saying...wow...
Old 02-11-2003, 05:49 PM   #10
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
so it had 200 hp..is what ur saying...wow...

nope... im saying it SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST a MINIMUM of 200 horsepower from a 2200cc motor WITH forced induction but it doesnt

its a 12 valve 2.2L with 145 horsepower and 190ft lbs of torque

its a dog same motor in turbo mx-6's of late

Old 02-11-2003, 05:51 PM   #11
ShEaNy

christ man...im tired after work lol sorry...i was SOOOo confused...well it beats my car in the torque....i might have a few more ponies...i guess the weight kicks in now...im sure its way less then my honda tank lol
Old 02-13-2003, 03:14 PM   #12
Matrix

Quote:
Originally posted by ford50forlife
they really are like low 16 cars from the factory (the turbo version) its a joke on fords part

A TURBOCHARGED 2.2L MOTOR DEVELOPING A H22A BEATING 145 HP!!!!! and 190ft lbs of tq

even the 5 spd have trouble going less that 8.0 0-60.

well thats STOCK, modded its anyones game, but aftermarket support isnt the best for those cars

Okay, let's sort this out.......

1st gen (88-92) Probe GT's have
2.2L Turbocharged; Engine code: F2T
Made by MAZDA (NOT FORD)
145hp (AT THE WHEELS)
190 lb/ft torque
Boost is at ~7.3 psi stock
Compression is 8.5:1
0-60 is 7.5 sec (Road & Track)

Boost can be raised safely to 12 psi with a cheap manual boost controller without any other mods. To go up to 15 psi, the ECU needs to be reprogrammed, which can be done for about $200.
Fuel modifications usually aren't necessary, as I have seen some go 18-20psi without fuel injector upgrades, except for a high-flow pump.

Several turbo upgrades are available for these cars. The stock turbo maxes out at ~15-16psi, beyond that it is blowing air that is too hot to do any good.

The horsepower measurement was taken at the wheels because for marketing reasons Ford did not want the number too close to the Mustang's.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Old 02-13-2003, 03:49 PM   #13
ford50forlife
4th Gear

nah i think i got enough lol, ive seen more than enough at the track running 16's to know that road and track of yores measurements dont mean shit.. 145whp or not the cars were dogs in stock form, and as of now there are too many beaten and abused ones left to set a benchmark by 15 year old standards lol.

Old 02-23-2003, 03:50 AM   #14
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I always thought the Turbo Probes had some potential. Problem is that most people who bought them had no intentions of modding them. Plus you don't see many these days, and if you do they're kinda hard to tell apart from the N/A Probes except for the psuedo ground effects with "Turbo" molded into the bumper. All in all not bad cars though. I'd like to see one against a mid 90's Gt...those things were quick for a Probe.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
Old 03-02-2003, 08:58 PM   #15
mx6gt91

They are not dogs

I have a 89 Mazda Mx6 turbo (same engine), and they are not dogs. the probes look like dogs, there very ugly.

when i had an intake, cat-back i beat a RSX type-S and beat him by a car. I also have 4WS, so my car is about 275lbs more than the GT Mx6.

anyway, i got my car dynoed with an intake, cat-back, and boost at 10psi. i had 170hp and 235ftlbs at the wheels. nto much hp but loads of tq. so much for you hondas out there.

the only thing that makes the probes dogs is that theyre heavy, and depends on the driver.

im now boosting 15psi, and i got 200hp and 297ftlbs at the wheels. thats with stock fuel pump and injectors.

easily moded for power, just like some Honda/Acura engines.

BTW, here she is

Old 03-02-2003, 09:20 PM   #16
ShEaNy

well....turbo vs N/A engine...i dunno...i think u shoulda woulda and did win it..put a turbo in the RSX it might Rape people...nice car BTW....meh whatever it was he just beat me...doesnt matter to me..dog or not..lol
Old 03-02-2003, 09:26 PM   #17
mx6gt91

Not like im dissing Honda's, my friends got an Accord like yours its an automatic with cat-back and an intake. its pretty fast for a 4door.

plus there are some FAST ASS Honda's out there, with the right mods. when i get over my car im going Honda/Acura all the way.

i love the sound of VTEC

Old 03-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #18
ShEaNy

lol yea..mines a 2 door....ive beaten some cars i woulda expected to been killed by and vise versa though..ah well...GO ACCORD lol
Old 03-04-2003, 04:45 AM   #19
Redman

hey mx6gt its Zookinator from mx6.com!

bout time we get some recognition.. I am sick of some people on these boards who laugh at the 1st gen turbo 6s/probes.. they just narrow minded people who think Mustangs or Honda are god..

As to the Mustang dude who keeps calling our car dogs.. For as much money it takes you to put some sh1t in your car, we can do an engine swap to the FE3, which is a DOHC 2.0l 16v with 170whp stock.. Put a turbo on that and wham @ 12 psi some have recorded whp of 300+ and 400+ torque..

Don't believe me?

www.maxx-motorsports.com

go to street car at the bottom of the side menu.

Old 03-04-2003, 09:43 AM   #20
ShEaNy

man...u have a civic? and u put hondas down?...whatever u want...no one was meaning disrespect to "your" cars there..of course the little car not to mention with a turbo and looks like other shit done.. Probably is going to beat the heavy ass minimal shit done too accord..He was just saying they should have more horse for what they have..2.2L turbo or whatever it is...im pretty sure thats all hes saying....christ.. i lost...he got my recognition..
Old 03-04-2003, 11:09 AM   #21
mx6gt91

The reason why they have so little horse power is cause they have a 2.2 SOHC, and the turbo is very small. the engine is mainly a torque engine. plus the exhaust ports in the engine dont flow worth shit, thats why bigger turbos dont do much for them.

it will increase hp, but mostly in the high rpm range, which the stock turbo puts out after about 4500rpm.

Old 03-04-2003, 11:32 AM   #22
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i know of some turbo mx6 around here that claims 400whp... i dunno anything about it though as far as details. its red or maroon, he raced a friend of a freinds 240sx a few months ago.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:38 AM   #23
get_probed

400whp?? dayum.....is it a first or second gen MX6? The 2.5L V6 in the 2g MX6 LS is a force to be reckoned with when you strap a turbo on...

Old 03-04-2003, 02:00 PM   #24
mx6gt91

Quote:
i know of some turbo mx6 around here that claims 400whp... i dunno anything about it though as far as details. its red or maroon, he raced a friend of a freinds 240sx a few months ago.

Ya that guy is Jay-B do not fu(k with that car. hes the one with the 400+ hp.

its got the FE3 engine which is 2.0 DOHC, but he has a turbo on it. i think his best time is 12 something in the 1/4 mile

Quote:
is it a first or second gen MX6?

its a first gen Mx6

this is the car, besides the huge ass intercooler its a sleeper

This is all its really got

Engine

Stock 2.0 liter FE DOHC 16-valve turbo engine
Custom forged pistons 8.8:1 (to decrease compression ratio)

Fuel Management

SDS Simple Digital System fuel management
850 cc injectors
Walbro 255 intank fuel pump
SX fuel pressure regulator

and boosting 15psi mostly. last i talked to him thats low, he normally boost 20psi.

Jay-b is worshiped the 1st gens
and so is AdamTurbo, this is his car

]

must through the back in too

Old 03-04-2003, 02:37 PM   #25
ford50forlife
4th Gear

EDITED BY MATRIX: BE NICE.

Quote:
bout time we get some recognition.. I am sick of some people on these boards who laugh at the 1st gen turbo 6s/probes.. they just narrow minded people who think Mustangs or Honda are god..

its not because i have a mustang, my mom has owned 3 probes 1st and 2nd gens, yes they are dogs stock so i also speak from experience.

even a geo modded with a t-03 hybrid on a 1.8dohc storm motor can go 11's and ive seen it, but stock they suck penis.

oh and just to be an asshole to get a fe3 motor swap is easy, huh so you like the idea of going through 15+hours of labor for those numbers?

so by the time you take the battery post off, jack the car up, and dissconnect the airinduction system and shifter linkage and fan, i will have installed a k+n ram air induction system and be well into my way jacking up the rear and draining the gear oil and taking the c clips out to take the axles out to get the gears in.

Then you gotta disconnect the clutch cable and disconnect the tranny from the motor and be hard at work disconnecting throttle linkage from the throttle body and sensors galor, and working at getting every bit of the wiring harness out so you can clear the way, not to mention drain coolant a bit from the radiator so when you disconnect the coolant line to the motor you wont have a huge mess.

by that time ive already checked backlash on the 4.10 gears and tightened everything up and am installing the diff cover back on and filling the rear with gear oil.

then whilst you start disconnecting the exhaust on that turbo mess, i will have installed shorty headers on the car, and be hard at work putting the h-pipe on.

Then you can go on and take the motor mount bolts off once you found a place to lift motor from, carefully do just that (making sure you didnt forget something) like the ACCESSORIES but sometimes you can get away with lifting the motor with them on, by the time you swap the accessories and sensors to your new motor, i will finished up the exhaust system and my 12 second car and will have put the mickey thompson 28x10's on the back wheels.

while you have to REVERSE The whole process to get INTO high 13's with a good driver.

BUT then again you could be a b*tch and pay someone to do it for you.

no im not ignorant but i find it funny when someone who doesnt know me comes out and tells me how easy it is to get a whopping 170whp.

in all fairness i havent broke 12's yet but then again i didnt have everything i stated up there, and i dont sugarcoat my runs, i drive 100 miles to the track and onto the staging lanes. but for street tires with NO positraction, and no powershifting, and no track sugarcoating, and a more restrictive setup (too big throttle body, to big intake manifold, and 24 lb injectors hurt the motor) im happy with my subpar 105mph trap speeds with 500 dollars in aftermarket parts..

and btw just so you know a little about the competition (not that its something to worry about)

bob cosby's mustang page go to chronoligy

he and many others have done 14 flat stock and 12's with boltons although i cant produce similiar numbers cause i have tuning issues.

yes ive seen the fe3 motor pulls some wicked numbers but im just turned off because i got to swap the motor to get there, now i wouldnt mind putting that in a fiesta somehow but......

Last edited by ford50forlife : 03-04-2003 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:40 PM   #26
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mx6gt91
The reason why they have so little horse power is cause they have a 2.2 SOHC, and the turbo is very small. the engine is mainly a torque engine. plus the exhaust ports in the engine dont flow worth shit, thats why bigger turbos dont do much for them.

it will increase hp, but mostly in the high rpm range, which the stock turbo puts out after about 4500rpm.

and therefore you gotta change stuff to make it fast thats all im saying, in stock form they are slow as shit.

Old 03-04-2003, 02:42 PM   #27
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by get_probed
400whp?? dayum.....is it a first or second gen MX6? The 2.5L V6 in the 2g MX6 LS is a force to be reckoned with when you strap a turbo on...

yes, its very suprising to because stock they get there ass kicked by civic si's yet they can really shine when that turbo is put on.... street tire with a decent driver can do 13's all day long

Old 03-04-2003, 02:45 PM   #28
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:

Engine

Fuel Management

850 cc injectors

and boosting 15psi mostly. last i talked to him thats low, he normally boost 20psi.

im sure he wouldnt have anything like a custom full exhaust either, or a intake? how does he controll the boost without a boost controller? im sure the stock turbo on that car boosts 20psi easily as well

welcome to the world of ford fanatics, always leaving details out making it seem easy (me included)

Old 03-04-2003, 02:47 PM   #29
Matrix

Quote:
yes, its very suprising to because stock they get there ass kicked by civic si's yet they can really shine when that turbo is put on.... street tire with a decent driver can do 13's all day long

What are you talking about? Do you even know anything? I have beaten Si's and GS-R's left and right. I've also gotten beat by a few. I have never seen one get "their ass kicked" by the other unless the modifications were heavier on one side.

You may think you know your Mustang, but you have much more to learn.

Old 03-04-2003, 02:49 PM   #30
Matrix

Quote:
im sure the stock turbo on that car boosts 20psi easily as well

welcome to the world of ford fanatics, always leaving details out making it seem easy (me included)

The engine is n/a in stock form, thus there is no "stock turbo."

Old 03-04-2003, 02:56 PM   #31
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrix
What are you talking about? Do you even know anything? I have beaten Si's and GS-R's left and right. I've also gotten beat by a few. I have never seen one get "their ass kicked" by the other unless the modifications were heavier on one side.

You may think you know your Mustang, but you have much more to learn.

ah the infamous 2.5L 164hp wonder and 160 WHOPPING v6 TORQUE at 4800 rpms (AND THATS THE LATER MODELS from 94+ WITH A BETTER TQ CURVE) the 93 had 156 piddly tq available to them at an attrociously 4000rpms

that means the h22a is just as torque heavy as this 6 cylinder.

moderator or not stock for stock they are slower in the 1/4 than both those cars with similar drivers. the torque isnt even that great to back up the 2 more cylinders, they are heavier and less powerful, and the 1/4 times are equally as bad.

Last edited by ford50forlife : 03-04-2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:57 PM   #32
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Ford owners fight! woohoo, never get to see these.. *j/k*
Old 03-04-2003, 02:58 PM   #33
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrix
The engine is n/a in stock form, thus there is no "stock turbo."

ah, my fault, assumptions are my downfall and i apologize

but that would mean the mod list grows further on the said car then

Old 03-04-2003, 03:00 PM   #34
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Ford owners fight! woohoo, never get to see these.. *j/k*

stay tuned next week, while we go in depth about why ford owners think there better than everyone else lol thats all i get around here anyway.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:41 PM   #35
mx6gt91

Quote:
im sure he wouldnt have anything like a custom full exhaust either, or a intake?

I hope you were being a smart ass, yes he has a boost controller and a 3in turbo back.

Quote:

When i was stock i beat a RSX Type-S, and the V6's are just about the same in stock form as the turbo 1st gen.

I havent been beat by any Honda/Acrua that i have raced yet, so i dont know what your talking about

Quote:
im sure the stock turbo on that car boosts 20psi easily as well

our stock turbos are about the size of your fist, they top out at about 12-15psi.

Quote:
oh and just to be an asshole to get a fe3 motor swap is easy, huh so you like the idea of going through 15+hours of labor for those numbers?

Are you trying to say that working on your car is easier than changing an engine. we all know that, and just to let you know the FE3 uses the F2T(turbo engine) tranny, it can use the ECU, along with the original mounts and axels. So pretty much nothing has to be replaced for the FE3.

I guess people where right when they say that mustang owners are assholes

Old 03-04-2003, 06:08 PM   #36
ShEaNy

wow....all i know is that i got beat..i dont care....i asked an engine question..and now it just turned mental...calm down people..
Old 03-04-2003, 06:16 PM   #37
mx6gt91

Blame whats-his-face

ford50forlife

Old 03-04-2003, 06:59 PM   #38
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Ya that guy is Jay-B do not fu(k with that car. hes the one with the 400+ hp.

its got the FE3 engine which is 2.0 DOHC, but he has a turbo on it. i think his best time is 12 something in the 1/4 mile

its a first gen Mx6

this is the car, besides the huge ass intercooler its a sleeper

Engine

Fuel Management

850 cc injectors

Jay-b is worshiped the 1st gens

yup that looks like the car. you dont happen to remeber jay's s14 240sx? the blueish-green one with big wide ass volks on it. the ka24de+t that guys car was insane. 30psi well tuned... he layed down way too much power. he would take down vipers like they were nothing.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:16 PM   #39
mx6gt91

he says that the closest race that he was in was a Shelby Cobra.

what i mean close is that they Shelby was catching up to Jay. he takes out Porsches, anything thats in the low 13ish range

i havent asked if hes raced Vipers, but im sure he can do some damage

no i dont remember the 240, ive only known about the mx6.

what happen to your friend that raced Jay though??

Old 03-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #40
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Redman
hey mx6gt its Zookinator from mx6.com!

I'm not really sure what the point of this post was, except maybe to piss of Ford50forlife. If that WAS the point...mission accomplished. And yes, I'm the Mustang owner that actually praised the capabilities of these cars. But Ford50 is right...bone stock they suck. Sure, they're kinda quick but so is an SVT Focus and the SVT handles better. So you better plug your ears if you wanna stop hearing the laughter cuz it ain't going to stop. Is my Mustang "god"? No. But then again I don't see how an inanimate object could take the form of a diety...my car is not anthropomorphic. I also don't appreaciate you making assumptions about my attitude towards cars. I'm definitely a Ford man but I'm a fan of countless other cars. Why else would I slum here (unless, of course, I was a troll)? But I suppose, compared to your Civic, that my car is, in fact, "god". But it's the old, malevolent god...you know...the one that was always pissed and killed for shits and giggles. That's what kind of "god" my car is.

As for the matter of modding the car...any car can be made fast with the right mods. You didn't do yourself any favors by comparing those mods to those of a Mustang. Mod for mod a V8 would absolutely bury a Mazda 6 or a Probe. I know first hand the wonderous miracle of an engine swap and a turbo install. So, for your 300+hp and 400+lb/ft, in what probably took less time and using the same mods (swap and turbo) I've got 657hp and just a bit more torque. I don't have a calculator handy, but my incredible math skills tell me that's more than double the power. Now I'll bet you're saying "but your engine isn't stock". You're right. But I installed a T03/04 Turbonetics hybrid with a 2 core intercooler on a bone stock 5.0L engine in a '92 GT hatchback that now makes around 430hp (engine hp) and close to 500lb/ft. True, that's with tuning set to "kill" but it's quite a bit more impressive than 300+hp. I had that from a cam and intake swap and some head porting before I ever had the new engine or turbo. So who threw money away there. Hmmmm....

Cam...$250 w/ valve springs, seals, and retainers from Comp
Intake...$550 Holley Systemax
Porting...$350 at local shop
Work...Free...did it in my garage
Knowing you saved a shitload over the Mazda kid for the same power...priceless

I also seem a bit confused that you knocked Honda and own a Civic. Are you a self loather? Did you buy the Honda because you subconsciously wanted to punish yourself since you have such distaste for them? Who am I talking to now Sybil?

Now...Ford50forlife...one small request. Please don't ever EVER mention Bob Cosby's name in my presence. Scratch that...don't mention his name period. That man is a disgrace to Ford owners everywhere with his know it all attitude and the way he runs his site like a boot camp. I got sick of his "my way or the highway" bullshit years ago.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
Closed Thread