User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2001, 03:46 PM   #1
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Upgrading an LS

Quote:
Hey, I just read your article "LS/VTEC- Don't Believe the Hype." I'm a newbie when it comes to cars, but your article sure helped me learn what I have (and don't have) under the hood of my 96 Teg SE. I just wanted to ask ya, where is a good place to squeeze some juice outta my LS engine? I heard turbo is good for an LS engine, but would it also be good for a daily driven car like mine? You said aggressive camshafts are a must; does that include on my engine? If so, what would be a good choice?..."

-Name withheld

This all depends. Some people's idea of squeezing some juice is 10 hp to the wheels. For others, it's blowing the doors off a V8. If all you want is a little extra punch, go get an intake. Headers and exhausts won't give you any real power until you make real power- they're more just for show until you get into a high power application.

If a high power application is what you're looking for, I'd go with a turbo for B18A/B. The reason you'll hear a B18A/B is good for turbo is that it has 37cc more displacement than a B18C, cutting turbo lag. I, on the other hand, favor the B18C for turbo applications- stronger internals, better engine geometry. It may take a little longer to spool, but the engine will last longer and rev higher (more power).

There's one big problem with going all motor with a B18A/B- no VTEC. Since the LS doesn't switch grinds like a VTEC, you run the same grind throughout the powerband. This means in order to run aggressive camshafts, you also have to run them at low RPMs- loping. If you still want the ca to be streetable, you could install some slightly more aggressive camshafts such as the JG or Crower. These are only slightly more aggressive than stock. Upside: smooth idle, not too much loss low end from loping. Downside: 5-10 hp, tops, after tuning. Cold air intake, cams, adjustable cam gears. Good for maybe 10-15 hp to the wheels. Throw on an AFR, ported throttle body and intake manifold, you may be at 20-25. This setup has the added advantage of creating nearly no additional stress on your engine (For the record, anytime you increase the output of your engine, it will create additional stress. Some ways just produce less than others.). If you just want a little more juice, that's what I would do.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote