::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Interior Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2001, 10:46 PM   #1
azn_nite_ryder

Has anyone ever done dying to vinyl??

has anyone ever seen or done any dying for the interior??
im just curious cuz maybe that will be easier for me to do the front dash... i've seen the finish product and it looks wicked but i forgot to ask how it was done..
Old 09-10-2001, 11:29 PM   #2
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

I haven't the slightest clue but if you do find out, you should make it a sticky for everyone to see.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 10:39 AM   #3
steif

vinyl

just wanted to say that I have done vinyl and that the easiest way to do it is to buy special vinyl paint available at big paint stores(that way it won't crack and you can get the colour you want), wash the surface with soapy water or alcohol. If you can remove the parts you are painting it's 1000 times easier but if you can't, then make sure you tape and plastic off all the surrounding areas or the overspray will wreck your dash and spray on thin coats or else it will run and look aweful. I did mine in fire red and I had an all black dash and It helped break up the dash making it much better.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:09 PM   #4
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

I think the topic was dying and not spray painting the dash. As far as painting goes, its very easy. Dying on the other hand is different. It will take more time and skill to do a good job.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 12:15 AM   #5
azn_nite_ryder

yea i know about the painting.. but the problem with that is... if something was to ever hit the dash then it'll chip off.... besides that.. it wont be consistent having parts painted and other done in vinyl.... you know wut i mean??
its a good idea but i dont think it will suit my needs here....
you should check out to see what dyed vinyl looks like... its maddd stuff... it actually does look like you redone the whole thing in vinyl..... and yes as 2000pimpinex said, it does take a hell of a lot more time....
Old 10-07-2001, 10:35 PM   #6
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Dying your interior is a great idea. If you look at most super streets and SCC you will be pleasently surprised that most of the custom interiors (white and blue) are dyed (So I have heard). Painting is a good idea as well, but if your serious then dye it man. It costs more but looks a little better. Don't ask me why but it does. I have had my car appraised and they told me that dying werks a little better. You can also consider vinyl covering??? Your choise though. What ever you want to do to your car. It's your car.
Peace

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:04 PM   #7
azn_nite_ryder

well heres the thing... i need to know if i have to strip it all off in order to dye??... but how is dying done??
Old 10-26-2001, 03:56 PM   #8
JRSCgirl

Hi!!!! if you saw my interior you see the panel or with paint and it didnt scratch and we just finish to dye the dash too so maybe you'll see the civic before it goes to storage for the winter.
later Dude
Attached Images
File Type: jpg civic import.jpg (86.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-13-2001, 02:06 AM   #9
DemonicAccord

Painting my plastic was not a big problem, I simply prepped the hard surfaces by sanding, primed w/ KILZ, used plain ol Krylon Hard hat, haven't had a single scratch or peel. Baked all the parts in my own oven. as far as the the softer materials, latexes combined with good latex primers will do fine. Some of the softer acrylics will work too.

Talk to your local PPG rep, or contact them here with specific questions . . . http://www.ppg.com/con_main/con_carauto.htm
Old 11-13-2001, 02:44 AM   #10
azn_nite_ryder

so you think painting the vinyl aint a bad idea huh???
hmmmm
Old 11-13-2001, 03:11 AM   #11
DemonicAccord

not at all, it's all about the elasticity of the paint and primer. there are also a myriad of adhesion promoters available too. It's just that a quality dye job, if thats possible in whatever the given case is, is more $$, tho when done well produces a vastly superior feel and look. but were talkin about the difference of $2300 (for an Accord for example) and $200 for paint/primer/etc can be significant for some more than others. My interior is in flux as we speak, some parts are black, some are still OE grey. I did a few test pieces then waited a few months to see what the result are. I was impressed, but as i said, i also baked the pieces after painting, so its reasonable to think that hardened or tempered the surface/paint to some degree.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:26 AM   #12
azn_nite_ryder

yea cuz im just wondering how it would turn out just for the dash and the top panel running along the doors
Old 11-14-2001, 04:52 PM   #13
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I don't think it would turn out bad at all.
As long as you take your time doing it..be paitent. And make sure to really really clean it good with Scotch brite and soap. Also I heard that some rubbing alcohol to break down all the oil's that are on it werks really good too.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

Old 11-17-2001, 03:12 PM   #14
azn_nite_ryder

yea well this one guy offered to do it for me proffesionally for like 200 to do the whole inside.... i dunno we'll see i guess
Old 11-17-2001, 05:20 PM   #15
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

For the whole inside???
what does that include?
everything plastic or vinyl

Old 11-18-2001, 10:53 PM   #16
azn_nite_ryder

for everything... i pick a 2 colour theme....
the only thing that has to be apolstered are the carpets and the front and rear seats.. oh and the arm rest in the middle....
i might look more inot how it'll lok in the end cuz i might do that
Old 11-19-2001, 08:08 PM   #17
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I would be eating up that deal like a hobo eating an order of baby back ribs. I would not pass that up yo.

Old 11-20-2001, 01:12 PM   #18
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

200 is an AWESOME deal!!! you should jump on that liek white to rice..

JRSCgirl Very nice interior and once agian ride to boot...PHAT!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 01:41 AM   #19
DemonicAccord

the guy who is doing my bodywerk, from the hit, said he'd dye my interior too, lil more'n 200, but I will post when its done, I'm psyched, I'm going ALL black; headliner doors, dash, everything
Old 11-27-2001, 02:06 AM   #20
azn_nite_ryder

well you also have to take into big consideration that this is in Canadian currency.. so if we were to convert.. it'll be like $10 US...
stoopid CDN dollar...0ur currency sucks a$$
Old 11-27-2001, 05:01 AM   #21
DemonicAccord

seriously tho, thats...$120USD right?
Old 11-27-2001, 08:46 AM   #22
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

alls i know is that our dollar is worthless compared to yours. anyway. If any of you read superstreet they had a little section a few months back on interior prices. They were like starting at $800 or somthing like that. I woulda already had my interior done.