::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
super_dave

Engine Question

Ok im 17 and i dont really know anything about engines. Im looking into buying a 1989 Nissan Skyline but it says HCR32 typeM RB20 exchanged RB26 reconstruction 2700cc. i have no clue what this means i know that he changed the engines but whats the difference of the 2 types and do you think it would be a good idea for me to buy it?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
super_dave

ill tell you a bit about the skyline. its in really good running condition. it would be imported from japan the price for the car is 2200$ it has no rust has a bodykit and nice rims on it. but i dont know what the RB26 engine is... can someone please help me with this?
Old 08-20-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
AzCivic

where do you live?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #4
JDMFantasy2k

ok well i know a lot about skylines so here it goes.

First, you said it's going to be imported?? As far as i know, leaglizing any skyline for use on US roads is not an easy task. Many things have to be changed (windows, emissions hardware, guages etc.)

Secondly, one of the only companies that does this is Motorex. And it doesn't come cheap.

Third is insurance, you're going to have to find a company that will cover you, and i'm sure they'll probably list it as some sort of exotic or a miscellaneous category, and being 17, and the skyline being a sports car, you're gonna get whacked.

Fourth, you're spoutin off engine codes. Basically the beast of the skyline is the RB26dett. That engine was found in the R32 R33 and R34 GT-R skyline. 1989 i believe is a R32 skyline, however from your description, i'm positive it's not a GT-R and is more likely a GTS (i think) or similar (hence it's not the balls to the wall, twin turbo, 2.6L engine, supercar)

BUT, you also said that they replaced it with a bored RB26. Basically if they did bore it out, and it still has its factory turbos (or similar) and they threw it in that car (and it's in good shape) then we're talking domestic killer. Basically it'll rip.

However, again the insurance issue comes up. If you tell them you want to insure a GTS they probably wouldn't have a hard time with it. But if you told them (which you will have to) that it has a bored RB26 TT motor in it, they'll probably shit their pants and you're going to pay tons of insurance on it.

Oh another thing i just thought of is that taxes/tariffs to import it. I'm not too sure on that stuff there's a lot of legalaties on importing japanese cars.

Also won't have a US-style VIN number, that could cause more problems....

So basically, although it would be sick, and original. It just doesn't sound like much of a reality or very pratical to me. I'm not trying to kill your dream i'm just trying to inform you of everything to consider. And if you still want it that badly, then research and do it! good luck
Old 08-20-2004, 11:09 PM   #5
super_dave

thank you very much for that info it helps alot but i was wondering would you know if it is anydifference for canada? like would i have to go though all that legalization first? im a canadian...
Old 08-20-2004, 11:10 PM   #6
super_dave

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
where do you live?

Ontario Canada
Old 08-21-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by super_dave
Ontario Canada

are your parents rich? if not you probably wont be getting one.
canada sucks just as bad as the US (if not worse) when it comes to trying to get a skyline.

there's ways to get around alot of things but they all make it where you cant drive the car legally on the street.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:23 AM   #8
super_dave

alrite thanx guys... do you know where i could find out what legalizing i would need to do to my car?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #9
JDMFantasy2k

well first of all, visit Motorex

or you could also give them a call 310-523-2233

basically from what i've heard, they're the best, and they have imported a lot of skylines. well good luck
Old 08-21-2004, 11:31 AM   #10
super_dave

thanx for the info i think from what i heard i cant afford the skyline but o well its nice to dream...
Old 08-21-2004, 01:30 PM   #11
super_dave

could someone explane to me what 2700cc's means though?
Old 08-21-2004, 07:38 PM   #12
JDMFantasy2k

that's the displacement of the motor (basically it's metric for fluid measure where 2700cc's= 2.7 liters). Where the displacement is the volume of all of the combustion chambers combined. I'm sure you've seen tv commercials advertising cars with something like " a 3 liter v6 engine" or the like.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:49 AM   #13
super_dave

ok thanx
Old 08-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #14
ICUDOUCME

Another place to try is a website that I use to belong to called sr20detforum.com these guys/gals know just about everything about the 240 and the skylines. They will be able to tell you how you would go about getting the car insured as well as what you would have to do to make it legal in Canada. I do know that a while ago there was a guy on that forum that was trying to buy a few skylines and was going to import them through Canada because there were tons more loop holes in the Canadian law than in the US law. So try there. And as JDMFantasy2k said if you can get this and make it legal. With that motor and that car you will blow everyone away in your area. FYI though they don't call them super cars for no reason at all.

Chris
Old 08-23-2004, 07:18 PM   #15
super_dave

alrite ill try that thanx alot
Old 08-24-2004, 11:02 AM   #16
super_dave

hey ya i tryed that site and it didnt work....
Old 08-24-2004, 03:24 PM   #17
super_dave

HAHAHA YA!! thanx for your help guys but... you were wrong!
if the car is made befor august of 89 then i dont have to do a thing to it!!! ya i like the good news... now i gotta see if that skyline is made befor august 1989... and i found out it would be about 6000$ a year for insurance... i could afford that..
Old 08-24-2004, 05:16 PM   #18
ICUDOUCME

You can afford 6,000 dollars a year for insurance. Well in that case i have a 6,000 dollar a year school bill want to pay for that, you can even use it as a tax right off. Also sorry about that site they have apparently disbanded. This is another one that I was a member of and I know it works cause I just visited the site. http://www.nissanforums.com/
Old 08-24-2004, 05:30 PM   #19
super_dave

thanx... and i can bearly afford 6000 a year... it might be a little cheaper but i think its going to be close to that... i think im going to get about 7000 a year... so i cant really afford it...
Old 08-27-2004, 12:11 PM   #20
ICUDOUCME

So out of shear curiosity if you can't really afford it why do it. You leave yourself no real room for problems with the car and are any room to do other things that you are wanting to do. But hey good luck with whatever you do. And a word to the wise be careful in that car, I have drove a Nissan 240 with the RB26DETT in the car (and yes folks it can be done with modifactions) and It was a freaking monster. Just my .02

Chris
Old 08-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #21
super_dave

thanx man.. i donno what i want to do now... im still looking. maybe i can find a better insurance company or something..