::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
WildChild

Question about D16y8 block?

Hello, im new to this board and the honda scene. But i have a question about my civic ex. I bought a Haynes civic manual. I was comparing the engine numbers in the book to mine which is a d16y8 block. The book says that it is a VTEC. No where on the valve cover of my car does it say vtec. Is my car a vtec or what, thats my question?
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

in 96 honda didnt put vtec on the y8 valve cover
yes you still have vtec

edit**here I found this for you

Look for that even if youre concerned...plus you can show it off and be super cool in front of your buddies "Check out the vtec solenoid...awesome eh?"

Welcome to hst and honda-ing
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
sohc_vtec 2NR

yup pdiggs got you covered....

i'm a wee bit curious....in terms of 1/4 times how much faster are the 96-00 EX compared to the 96-00 DX/LX/HX if the cars are manual?
Old 01-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #4
Fatal070

i had a 99 manual ex coupe got a 16.3 out of it with an Apexi Catback and AEM INtake start time of .5'2 something like that it was a year ago... not bad though i also got 16.6 and my first run i got a 16.8
Old 01-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
sohc_vtec 2NR

personally i could only muster 16.7 @ 83 mph for my best...this is with aem short ram, greddy evo, ebay shifter...my 60' were horrible and i think one of the wheel was not balanced... since i hit a curb a while before i went to the tracks :o
Old 01-29-2004, 10:59 AM   #6
WildChild

thanx guys. you were right pdiggitydogg, there is a selenoid there and i do have a vtec then. this is great, its a good starting point for a newbie. i had no idea what i had when i bought the car. well thanks for the quick replys. well i will be posting more soon as i get my taxes back and i will have so money to spend. i probally am going to get a new intake, throttle body, and manifold
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
4drmadness

w/ my 93 sedan 1.5 non-vtec I ran a 16.4 @ 84.77....that was I/H/E short shifter...
you have a good base to start w/ man..those mods you plan on getting will help the ride breath a bit..
Old 01-29-2004, 01:53 PM   #8
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by WildChild
thanx guys. you were right pdiggitydogg, there is a selenoid there and i do have a vtec then. this is great, its a good starting point for a newbie. i had no idea what i had when i bought the car. well thanks for the quick replys. well i will be posting more soon as i get my taxes back and i will have so money to spend. i probally am going to get a new intake, throttle body, and manifold

if you are looking to drag race your car then the mods you have listed are silly.. they will not make that much of a differance... how much do you expect to put out for those 3 mods? a good nitrous setup can be found for $500 that can easily ad 50 hp to a bone stock car..
Old 01-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #9
pdiggitydogg

The inake manifold is about as good as it gets as far as oem sohc goes...I wouldnt change it.

TB is pointless because honda makes the size is about right per application...gains would be very minimal (even when combined with the intake mani)

Inake...alright thats pretty standard...I'll let it slide

If I were you, Id take that money and just set it aside for turbo a little later down the road...thats where the power is. Sure there's N2O....but my opinion is ''nah'' on that.

The standard IHE is going to give you nothing but the feeling of wasted money on sohc in my opinion... Even those things with new intake mani and tb are still gonna leave you wanting a hell of a lot more. For real power from the sohc you need either boost, N2O, or a build...hell build and boost/N2O.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:30 PM   #10
AzCivic

boost that b!^@#
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

bost is the answer.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #12
cashizslick

Allow me to speak for the dark side. Swap the motor and turn ur car into an animal and STILL have a completely stock motor to work with.

Just think, all those mods that you could do to your stock motor would be SSSOOOOO much more effective on a B16 or B18 . . . .
Old 01-29-2004, 08:53 PM   #13
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

yes. i mean seriously, its nice to work a couple days and have a stock motor and actually tell you have vtec. completely stock, even a b16 will pin you back into your seat each time you shift.

maximum cream.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:17 PM   #14
AzCivic

waste money that you could spend on boost and swap

sorry pdigg
Old 01-29-2004, 09:19 PM   #15
cashizslick

or boost the swaped motor.

sorry pdigg
Old 01-29-2004, 09:23 PM   #16
AzCivic

oh god
Old 01-29-2004, 09:26 PM   #17
cashizslick

Hey, mod for mod a better motor will see better numbers.

If he wants the most reliablility and power out of his car, then well, a swap is the way to go.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:27 PM   #18
pdiggitydogg

alright.....enough you two
damn, sometimes you two are as bad as children.

I might just have to boost the damn D to even the playing field...
Old 01-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #19
pdiggitydogg

Hey did you guys all notice that all your arguing posts have been deleted? Good.
Im calling rank

Any more of this almost weekly d vs b shit and I'll lose it...seriously. At times like this I wish we had points to dock like h-t...youd all get docked 10% for each post you make about it....maybe I'll just make my own tally......

KNOCK IT THE HELL OFF

Now, Im not going to close the thread because there is still some info that could be tossed out, 1/4mile times were asked, etc.
Do that.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:55 PM   #20
cashizslick

WTF? where did the posts go
Old 01-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #21
pdiggitydogg

^^
Old 01-29-2004, 09:58 PM   #22
cashizslick

that wasnt there before - srry
Old 01-30-2004, 08:55 AM   #23
oc civic

hmmm

[ot] when i first used to post here a LONG time ago.. there was a decent amount of posts.. and ive wondered over time why they have decreased so drasticly.. and i think i just figured it out...

to the mods:
i will NEVER tell you how to run your site... but every other thread i see has "i deleted your arguuing posts" or "ban warning" or "knock it off" you guys/guy need to lighten up.. ITS JUST A MESSAGE BOARD.. and i think that the militant ruling is probably scaring people away... arguing d vs b is a classic honda argument.. similar to ford vs chevy or even big block vs small block... and although to you it may seem to be petty arguing it MAY help someone deside on a swap or not... i think that you should let up on the modding... before EVERYONE is gone..

please don't move or delete this... [/ot]
Old 01-30-2004, 09:09 AM   #24
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

i tip my hat to you OC.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:30 AM   #25
cashizslick

Straight up, its not like there is much else going on here either.

I also tip my hat to OC
Old 01-30-2004, 11:44 AM   #26
oc civic

i just call it how i see it...
Old 01-30-2004, 12:37 PM   #27
pdiggitydogg

you know its one thing if its a different topic...but its always the same d vs b crap....if people need opinions or whatever on whether to swap they can ask, get a few opinions (not from arguments) and they can search...we all know its been discussed a hundred times before...

No matter how often I ask nicely for it to stop, it continues. And yes, I finally lost it and got pissed off.

I would never ban anyone for crap like that, dont get the wrong idea. If I ever say "ban warning" its just for fun...unless you get a pm saying it because of repeated problems on the boards.
Everyone has their limits...mine was reached yesterday. Instead of closing a thread I chose to delete all the non-topic, useless argumenative, reiterated 'this engine is better than that one' bs.

You know, I try to make sure that Im one of the regular users, not edit this or that, close things down for no reason, etc. But there are times where I feel it is necessary, so I do it.

Yesterday, I will agree I was short....my reasoning is that I was very stressed out from school. If you feel that its too abrupt then I apologize. But come on...it doesnt need to be discussed as much as it is and if someone asks you to knock it off, especially a mod, then that really should be respected. Maybe Im asking too much?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:54 PM   #28
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
you know its one thing if its a different topic...but its always the same d vs b crap....if people need opinions or whatever on whether to swap they can ask, get a few opinions (not from arguments) and they can search...we all know its been discussed a hundred times before...

No matter how often I ask nicely for it to stop, it continues. And yes, I finally lost it and got pissed off.

I would never ban anyone for crap like that, dont get the wrong idea. If I ever say "ban warning" its just for fun...unless you get a pm saying it because of repeated problems on the boards.
Everyone has their limits...mine was reached yesterday. Instead of closing a thread I chose to delete all the non-topic, useless argumenative, reiterated 'this engine is better than that one' bs.

You know, I try to make sure that Im one of the regular users, not edit this or that, close things down for no reason, etc. But there are times where I feel it is necessary, so I do it.

Yesterday, I will agree I was short....my reasoning is that I was very stressed out from school. If you feel that its too abrupt then I apologize. But come on...it doesnt need to be discussed as much as it is and if someone asks you to knock it off, especially a mod, then that really should be respected. Maybe Im asking too much?

well nothing personal at all.. i just have only been back on this site for a little bit now and have seen numerous warnings.. maybe i just came at a bad time? i dunno if everyone knows you are "kidding" now i didn't read what was written in this thread but for the most part you will ALWAYS have swap vs not swap.... turbo vs juice type arguments.. ex. whenever i say juice you say no.. lol which is fine.. thats the whole premise behind a message board... is to bs and chat and exchange ideas.. my current setup is based off of something i read on h-t years ago.. people were arguing about b16's vs turbo vs nitrous in eks... and for me i went nitrous.. because a b16 in my car would make it just SI fast.. and im already past that.. i think people forget alot about the car its going in.. thats a HUGE factor.. a b16a2 in a 92 hatch is a LOT differant than a b16a2 in a 98 ex.. also the starting motor is a huge factor.. if its a low milage y8... then it may really be worth boosting or spraying.. if its a high milage y7 then swapping is logically the first step.. i think that people dont take that into account EVER when debating the issue.. this person has an ex.. so depending on the current shape of his motor he can go much faster with a sub $2k turbo, or $500 nitrous kit than he can with an over $2k b16... so i say let the debating continue.. just curb it to be more civil and dont threaten to ban people.. lol

after all debating and differant opinions are what keep boards alive
Old 01-30-2004, 01:05 PM   #29
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

i agree.

the whole reason im pissed off is because i spend two weeks swapping a motor by MYSELF with minimal help. Between work and school and this and that. I was without a car for a month and drivign a POS truck that cant idle. I put blood, sweat and tears into that motor. I took it out for a spin and was impressed. So what would anyone do ? get on Hondastyle and tell about it. first thing i see is Az giving me hell. Something to the effect of

'I WISHI WAS THAT COOL AWEOSME MAN I CAN PAY 3000 DOLALRS FOR A PIECE OF SHIT'

before that, i had utmost respect for Az, but he just jumps in and reams me because he happens to take a different path. i woulda kept my D. I planned on turboing it until it died. I mean, im not really into putting boost on a 250,000 mile motor that leaks oil, coolant, and smokes, over heats, and has a slippery ass clutch. Its not my fault teh previous owner ragged the hell out of it. But the cost of a minimal mileage D and Boost would be just a notch under the cost of a B. I even started a truce thread that got shot down. its not like im playing devils advocate, but you dont make people feel like ass after they spend money, time, and give up a lot to do something with their car that is widely accepted and very reasonable just because you have different circumstances.

also, i think ive done a damn good job turning a riced out civic into a regular clean, functional one.

now burn my soap box.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #30
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
i say let the debating continue.. just curb it to be more civil and dont threaten to ban people.. lol

after all debating and differant opinions are what keep boards alive

Yep - and MAYBE this is why ours is next to dead.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:24 PM   #31
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaved &/or Laid

'I WISHI WAS THAT COOL AWEOSME MAN I CAN PAY 3000 DOLALRS FOR A PIECE OF SHIT'

umm please show me where i told you anything like this.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:32 PM   #32
pdiggitydogg

ok...I made the official "D vs B" thread......
read it, follow it, and we'll all be happy, Im sure
Old 01-30-2004, 02:11 PM   #33
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

okay, ill just look through every post youve ever made ( i saved them on my computer)
Old 01-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #34
AzCivic

well dont say that i've said something without proof.