::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2003, 12:17 AM   #1
CrazyFirstGen

New to civics

Hey everyone. Well, im am a complete newbie to the Civic scene. My first car was a 1982 civic 4 door hatchback and i now have baughten a similar car. I am just finishing my 1984 RX7 with a V8 conversion and now i want to do a swap(honda engine of course) into my lil 82'. Now i was thinking like maybe a prelude engine out of a 93+...what are your thoughts?
Keep in mind, until today, i didnt even know that there were so many different model engines out there. B16a2, d16...blah blah blah. I need this engine to swap into my little car fairly easy. I dont want to hack it up and put like 10k into it. I just want that old tired carbed engine out of there and some new tech in its place.
So, what engines would make for the easier swap? can i put a 93+ prelude engine in there? I had a friend with a prelude that was putting out like 225hp with very minor mods. that would make one quick camaro eater out of my little 82.

Anyway, Take care guys.
Tom
Old 10-25-2003, 12:26 AM   #2
cashizslick

Re: New to civics

Well, i think a prelude motor might be a little much for your car, since it is real heavy and the 82 civic (or any civic) is not properly designed in the front end to handle a prelude motor - i.e. to heavy.

The easiest swaps to find are B series honda motors. B18A and B18B come from Integra ls/rs/gs modles, and have 140 hp and are non-vtec motors - all the rest of the ones im bout to list are VTEC motors. The B16A comes from a honda civic Del Sol VTEC and has 160 horsepower - this same motor can also be found in the 99-00 Civic SI (or overseas like mine). The B18C1 comes from an integra GSR, and has 170 horsepower. The B18C5 is the pride and joy of all honda motors, it is a built version of the B18C1 straight from the factory and has 195 horsepower.
**no matter what anybody tells you, these are the easiest honda motors to find, and the ones with the most aftermarked accessories.**

The best thing about hondas is that all the heads and blocks are interchangable with these motors - so you can take a type R head and put it on a B18a or B18b block to make some serious power.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:38 AM   #3
CrazyFirstGen

Awesome information. I really appreciate it.
Now its time to find a donor. I was thinking that th prelude engine would be a bit to heavy. Still, 170hp in a 1800 pound car is gonna be a pretty friggen fast car.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:55 AM   #4
cashizslick

let us know how it goes
Old 10-25-2003, 11:31 PM   #5
CrazyFirstGen

I will
Hopefully i get it done before this time next year. I have another project going right now so i will have to go back and forth till both are done or just put the 82 civic on the back burner and then get at it with my full attention.

Man do i love building stuff. I dont think there is anything that is more satisfying than knowing that you took a car from nothing to a gem. Oh ya, my other project is my 92 mustang notchback. Yes, a mustang...plz dont flame me about it because i love ALL cars, not just imports.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
slowEJ6

ZC swap.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 12:13 AM   #7
CrazyFirstGen

what is "ZC"?
Sorry, im real new to honda's
Old 10-26-2003, 06:23 AM   #8
98dx
Parked

CrazyFirstGen:A friend of mine is selling his 88 mustang 302 5spd if ur looking for one.Send me a email at Civic0398@aol.com
and let me.....
98dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:36 AM   #9
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyFirstGen
what is "ZC"?
Sorry, im real new to honda's

It is a DOHC 130 hp motor. A very rare find, its a good motor, but since it is uncommon you might have trouble finding parts that will fit it in your chassi - besides, its underpowered when compared to the wealth of Bseries motors which are more redily available.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:36 AM   #10
IALuder

my opinion buy a B series. sence its an 82, i would strongly recommand then B16a1 or b16a2. that will make you one hell of a sleeper.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:03 PM   #11
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by SFKing
my opinion buy a B series. sence its an 82, i would strongly recommand then B16a1 or b16a2. that will make you one hell of a sleeper.

Any Bseries motow will make his car a sleeper

BTW, you are probably going to need one with a cable transmission.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:23 PM   #12
Shot 2 Hel

all the swaps that i have heard about with the H22 (prelde motor) the motor had too much torque for the front end and the tires would just spin, plus its a ***** to fit in right
Old 10-26-2003, 08:25 PM   #13
cashizslick

ya - very true.

its not that too much torque is a bad thing - but the same car (82 civic) with a b-series motor putting out the lude's figures would perform mutch better.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:32 PM   #14
sohc_vtec 2NR

is it even possible to swap in new motors in that old chassis?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:46 PM   #15
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

yeah it is possible
just more work with wiring and more parts are needed
(just like putting on an sir2 into then ek chassis)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:55 PM   #16
CrazyFirstGen

Yeah, i have a whole lot of custom fabrication ahead of me. If i can get the cash together i am going to go with the J-spec Integra type-r(B18C5). Chances are, i wont have that cash flow and im gonna go with a j-spec civic engine(B16a or B16B).
Thanks for all your help guys. So, anyone know any good sites that have good info for engine swaps?? it doesnt have to be for my particular swap, just honda engine swaps. Thanks again guys.

Tom
Old 10-26-2003, 10:26 PM   #17
IALuder

hasports is very good.

Old 10-26-2003, 11:10 PM   #18
CrazyFirstGen

Ok, i have decided to go with a B16B
Is there any spacific year i should go for or stay away from? By that i mean...is there a year that is weaker/stronger than the others?? I want to bore it out a bit too, is there a year with thicker walls?

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-27-2003, 08:38 AM   #19
IALuder

i would go with a B16a2 or 92-95 civic. theirs 3 people on here that post freguently that have a B16a2. so wait for them to post.

Old 10-27-2003, 12:41 PM   #20
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by SFKing
i would go with a B16a2 or 92-95 civic. theirs 3 people on here that post freguently that have a B16a2. so wait for them to post.

Dont get a US motor - since the year car you are using is not impacted by emmisions, get the JDM version and to whatever you want to it since u never have to get smogged.

Also - JDM motors do not have Suffixes at the end - so if you are ever wondering if a motor is us then you can tell.
My B16 is a JDM Sir II motor and the block code is "B16A" where a similar us motor is labled B16A3.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:40 AM   #21
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

heh. Theres three ?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:44 AM   #22
IALuder

i sure thought there is.

Old 10-28-2003, 04:18 PM   #23
nonovurbizniz

I wouldn't recomend swapping in a 1.6 B... I'd take a b18a/b over a b16a/b ANY DAY... it'll have WAY more off the line power and with a turbo down the road it would MORE than blow away a b16 and it's vtec...

Try to get prices on b18c1's whether it's us or jdm...

Also I'd stay away from jdm motors... Sure lots of people get them and they're fine but there are LOTS of little issues and on top of it they (jdm motors) have generally been sitting (generally outside) for a LOT longer than a motor/tranny you get from a local junkyard... also if you do run into problems the shipping back and forth can become SERIOUS money... sometimes so much it's not even worth it to return the engine to get another...

In general though I can't imagine what would motivate someone to buy a different engine for 2k+ and not even up the displacement at all... you could through nitrous on whatever motor you have now and make more power than the b16...

If honda provided it as an engine for your chassis... it ain't powerful enough...

Hell aren't the b16b's more expensive than the gsr engine's anyway???

I'd definately recomend saving up a little bit more now to end up with a better platform... that's the whole point of a swap anyway right?
Old 10-28-2003, 09:35 PM   #24
CrazyFirstGen

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
I wouldn't recomend swapping in a 1.6 B... I'd take a b18a/b over a b16a/b ANY DAY... it'll have WAY more off the line power and with a turbo down the road it would MORE than blow away a b16 and it's vtec...

Try to get prices on b18c1's whether it's us or jdm...

Also I'd stay away from jdm motors... Sure lots of people get them and they're fine but there are LOTS of little issues and on top of it they (jdm motors) have generally been sitting (generally outside) for a LOT longer than a motor/tranny you get from a local junkyard... also if you do run into problems the shipping back and forth can become SERIOUS money... sometimes so much it's not even worth it to return the engine to get another...

In general though I can't imagine what would motivate someone to buy a different engine for 2k+ and not even up the displacement at all... you could through nitrous on whatever motor you have now and make more power than the b16...

If honda provided it as an engine for your chassis... it ain't powerful enough...

Hell aren't the b16b's more expensive than the gsr engine's anyway???

I'd definately recomend saving up a little bit more now to end up with a better platform... that's the whole point of a swap anyway right?

The engine displacemnt on a 1982 honda civic is 1300cc or 1.3L, so i would be upping the displacement by 300cc's or .3L. The reason i am going to use the B16B is that the b18c is a bit taller and i dont think it would fit under the hood without adding some cheesy hood scoupe and i HATE that kind of stuff.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:55 PM   #25
pdiggitydogg

i really think shelling out for a ctr motor is pointless...only for the die-hard jdm civic fanatics (and if you are one, you are one)

I say:
get a b16a1/2, some better valvetrain componants (including ctr intake cam), ctr pistons and youre set with a high comp motor for a decent price
Old 10-29-2003, 02:34 PM   #26
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
i really think shelling out for a ctr motor is pointless...only for the die-hard jdm civic fanatics (and if you are one, you are one)

I say:
get a b16a1/2, some better valvetrain componants (including ctr intake cam), ctr pistons and youre set with a high comp motor for a decent price

Truth to B16A
Old 10-29-2003, 03:17 PM   #27
CrazyFirstGen

what is ctr??
Old 10-29-2003, 03:27 PM   #28
cashizslick

CTR = Civic Type R

ITR = Integra Type R

GSR = you should know this one (acura integra with/b18c1)

Si = you should know this one too (civc with a b16a2)
Old 10-29-2003, 03:28 PM   #29
pdiggitydogg

speaking of ctr...i wonder where iRACEmyCTR went to? He'd be defending his dx type r...
Old 10-29-2003, 03:38 PM   #30
CrazyFirstGen

lol, sadly, i didnt even know the Si and GSR.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:50 PM   #31
pdiggitydogg

si in 95 generation was the same motor as the ex (d16z6 sohc), but in a hatchback
si in the 00 generation (USDM) was the b16a2 in a coupe

gsr was the b18c(1) integra

here...go learn

if you want more than just engines, that site has all ecu's, specs, weights, etc...all kinds of great info for the aspiring honda driver
Old 10-29-2003, 04:29 PM   #32
CrazyFirstGen

Awesome. I have been looking for a site like that. Thanks alot man.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:10 PM   #33
pdiggitydogg

your welcome
its my job
Old 10-29-2003, 11:13 PM   #34
cashizslick

Basically, the best civic you can buy over here is the 99-00 si, and the best integra you can buy is the 97-98,(yes, there was no type ARGH in 99) 00 - 01 integra type R (preceded by the GSR).

Just for thought - the first ITR had no ac, no powersteering, and no sunroof and ONLY came in White. It skipped a year of production in 99, and when it was re-introduced in 00, it had a standard AC, and came only in Black and Hotbox Yellow (hotbox yellow is nasty!).
Old 10-30-2003, 07:08 PM   #35
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

i likethe white one.