::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2002, 12:07 PM   #1
a1HoNDa

Intake....

Need some help, on my friend's 1993 Honda Civic, which intake is best for performance. Should he go with the Short Ram Intake or the Cold Air Intake based on which will create the greatest HP increase. Any help is appreciated
Old 12-09-2002, 01:22 PM   #2
a96710

Cold air intake is better and will create more hp. I keep hearin AEM has the best results for CAI
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:12 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

CAI hands down - AEM is the way to go.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

be sure to get a bypass valve if youre goin cai, dont want to hydrolock
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:58 PM   #5
nonovurbizniz

the bypass valve is a waste of time unless you have to drive through a mote to get out of your driveway.

as far as brands ya aem is supposedly the shiot... I have an Iceman and it can be either short or long so.... you got's options

I haven't taken the extension off of mine in months and months and months... I've driven through 8-10 inches of standing water with NO problem what so ever.

Chances are if your at low throttle even if you do submerge the entire intake in water the car will probobly stall before it can suck in any water.

Also a friend of mine with holes drilled in his intake Actually drove through the "too deep" puddle and he just shut it off got it towed and the shop pulled the plugs and cranked it. It spat water they said at least a cup or two. and his car still runs great.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:10 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the bpv is not that great for performance but i gott trapped on the higway with water up to my headlights. i had the stock intake then and nothing happened to the car.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:49 PM   #7
oc civic

i prefer short ram... works great for me
Old 12-09-2002, 09:26 PM   #8
iRACEmyCTR

on what im guessing is a sohc civic motor the difference between gains from short ram and cai is at most 2hp. the sohc ex motor doesnt flow enough air to make that big of a difference. the cai will sound much cooler but play it safe and get the bypass.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:38 PM   #9
alpine3069

i just have to say ICEMAN. i love mine. but they all work the same
Old 12-10-2002, 09:20 PM   #10
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by iRACEmyCTR
on what im guessing is a sohc civic motor the difference between gains from short ram and cai is at most 2hp. the sohc ex motor doesnt flow enough air to make that big of a difference. the cai will sound much cooler but play it safe and get the bypass.

NO WAY

The difference between the short ram and CAI on my ICEMAN is NIGHT AND DAY I can beat friends of mine with it that I loose to EVERY time It's off. To the point that I would not race or even mess around with it off. (I used to be very concerned about getting it wet. I was dumb).

Anyway just want to clear that up. Mine a SOHC and not only does it sound better with the CAI but the difference is HUGE bigger than the difference between stock and the short ram which was a big dif too.

It is vtec so it may be different on the non-vtecs
nonovurbizniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 09:24 PM   #11
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
NO WAY

The difference between the short ram and CAI on my ICEMAN is NIGHT AND DAY I can beat friends of mine with it that I loose to EVERY time It's off. To the point that I would not race or even mess around with it off. (I used to be very concerned about getting it wet. I was dumb).

Anyway just want to clear that up. Mine a SOHC and not only does it sound better with the CAI but the difference is HUGE bigger than the difference between stock and the short ram which was a big dif too.

It is vtec so it may be different on the non-vtecs

Are you sure about this? We're talking around 5-6hp to the wheels with the CAI, you maybe lose 1-3hp with the short ram setup. How could you feel that? And how could that make you win or lose races?

Old 12-11-2002, 09:49 AM   #12
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Are you sure about this? We're talking around 5-6hp to the wheels with the CAI, you maybe lose 1-3hp with the short ram setup. How could you feel that? And how could that make you win or lose races?

quite simple.. you CAN'T feel it, and it WON'T matter in a race...end of story...
Old 12-11-2002, 11:18 AM   #13
nonovurbizniz

Yo south jersey shit talker... why don't you come up to CT and I'll give you a ride with and without....

Don't just call bs cuz you THINK your right....

there is no if ands or buts... EVERY single person who's been in my car CAN FEEL the difference.

If you think I'm Wrong prove it come up and tell me you don't feel a difference.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:02 PM   #14
oc civic

Quote:
Yo south jersey shit talker... why don't you come up to CT and I'll give you a ride with and without....

Don't just call bs cuz you THINK your right....

there is no if ands or buts... EVERY single person who's been in my car CAN FEEL the difference.

If you think I'm Wrong prove it come up and tell me you don't feel a difference.

wah wah wah.. get the teers out of your eyes you little school girl.. go tell your mommy someone was mean to you on the internet.. maybe she will give you a cockie... there is NO differance.. get over it.. why not come down and put some money up.. we will put the stock air box in the ctr swapped DX and i will run you.. i wont even spray in it.. unless you have something needing that kinda edge.. so lets hear all about your ride??? what kinda mods you got..
Old 12-11-2002, 12:09 PM   #15
nonovurbizniz

WTF are you talking about.

I never said I could beat a ctr swap....

what I said was If you're so sure then why don't you come up and prove me wrong.

I never said I wanted to race or that my car is more modded than yours. (like that matters anyway. OOO Your dumbass BOUGHT a japanese beat to hell motor that doesn't even get the hp It says it does... I'm impressed.)

So if you want to get back to the point... come up and tell me honestly there's no difference after riding in it.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:15 PM   #16
oc civic

Quote:

I never said I wanted to race or that my car is more modded than yours. (like that matters anyway. OOO Your dumbass BOUGHT a japanese beat to hell motor that doesn't even get the hp It says it does... I'm impressed.)

So if you want to get back to the point... come up and tell me honestly there's no difference after riding in it.

ctrs not mine.. its just a motor i helped instal.. i only have a juiced y8.......

i seriously BELIEVE the differance is MINIMAL and insignificant... especialy in racing.. the differance between 5 HP in a race is NOTHING... i think that people in general are tricked by the sound or something..

my car with the power steerign removed makes more power... it doesn't feel any faster.. my car with an intake over stock air box probably made a SIMILAR improvement in power (minimal gains) but "felt" faster... why??? because it makes noise... same as an exhaust... when my ex was stock with just intake i would run closely with lightly modded ex's beat them sometimes.. my point is the power differance made by light bolt ons is uniportant.. and in a REAL life racing situation means VERY little..
Old 12-11-2002, 12:23 PM   #17
nonovurbizniz

Oh and just to let all of you know the reason it makes a difference is because for every 10 degree drop in intake air temp. there is a 1% gain.... So if under hood is a minimum of 110 degrees and the outside temp can be under 32. that's a about 6-10% difference.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:27 PM   #18
nonovurbizniz

I'm telling you a friend of mine has a 16v VW gti (2.0) and he SMOKES me with the short ram and only has me by a car length or 2 with it. another friend has a '70 checy impala 400 and he has me by a car length or two with the short ram and I'm right with him if not ahead of him with the CAI.

I have no reason to make this up... It IS a noticable difference. my car has no top end with the short-ram the vtec engagement can't really even be felt but with the CAI it's an obvious boost.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:50 PM   #19
oc civic

Quote:
I'm telling you a friend of mine has a 16v VW gti (2.0) and he SMOKES me with the short ram and only has me by a car length or 2 with it. another friend has a '70 checy impala 400 and he has me by a car length or two with the short ram and I'm right with him if not ahead of him with the CAI.

I have no reason to make this up... It IS a noticable difference. my car has no top end with the short-ram the vtec engagement can't really even be felt but with the CAI it's an obvious boost.

ive just completely lost interest in arguing about a bunch of 16 sec cars.... no offense of course..
Old 12-11-2002, 01:58 PM   #20
iRACEmyCTR

it's obvious that you "feel" a difference. We can't change how you feel. But the numbers don't lie. a 125hp civic ex will run 16.4 with a perfect driver and pefect conditions. I'll give you 10 more horses added with your CAI. That makes a 16.2 with a perfect driver. Hell we'll cut that gain in half with a short ram. Civic ex plus 5hp gained from a short ram: 16.3. You must be one hell of a physics engineer to notice such a dramatic difference between 1/10 of a second. An intake won't make your car fast. The SOHC civic engine simply doesnt suck enough air to make a difference.

Oh and by the way, I'm the dumbass who bought a japanese beat to hell motor that doesn't even get the hp It says it does...
Old 12-11-2002, 07:01 PM   #21
nonovurbizniz

well it's funny to me that you guys sit here and TALK about how your right where I have offered to let you guys come and take a ride and tell me there's no difference.

And I hate to tell you but being a physics engineer has nothing to do with how sensitive you are. And beyond that LIKE I SAID IT'S NOT JUST ME...

You guys can call bs all you want but unless your man enough to stand up to a challenge then STFU.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:17 PM   #22
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

without track times arguing over what mods do better performance wise is retarted. now a CAI and short ram add and take away power at different points on the rpm band. a short ram will not give you good top end, and a cold air will not give as good bottom end.

second thing. i personaly think if your worried about taking your car through water too deep... this hobbys not for you. expect to be stranded, to break down, to spend LOTS of money. have a second car. i want to start over again, get a daily driver and have my weekend car.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 07:36 PM   #23
iRACEmyCTR

Quote:
well it's funny to me that you guys sit here and TALK about how your right where I have offered to let you guys come and take a ride and tell me there's no difference.

And I hate to tell you but being a physics engineer has nothing to do with how sensitive you are. And beyond that LIKE I SAID IT'S NOT JUST ME...

You guys can call bs all you want but unless your man enough to stand up to a challenge then STFU.

the challenge?? what is this american gladiators or something?? I'm just trying to show you the light man. If you truly feel a difference and choose to ignore my proven statistics then go for it, i don't care. But i'm not gonna drive up to where you live so i can prove a point to someone i've never met. You will go faster with a CAI. That is agreed. But i'm done wasting my time trying to help your 17sec ass.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:01 AM   #24
nonovurbizniz

Whatever.....

You guys are wrong... It's amazing how YOU guys all know a car that YOU'VE NEVER BEEN IN better than the guy who DRIVES it everyday and EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO'S BEEN IN THE CAR with and without the CAI on...

Oh ya and nice concesion at the end....

"You will go faster with a CAI"

I know that's why I said it.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:34 AM   #25
oc civic

Quote:
Whatever.....

You guys are wrong... It's amazing how YOU guys all know a car that YOU'VE NEVER BEEN IN better than the guy who DRIVES it everyday and EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO'S BEEN IN THE CAR with and without the CAI on...

Oh ya and nice concesion at the end....

"You will go faster with a CAI"

I know that's why I said it.

how about you shut the **** up already. your car is slow no one cares...
Old 12-12-2002, 11:37 AM   #26
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Be a little bit more mature about this guys.

Remember the saying about arguing on the internet...

Old 12-12-2002, 12:41 PM   #27
alpine3069

well i just want to say that i have an ICEMAN CAI and you can't fell the difference, you hear a different sound with the CAI compared to the short ram. i know it hard to ommit when your wrong but they are right. just look at the numbers. not trying to be a dick but they are right.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:19 PM   #28
nonovurbizniz

F**k off dude. seriously I DON'T CARE WHAT IT DOES ON YOUR CAR.

Until one of your internet trash talkers anti's up and says they'll ride in MY car with and without the cai then shut up.

At this goddam point I'm about ready to go down to jersey.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:27 PM   #29
oc civic

Quote:
F**k off dude. seriously I DON'T CARE WHAT IT DOES ON YOUR CAR.

Until one of your internet trash talkers anti's up and says they'll ride in MY car with and without the cai then shut up.

At this goddam point I'm about ready to go down to jersey.

come on down... ill spot you a car and the break... since my cars SO SLOW....
Old 12-12-2002, 01:34 PM   #30
nonovurbizniz

DUDE THIS IS MY LAST POST....

I NEVER SAID YOUR CAR WAS SLOWER THAN MINE.. I NEVER SAID I WANT TO RACE YOU....

WHAT I SAID FOR THE LAST GODDAM TIME IS

YOU CAN FEEL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SHORT RAM AND CAI ON MY CAR.

if you serious I will TOTALLY meet you half way and you can come for a ride....

If you SERIOUSLY think that there is no difference I will change my user name to DICKHEAD and tell everyone how right you are.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:33 PM   #31
iRACEmyCTR

HAHAHAHAHAHA you're so upset hahahahahaha. are you familiar with the placebo effect?? It's a new trend in medicine where patients are given pills that have no effect on the body. The patient takes the pill, thinks he's gonna feel better, and then by way of electronic impulses to the brain he does feel better. The patient will swear that he's better now because he can "feel" a difference, when really it was just a mental game. If you truly are so determined that it makes a night and day difference, then come down to NJ. We'll show you how it's done. You're problem: lack of direction. Come down to New Jersey, we'll do lunch, drive the cars a bit, chill out and smoke a bowl, then drive the cars some more. Then we'll send you back to whenever you are from and you'll feel much better knowing that you now know how to tune and race your vehicle.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:03 PM   #32
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by iRACEmyCTR
chill out and smoke a bowl, then drive the cars some more. Then we'll send you back to whenever you are from and you'll feel much better knowing that you now know how to tune and race your vehicle.

ROTFF LMFAO..... HHHHHHAAAAAAA