.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2003, 12:33 AM   #1
Sivik

I have a turbo, yea yea yea, I have a turbo, yea yea yea!

Sup guys!

Just got done installing my GReddy turbo and I love it! The BOV sound is priceless, along with the performance. Install went well, ran into a few problems but overcame with a lil work. But I do have a question real quick.

The kit came from the factory set a "5.5" according to the manual and everyone else. However, according to my boost gauge, I'm at 6, and then tonight I was having fun and I saw it go up to 7 psi. I don't have an intercooler or whatnot so I don't want 7 psi right now. What gives? Is my gauge just wrong? I didn't touch the wastegate at all, nor do I know how to adjust it. So my other question is how do I adjust the wastegate?

Oh and one more thing, what is the lower vacuum connection for one the GReddy Type S BOV for? Just curious... thanks!

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 10:14 AM   #2
Kyle
elyK

sweet dude! glad you like it.
can't answer your question though...sorry

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
silver

did you do the install yourself? First off I stronlgy recommend getting an intercooler. You don't need to get an hks or greddy, a blitz isn't too expensive, or you can get even smaller and get a spearco. I would need to see the setup to know why your boost is rising, have it looked at, with no intercooler and the possibility of a boost spike your motor will be toast. As for the lower vacuum connection I am not entirely familiar with it, I personally don't use bov all the time since they are really a audible mod, no use for low boost low hp applications. Maybe that is your problem?
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 05:23 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Dude ease up with boosting for now. Give the turbo a break-in time. Let it get used to your driving habits. I waited until about 300 miles before I started getting boost happy. You'll learn that you can maintain/reach 80-90 MPH without boosting. Which brand boost gauge do you have? Autometer are not as reliable, but I'm not saying that all Autometer boost gauge suks. I went through 3 Autometer boost gauges trying to compare it. It all reacted differently. What I did was exchanged it 3 times from PEP boys.
As far as your wastegate goes, there are 2 ways to fix that. My recommendation is get a turboXS sMBC and set it that way. Very easy installation.....about 15 minutes. The other way, I highly discourage to do. That is to tamper with the adjustable actuator rod. It has a turnbuckle on it. However, the problem with this is that you'll most likely mess with the gate seating position, which could cause lag if the seating position is somewhat ended up being partially OPEN. You will also have a hard time on setting it cuz you'll never know what boost setting you're gonna end up with (per turn).
Invest in an intercooler soon!. Eventhough GReddy don't really suggest it at stock 5.5 psi, you're still better off having it. Right now is okay due to cold weather. By the time summer gets here, must have it.
The other vacuum fitting on the BOV is the reverse acting side of it. It sort of like another way to activate it from a different source other than vacuum/pressure from the intake manifold. It does NOT apply to Honda cars.
REGARDLESS, Congrats on your turbo and WELCOME to the "dark side"

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:10 AM   #5
Sivik

thanks guys! i love my turbo! did the install with the help of a friend. took me 2 days cuz I had to work Saturday night. would of finished it then.

but seriously, im not pushing my turbo hard right now. Most of the time I'll accelerate at 3-4 psi of boost IF that. Half the time traffic's in the way anyways.

as for the intercooler, that is my next purchase. just need to save some money first. i have a scholarship check in the mail (he he) and plus I'm doing my taxes early so I can get my refund ASAP. My birthday is also next month. I'll prolly get a GReddy FMIC since its made for my turbo, but I want to make sure it fills my bumper opening. don't want a small, weak looking FMIC. Any suggestions? my friends got an APEX one and its badass, but expensive. hopefully next month i'll get the intercooler.

boost gauge is Autometer (Lunar Series) and someone on Honda-tech.com told me its spiking and the cold weather has tendencies to do that. so any other ideas?

i'll definitely look into the TurboXS sMBC, but I really want an electronic boost controller but they are expensive. Can I eventually raise up to 10 psi with the TurboXS sMBC?

My setup is:

GReddy TD-04 Turbo (92-95) @ 6 psi
GReddy Type S BOV
GReddy Turbo Timer
Autometer A/F and Boost gauge
Stock injectors, plugs, and wires
93 octane gas
15W-50 Oil
Tanabe Super Racing Medallion Exhaust
Stock Cat

I think thats all thats applicable for the turbo.

As far as the boost goes, if it does hit 7 psi it goes right back down to 6 or "5.5" from the factory since I haven't messed with actuator. its hard to watch it and keep my eyes on the road. oh well... sorry for the long post.

Later!

My Car

My Car is for sale

Last edited by Sivik : 01-08-2003 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:12 AM   #6
Sivik

also, just curious, what kind of 1/4 mile times would I run @ 6 psi?

My Car

My Car is for sale
Old 01-10-2003, 04:35 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
I'll prolly get a GReddy FMIC since its made for my turbo, but I want to make sure it fills my bumper opening. don't want a small, weak looking FMIC. Any suggestions?
I have the type31 GReddy FMIC. My only complain is the piping routing. On the efficiency side, I did not experience any pressure drop at all, and if I did, it was not noticable. I think GReddy came up with a newer and bigger one now. The type24 is not bad neither.
Quote:
Stock injectors, plugs, and wires
93 octane gas
15W-50 Oil
I advice that you get an NGK 7 series plug part number: BCPR7ES which burns colder. It will not give you a noticable power gain but surely better for combustion. Every now and then, put an octane booster on that baby. Trust me, they work well with turboed cars. Make sure that you use synthetic oil from now on. It's viscousity reacts well with the temp the turbo produces. It will also lengthen the life span of your set-up.
Quote:
what kind of 1/4 mile times would I run @ 6 psi?
It really depnds man. I've heard of people running 14's with stock boost and upgraded fuel system. I do no know what mine is. Not satisfied with my additional mods yet. Gotta install my BBK 255 LPH, B&M command flo, and high flow cat first......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote