.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2003, 01:54 AM   #1
2KSI

275 whp hp with stock tranny and drive shafts?

im thinking of putting a HO vortech in to my 2k si (us). it occured to me that might be too much power for the stock components like the tranny and half shafts. vortech claims it will produce 275 hp and182f-lb torque at the wheelz. What do you guys think?. i need some input. do any of you guys have a 99-00 si with a vortech or something similar?
Old 06-20-2003, 02:05 AM   #2
AzCivic

you wont break anything unless you start launching all hard. I'd recommend getting a quaife LSD so all that extra power gets to the ground. If your really worried about the axles get aftermarket ones made to take more abuse.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:04 AM   #3
2KSI

i was looking at the quaife diff its looks good for drag but is it good for the track too. ive been going to the track alot. oh have you herd anything about enjo drive shafts and how they compair with others. i looked at the stage 2 that supports upto 275 hp. do you think it would be worth it to upgrade driveshafts too.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:02 PM   #4
AzCivic

the quaife is great for the track.

I havent heard of those axles, I wouldnt upgrade till I knew I could break them, like after you break one. If you do break one stock replacements are pretty cheap to get from autozone till you can get the upgraded ones.
For aftermarket axles I'd look at:
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/HONDAPAGE.ivnu
http://www.raxles.com/index1.htm
Old 06-20-2003, 09:59 PM   #5
nonovurbizniz

Oh and I'm not trying to second guess you but... the vortech sc is a HUGE blower...

most say it has all the downsides of a supercharger AND a turbocharger...

IE.. parasitic crank drag AND LONG LONG spool time.

And my guess would be you'll be snapping stuff pretty regularly with even 250 whp... especially if you track it with slicks... then you can just about guarantee snapped axels...
Old 06-22-2003, 01:36 AM   #6
2KSI

ive looked at the jackson racing but i like the car to pull harder as the revs get higher. thats why i like the vortech, its linear power. Thanks for all the imput i greately appreciate it!!

oh before i get the vortech my setup is as follows: full darton sleeves, je 9:1 and crower cams.

allready in my car: dc 4 to1 header full apex catback exhaust with 2.75 in pipe and act clutch. oh and yesterday i just put street glow kit on and it is blue.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:38 AM   #7
2KSI

forgot the quaife diff ive herd all greate things about it. ive never herd anybody knock it. im going to get that toooooo
cant beat a lifetime warranty
Old 06-23-2003, 01:40 AM   #8
2KSI

Thanks for all your help I greatly appreciate it! Especially the web links.

But what about the tranny? Do you have an estimate of how much hp is it capeable of handling without slicks. i didnt mention this before but it will be a daily driver as well. Thats why Im going to build the engine up. but I'm left with the tranny which few web pages talk about. At least the ones that i can find.

This is an imformative fourm thanks to all of the mature people!

ive beem to some other fourms, where the people are 14 years old and cant get along.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:47 AM   #9
AzCivic

well as for the tranny the first thing thats gonna go is the stock differential which is going to be replaced by the lifetime warrantied Quaife. everything else in there should be fine, except maybe the synchros and well those just go eventually after alot of hard driving, kinda like a clutch. Just remember to change your tranny fluid about once or twice a year and do not, I repeat DO NOT use Redline tranny fluid.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:13 AM   #10
2KSI

redline? i herd that was good. have you seen different. so should i just use the honda stuff then?

do you know of any sites that have numbers for the stock tranny

Thanks again
Old 06-24-2003, 12:55 PM   #11
AzCivic

well I gotta get a new tranny because of it(redline), seen other people have similiar problems when using it. i've also heard alot of bad things on various forums about it. I'd stick with Honda's MTF. I've also heard good things about Torco MTF though(from someone who actually drag races professionally).

what #'s do you mean? like the tranny codes? or gear ratios?

Last edited by AzCivic : 06-25-2003 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:21 PM   #12
2KSI

the numbers i was talking about are the max power rating on the tranny what its rated at ft-lbs and hp from honda or experince. i just want to get an idea of how much power/abuse it will take before i breake it. and i know i will eventually breake it when i do thses upgrades i wont have much money after. so i wanted to know because if i did breake it i wont have any money to replace it for a whille.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:09 AM   #13
AzCivic

If you put in the quaife and upgrade the axles there shouldnt be anything to worry about.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:01 AM   #14
sohc_vtec 2NR

about the transmission fluid..STICK WITH HONDA! i personally haven't dealt with redline, but i have read that using other tranny fluid is only a temporary solution is pretty much what you can only use (this is unique about Honda's tranny)