Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2001, 10:15 AM   #1
90civiclxryder

best intake

what kind of intakes are good for a 90 civic? what are the best choices
Old 09-04-2001, 06:35 PM   #2
VSM Ex 99'

to begin with....its all starts with application....if you want it just to have a nice sound...and a cheap low cost intake...then just by and extension..and put a filter on it...or buy an arospeed or rs akimoto....etc...if you want performance...then there is two ways.... CAI or engine bay intake....ill give you some info on both....

CAI : extends to the bottom of the car....made with different materials depending on company.....AEM uses a ceramic coated pipe...which cuts out heat....even though it gets hot...once cold air flows through...the material adapts thus turning cold...the ICEMAN is a plastic....plastic blocks out heat too....however...when it gets hot..it stays hot, and when the cold air touches it, it gradually gets cold...personal preference is AEM... but ill stick with my ICEMAN...

SHORT RAM :stays inside the engine bay...there is a good and a bad to this....BAD is the heat that is being let out by the engine...it will take cold air to make more HP...and ur not getting any in there...unless u leave ur flood box and all tubing from bottom of car to the top...its a little bit better...but still not enough cold air..now the GOOD is that since its a "SHORT RAM" the time it takes for the air to travel from the filter to the engine takes alot less time that it does from the bottom of the fender to the engine...

to sum it up for nice cold air buy an aem...or a comptech ice box...or ICEMAN etc....nicest sound...aem..most hp AEM and COMP.. if u want a short ram ....AEM or DAC(which has optional extension)..hope it helps
Old 09-04-2001, 07:41 PM   #3
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

If you want the best, I would have to go with AEM Cold Air Intake. They have proven gains and they sound good.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 04:06 PM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Yep....

AEM has the research and dynos to prove their gains. A cold air intake will give you a nice sound as well as a "start" on performance.
Old 09-13-2001, 02:45 AM   #5
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

BEEN THERE --- DONE IT...

Quote:
Originally posted by 90civiclxryder
what kind of intakes are good for a 90 civic? what are the best choices
You can save a lot of time and money by just reading this post and skipping the rest. Everyone is going to tell you AEM is the best, but they're wrong. Save yourself a few bones and buy an Iceman. Iceman makes the best "intake."

Want more??? I'll be glad to blather... :p
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 09:24 PM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: BEEN THERE --- DONE IT...

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
You can save a lot of time and money by just reading this post and skipping the rest. Everyone is going to tell you AEM is the best, but they're wrong. Save yourself a few bones and buy an Iceman. Iceman makes the best "intake."

Want more??? I'll be glad to blather... :p

Oh yes and he CAN blather on like no one else!

Good to see you here BDC!
Old 09-13-2001, 10:35 PM   #7
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

If you want to upgrade to a turbo later on, save your money. Buying the intake is just wasting money. The intake won't do much for ya cause it comes off when the turbo goes on. Put the money towards an exhaust.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 02:12 AM   #8
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

My .02:

Personal preference is the AEM. The Iceman has a good theory: By making the diameter of the intake progressively smaller as it reaches the TB, air will become compressed, making it cooler, more dense, and increase air pressure and velocity. The problem with this: I have yet to see a setup in a Honda in which the air actually being pushed into the TB (besides FI, in which case this is pointless). In our Hondas, air is sucked into the TB, rather than pushed. Therefore, pressure on the TB will be reduced in the Iceman system, rather than increased, as will velocity. Think of it like this: Imagine yourself with a bucket of water in front of you. Your goal: suck the water out of that bucket. You have two options for a straw: One is 2" in diameter, the other is a traffic cone. Which is going to be easier to suck water through? Which is the water going to be traveling through faster when it hits your lips?

Also, the AEM uses a K&N filter- proven time and again to be the best. Both are great products, but I believe the AEM to be superior.

BDC- I'm not calling you out, just stating my opinion.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 03:26 AM   #9
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
... Also, the AEM uses a K&N filter- proven time and again to be the best. Both are great products, but I believe the AEM to be superior... just stating my opinion.
Opinions are fine, bro, but let me throw a couple of facts your way...

There is no doubt about it. As far as filters go anyway, K&N is the best you're going to find. They are made of high quality cotton-mesh weave, and when oiled properly they filter out particles better than any replacement paper filter, yet offer much higher flow.

The problem with your "opinion" is this. True, K&N filters are used on AEM intake systems. But they are also used on the Iceman, DC Sports, RS Akimoto, Lightspeed, and sh!tload of others. AEM's are NOT unique in this respect.

I would be willing to concede that they have roughly the same velocity, if you would. I think this issue is nothing but hype on both companies parts. There's no reason for us to play into it.

Equal filtration, equal velocity. That still leaves us with the pesky question of finish. Considering the fact that they both reside in the engine compartment --- the hottest place in your car --- which would you think delivers cooler air? That is, in your "opinion", is aluminum or plastic a better insulator? And, which conducts heat better --- plastic or aluminum???

All other things being equal, wouldn't that make the Iceman "superior" to the AEM --- in your "opinion"???
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
Old 09-14-2001, 04:09 AM   #10
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Once again, not calling you out.

IM "opinion," it's true- plastic is a better insulator than metal. It's also cheaper to use, especially after you figure in coating the metal to resist heat. So why doesn't everybody use it?

It cracks. Plastic is incredibly prone to expansion and contraction in response to temperature changes. If you live in a climate that tends to get colder, a cold plastic intake being rapidly heated in the engine bay is bad news for the plastic. I don't know exactly where skull island is, but here in Colorado, nobody uses Iceman intakes because we've all seen more than one with a fairly sizable crack due to wintertime driving. The plastic used in the Iceman is especially prone because it is such a hard plastic. The stock airboxes and intake tubes aren't as prone because they're a much softer compound. True, this doesn't apply to everybody, but if you live in a climate that sees more than 4 months of snow, it's something to keep in mind.

Finally, consider this:

Given: 18.1 hp and 12.6 lb/ft is an incredibly lofty number. However, I've never even heard of Iceman even claiming these kinds of results. Also, a dyno is only as good as the people performing it, and I can't say anything (good or bad) about this dyno or these people. So if the materials/ insulation on the Iceman is so much better and the charge air is so much cooler, where are these massive (or at least comparable) gains coming from? The AEM is dyno proven to outperform every other intake on the market. Given: I have yet to see a head to head of the AEM vs. the Iceman performed on the same car on the same day. Even then, whichever was tested first has the advantage. If anybody does know where I can see one, please let me know- I'm very interested.
Old 09-14-2001, 01:04 PM   #11
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

You make so many points here, and pose so many questions, I'm going to respond to your remarks individually...

Quote:
Once again, not calling you out.

Yes, of course not. Why should I suspect that? You didn't say "but...", as in "Once again, not calling you out, but..."

IM "opinion," it's true- plastic is a better insulator than metal.

Good! We're making headway. BTW, this is a FACT, not just your "opinion".

It's also cheaper to use, especially after you figure in coating the metal to resist heat.

Two things here: the first part of your assertion isn't necessarily true, especially when the cost of the injection molding process is taken into account. Secondly, the Zirconia powder coating that AEM claims will resist heat is actually a sinter-bonding material used to keep the coloring from falling off the pipe. Don't listen to their bullsh!t, listen to mine. Mine will save you money, their's won't...

So why doesn't everybody use it?

It cracks. Plastic is incredibly prone to expansion and contraction in response to temperature changes. If you live in a climate that tends to get colder, a cold plastic intake being rapidly heated in the engine bay is bad news for the plastic. I don't know exactly where skull island is, but here in Colorado, nobody uses Iceman intakes because we've all seen more than one with a fairly sizable crack due to wintertime driving. The plastic used in the Iceman is especially prone because it is such a hard plastic. The stock airboxes and intake tubes aren't as prone because they're a much softer compound. True, this doesn't apply to everybody, but if you live in a climate that sees more than 4 months of snow, it's something to keep in mind.

This is where you stepped over the line, bro. I am schooled in debate and trained to recognize dishonest debating tactics. This is a classic example of the 'begging the question' fallacy, also known as 'circular logic'.

Circular logic is precisely what its name implies: it assumes the very thing that it is supposed to prove. This trick is always cloaked carefully in careful use of synonyms or long-winded arguments so convoluted that you lose your way before you get to the end of the closed loop.

Fact: ALL car manufacturers use plastic for air intakes and it DOES NOT crack.

Finally, consider this:

Given: 18.1 hp and 12.6 lb/ft is an incredibly lofty number. However, I've never even heard of Iceman even claiming these kinds of results. Also, a dyno is only as good as the people performing it, and I can't say anything (good or bad) about this dyno or these people. So if the materials/ insulation on the Iceman is so much better and the charge air is so much cooler, where are these massive (or at least comparable) gains coming from? The AEM is dyno proven to outperform every other intake on the market. Given: I have yet to see a head to head of the AEM vs. the Iceman performed on the same car on the same day. Even then, whichever was tested first has the advantage. If anybody does know where I can see one, please let me know- I'm very interested.

I would respond to this by saying almost all dyno runs are done with the hood open and a fan blowing on the motor. I have heard of AEM intakes losing 5-HP on the dyno by just closing the hood.

Remember, the air intake location is fixed on the AEM intake system and your car doesn't run down the road with the hood open and a fan blowing cool air into the compartment.

The Iceman, however, is a 2-piece system. You can configure it as a 'drylands' or 'wetlands' setup. There is no way an AEM can deliver the same amount of cold air to the intake system as an Iceman in the 'drylands' configuration. It is physically impossible.

The Iceman 'drylands' setup draws air from the vents directly in front of the passenger side wheelwell. This means that the engine is no longer ingesting the hot air of the underhood cavity and hot air saps power [10 F is worth about 1% HP]. This is particularly important from a standing start, i.e. drag strip/stoplight, when the underhood area is not ventilated by moving air.

In defense of MY 'stock airbox with K&N drop-in setup' [which you surprisingly haven't attacked yet] I would mention that there is no quantitative power differences between the Iceman 'wetlands' setup, the AEM and a 'lid-less' stock airbox with a K&N filter.
Am I boring you or should I keep on blathering???
Old 09-15-2001, 03:20 AM   #12
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Alright, I'll try and say this without circular logic:

Iceman intakes crack in the winter, due to rapid changes in the temperature of the plastic. I have seen it happen more than once. Stock airboxes and intakes aren't as prone, since the plastic is a softer compound.

The AEM cold air and Iceman 'drylands' setup are identical. They draw air in from the passenger side fender well. Anyone's short ram and the Iceman 'wetlands' are also identical- they suck. They draw hot air in from the engine bay. BTW- 7 degrees farenheit translates to 1%.

As for your setup, whatever works for you, man- go for it. I'm not attacking, and I hope you don't interpret my posts as such.

On that note, I read the old SHO thread about Brink, and I must say I'm impressed. I've never seen anyone who can twist someone else's words around to mean whatever he wants them to mean like you can. Your debate background is apparent.
Old 09-22-2001, 06:34 PM   #13
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Iceman intakes crack in the winter, due to rapid changes in the temperature of the plastic. I have seen it happen more than once. Stock airboxes and intakes aren't as prone, since the plastic is a softer compound...
Pictures are worth 1000 words. Let's see some proof. Show me one picture of a 'cracked' Iceman and I'll redact an apology.

Quote:
Iceman FAQ
Q: Will the ICEMAN crack and break like a plastic milk jug?

A. No, the ICEMAN is made of a different type of plastic. Much like the same plastic that your fuse box is made out of, sitting under your hood. In fact the ICEMAN is made from the same type of plastic material as motorcycle tanks, therefore NOS or fuel is not a problem.

Q. How much PSI can the ICEMAN intake system pipe hold?

A. 180,000 PSI

Q. Does ICEMAN come with a limited warranty?

A. Yes it does, it comes with a 5 year limited warranty.

Q. Why does Knight Engineering use plastic for their intakes?

A. Based on scientific reasoning, there are several known factors that impede engine performance.

Among these, operating temperatures and the mass flow of air are the most critical. Overcoming the adverse impact that these factors have in any air-intake design is an engineering challenge.

Knight Engineering met the challenge years ago by originating a three-prong solution that uses plastic as the perfect material to integrate the various problems into a single solution. Below is a quick summary of the qualities found in plastic, and our innovative use of this excellent material to design and produce intake systems superior to anything else on the market.

Three primary reasons:
  • 1) Material - We use plastic because it is the lowest conductive material that meets every requirement to solve the problems cited above. For example, compared to thin-wall intake pipes made of aluminum, our intake systems run three times cooler. The importance of supplying cooler air in adequate amounts, relative to engine performance, is discussed in more detail below.

2) Shape - Plastic allows us to have more control over the physical form of our engineered designs than other materials. This means that we can regulate both the volume of intake air (torque) and its velocity (horsepower), to substantially increase performance from bottom-end settings through higher power demands. This increased and instant response can only be achieved by controlling the air intake's length and ID (air chamber), its overall gradual cone shape (velocity tube/air horn), and the smooth route it takes between points (no bottle necks).

Moreover, our process flows to a slick smooth internal surface that eliminates airflow distortions caused by bending and welding metal tubes.

3) Location - Because plastic can be molded to conform to engineered designs, we predetermine the best placement of the filter to draw the coolest air and start from there.

In contrast, metal tubes are made straight and rigid for a multitude of general uses- even intake pipes. However, the actual route that pipes take is driven more by their tight bent limitations, then by design placement. In short, the material dictates the ultimate performance levels, rather than engineering principles. This is a crucial point because, by placing the filter outside the hot engine compartment, operating temperatures are lowered approximately 70-90 degrees F, and more during the hotter summer months. What this means to you is a one percent (1%) power gain for every 10-degree drop in temperature.

4) The resulting increases in fuel economy are simply by-products of engines operating at much higher levels of efficiency.
I assume your friends returned their 'cracked' Iceman intakes to Knight Engineering. I know I wouldn't throw a $200 intake in the trash. Did the replacements 'crack' too???

If they didn't return them, post a picture of one here and I'll eat my words...

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg[/i]
...I've never seen anyone who can twist someone else's words around to mean whatever he wants them to mean like you can. Your debate background is apparent.
LOL!!! To prove THIS point, I'll take that as a compliment...
Old 09-22-2001, 07:40 PM   #14
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

OOPS! FORGOT TO REPLY TO THESE COMMENTS...

Quote:
...The AEM cold air and Iceman 'drylands' setup are identical. They draw air in from the passenger side fender well. Anyone's short ram and the Iceman 'wetlands' are also identical- they suck. They draw hot air in from the engine bay...
I think you are confused...

Here's a pic of an Iceman in the 'drylands' configuration:

Now, look at the pics on the right and mentally picture the filter position behind the front bumper, not the "fenderwell". How the hell can you say an AEM is "identical" to a Iceman in the "drylands setup"???

NOBODY can match an Iceman in 'drylands' config. Give it up, b!tch...

In the 'wetlands' configuration, the pipe extension would be 'broken' at the clamps, and the filter placed there. This would be SIMILAR to the AEM, except that the Iceman still has the advantage in the materials used, as well as the shape of the pipe.
Old 09-23-2001, 08:10 PM   #15
HondaX

Don't want to start no war here, but I have done numerous test on this intake subject. I tested the two best intakes on the market, AEM and Iceman. I drove 30 min each with both the intakes. I had a temp gauge inside the both the intakes. I results were surprising. At first I thought that the Iceman would win. but in the end the AEM was actually cooler. At a stand still the AEM was sometimes up to 15 degrees warmer than the Iceman, but when the car was moving the temps of the AEM intake actually drop 5 degrees are more then the Iceman. In the end, I was puzzled, but then my friend gave me a good explanation. Yes its true that metal does heat up quicker then plastics, but metal also cools off quickier then plastics. Plastic is a good material that it takes a long time to actually be hot, but you GUYS have to remember also that plastics retain heat. Which means that heat is slower to dissapiate in plastics, while a rush of fresh cold air could actually cool the metal tube quicker. The end profuct is colder air makes more horses. Thanks sorry for the long rambling.
Old 09-23-2001, 10:14 PM   #16
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The Iceman 'drylands' configuration is the same setup as the AEM Cold Air setup. They both feed from the air space behind the bumper. The Iceman 'wetlands' configuration would be the same setup as the AEM Short Ram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98civicex - no bumper copy.jpg (36.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 10-07-2001, 07:50 PM   #17
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
The Iceman 'drylands' configuration is the same setup as the AEM Cold Air setup. They both feed from the air space behind the bumper. The Iceman 'wetlands' configuration would be the same setup as the AEM Short Ram.

Ditto!

---------------------------------------------------------------

My vote goes to the AEM.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:17 AM   #18
advanracing62

BDC is at it again I see... why is it that you must ALWAYS post a long ass reply to a simple question? No one had said anything about you nor did they ask you to put all your I'm King of debating crap on here... I'm tired of always hearing how good you are. Who do you work for? If you are so smart then why aren't you working at some R&D for JUN or someone? really man just chill on the posting. Put what you have to say into a small paragraph and leave it at that... I'll bet you know just as much as I do, I just don't have the time to waste spouting crap every chance I get.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:06 AM   #19
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by advanracing62
BDC is at it again I see... why is it that you must ALWAYS post a long ass reply to a simple question? No one had said anything about you nor did they ask you to put all your I'm King of debating crap on here... I'm tired of always hearing how good you are. Who do you work for? If you are so smart then why aren't you working at some R&D for JUN or someone? really man just chill on the posting. Put what you have to say into a small paragraph and leave it at that... I'll bet you know just as much as I do, I just don't have the time to waste spouting crap every chance I get.

bwahahah... Thats BDC for you.. He posts how he feels.. whether people want to listen to it or not..
Old 10-08-2001, 11:13 AM   #20
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
BDC is at it again I see... why is it that you must ALWAYS post a long ass reply to a simple question?[
Because I'm a garrulous fellow.

Quote:
I'm tired of always hearing how good you are.
Put me on your "Ignore" list, stupid! If you don't know how to do this, I'll explain it to you.

Quote:
Who do you work for?
I'm the vice-president of a Teamster Local. Who do you work for???

Quote:
I'll bet you know just as much as I do, I just don't have the time to waste spouting crap every chance I get.
How much you wanna bet???
Old 10-08-2001, 11:17 AM   #21
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Explain to us how you convert a 'drylands' AEM to a 'wetlands' setup, and vice-versa. This is a simple matter with an Iceman... ::

Last edited by BlackDeuceCoupe : 10-08-2001 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:00 PM   #22
advanracing62

Quote:
Put me on your "Ignore" list, stupid! If you don't know how to do this, I'll explain it to you.

Ummm.... thanks but no... you are a funny man.... I find your posts to entertain me.

I
Quote:
'm the vice-president of a Teamster Local. Who do you work for???
let's just say that I work for a company that you have heard of, in the R&D dept.

Quote:
How much you wanna bet???

more than you could ever dream of. It's not a pissing contest here, just a note that everyone isn't always as stupid as you think! But never the less let's bury the hatchet so to speak, I said my peace and now I'm done.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:18 PM   #23
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Explain to us how you convert a 'drylands' AEM to a 'wetlands' setup, and vice-versa. This is a simple matter with an Iceman... ::

Oops I missed this one.

Why? Why would you want to convert a COLD AIR system to SHORT RAM? There is no need to convert anything with AEM. The only time you're going to suck water up is when you drive through about 16" or so of water. I don't know about you guys, but if there's 16" of water on the road I'm not driving in it. Also you can add the AEM Bypass Valve to the setup to give you that extra comfort.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:42 PM   #24
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

Oops I missed this one.

...The only time you're going to suck water up is when you drive through about 16" or so of water...

Actually a lot less then that in some instances.. If you dont have any inner fender in it doesnt take much water at all. But thats more of a matter of carelessness..
Old 11-24-2001, 03:17 AM   #25
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

AEM CAI tride and true all the way...

they now have released that in a SS version...

as for the sucking up of water indeed you would have to be in a foot and a half of water and be in it lon genough to suck aoo the way up to the throttle body and then into the engine and cause engine lock.

the little bit of water that willl go in that intake w/ no fender wells will be enough moists to help you gain alittle HP as it will be condenser and cooler and cool the engine alittle for more HP...

alittle of H2O won't hurt and gallon will...Also as mantioned the Bypass valve by AEM can have you resting at ease that that won't happen..

Hope this helps alittle more.....
Old 11-26-2001, 07:42 PM   #26
alpine3069

hey i have an ICEMAN and i love it!!! they are the best intake out there!!! ::
Old 11-27-2001, 04:20 PM   #27
phatz

I just made my own intake. I got a cheap Ractive 60 dollar used intake pipe for a prelude, 3 inch exhaust tubing and a 45 dollar [canadian price] K&N Cone filter and fabricated my own intake. Costed me 1/4 of the price of any intake out there.

Also I got 3" silicone tubing for 10 dollars a foot at a Truck Parts store.

http://www.photoloft.com/view/export...03&w=256&h=192

http://www.photoloft.com/view/export...05&w=256&h=192

Last edited by BlackDeuceCoupe : 11-27-2001 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:37 AM   #28
VTC_CiViC

So far I've used an Iceman, AEM and custom, so after my extensive hands-on experience, I can tell you that NONE of them have a clear advantage. AEM seems to consistently dyno a couple more whp than the Iceman, but the sound of the Iceman is unmatched IMO. Then there's custom.. the best of both worlds plus it cost me all of $60 ::
Old 11-28-2001, 04:13 PM   #29
SWIFT

yeah.. it's not hard at all plus it's a good feeling to know that you've done it yourself; but hey, if you dont wanna go through all the hassle, aem or iceman will do.. like VTC said, aem has 2 more hp but only the computer knows/feels the difference...may i add the icebox?
Old 11-29-2001, 12:33 PM   #30
VTC_CiViC

Quote:
Originally posted by SWIFT
may i add the icebox?

Yes, but only if I may add the Injen Gen II CAI
Old 11-29-2001, 05:28 PM   #31
MrDX

Nothing works better than factory.... Remove the resonator and drop in a K&N replacement filter. It's bang for the buck, quieter than an AEM, is stock so it's stealth(no cops), and it'll give about a 7hp increase for about $35.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:19 AM   #32
phatz

You are right. The factory Honda intake system is one of the best! Its a totally sealed system, remove the resonator, pop in a k&n drop in and your set! Thats my call.
Old 12-01-2001, 12:10 PM   #33
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by MrDX
Nothing works better than factory.... Remove the resonator and drop in a K&N replacement filter. It's bang for the buck, quieter than an AEM, is stock so it's stealth(no cops), and it'll give about a 7hp increase for about $35.

AEM intakes aren't THAT loud. I don't think you'll be getting a noise ordinance ticket.

Quote:
Originally posted by phatz
You are right. The factory Honda intake system is one of the best! Its a totally sealed system, remove the resonator, pop in a k&n drop in and your set! Thats my call.

Good cheap alternative, but if you are going fo r performance the AEM will out perform the stock intake minus the resonator.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:57 PM   #34
MrDX

Quote:

Good cheap alternative, but if you are going fo r performance the AEM will out perform the stock intake minus the resonator.

That's true too... but, is 2 more hp worth the extra money... i don't think so. It performs just as well, and when I go turbo, I won't feel it in my pocket when I need to get rid of the CAI.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:10 PM   #35
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by MrDX

That's true too... but, is 2 more hp worth the extra money... i don't think so. It performs just as well, and when I go turbo, I won't feel it in my pocket when I need to get rid of the CAI.

In the end it all depends on your goal. If you're going turbo, it'd be a waste of money. But I plan on all motor (maybe some juice in the future. stuffs addicting..), so a true CAI would benefit me more in the long run.
Old 12-09-2001, 01:12 AM   #36
eXNBP

AEM SRI vs. My custom one id say the AEM one wins for 01 Civic's The iceman is not out yet so i have no word on taht yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my intake 01.jpg (47.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-10-2001, 05:54 PM   #37
slowEJ6

stock is OK! i prefer the stock intake with just a K&N drop in....on my civic at least.....on the TT Supra thats a diff story :P
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 06:00 PM   #38
eXNBP

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
stock is OK! i prefer the stock intake with just a K&N drop in....on my civic at least.....on the TT Supra thats a diff story :P
werd its supposed to add more to a Turboed car right
Old 02-08-2002, 02:26 PM   #39
HoOn

I have an Injen intake... will I see a significant performance increase if I switch to a Cold Air Intake??
Old 02-08-2002, 02:44 PM   #40
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by catral
I have an Injen intake... will I see a significant performance increase if I switch to a Cold Air Intake??

Yes there will be a gain. You may not notice it though. But it will help down the road if you plan on any other preformance mods(i.e. - nitrous, exhaust, etc)