::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #1
89civichatchback

Engine will not redline

I have a d16a6 1.6L in my 89 civic hatchback, when i try to go above 5,000RPM all it will do is sputter, and it acts like it wont do it!, but when i go downhill it seems to go at a higher RPM like 6,000 or close to it! I have changed the fuel filter, plugs, distributor, and put injector cleaner in it,and it is not a blown head gasket!, and there are no codes on the ECU! what else could be wrong with it?? Someone help me out here!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:23 PM   #2
Wren57

Hey. You are from memphis too, very cool. My girlfriend has the same problem in her 98 jeep cherokee. The only other thing wrong with her car is the transmission isn't all that great from being shifted into drive while still slowly rolling in reverse . So... my guess is it is a ecu safeguard that won't let you put strain on the tranny since its bad or going bad. Just a guess. Good luck with fixing it.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
burtonperson

this happened to my friends mote-carlo. it all of a sudden happened one day but was fixed after a day in the shop. the re-adjusted the timing and reset the entire computer. IT essentially fixed itself as you drove it and it re-learned idle speeds ect...
Old 04-09-2003, 11:03 PM   #4
OPAKRACING

yea, try disconnecting both the coords (cause i dunno which one it is) from the battery, and reconnecting them...thereby restarting the computer, and adjusting all the settings for everything....good luck
Old 04-10-2003, 01:01 AM   #5
drdingo21

you can pull the fuse out of the main fise box for the ecu (leave it out for about 10 minutes) and then put it back in and that will reset it also
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #6
JDMB16

just reset the ECU and let it realearn itsself if you aren't throwing codes, it's pretty simple.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:47 AM   #7
chahonda

if the rest of ths does not work then you have a bad ecm!!!

i have run into this prblem before!!!