::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
Mischief(LTS)

From auto to stick: a warantee myth?

the first mistake i made was getting an automatic. i've heard about such things as: if you mess up your automatic transmission enough, under warantee, honda will replace it, but with a stick shift transmission (cheaper). now of course, deliberately messing something up voids the warantee indefinately, so a little lying is in order. is any of that stuff really true?

about how long can a good, reputable place install a manual transmission in an automatic transmission?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:43 PM   #2
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

I VERY seriously doubt Honda would swap a manual tranny in there for you. Regardless of what happens.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:47 PM   #3
JDMB16

whoever told you that, go smack em in the head right now No, they won't replace it with a manual tranny. Also, don't mess up your tranny on purpose and take it to them to fix, it's people like that, that make us have to pay out the arse for everything In short, the person who told you this has no clue what they're talking about and is trying to sound smart Also, you can't install a manual transmission INTO an auto....I guess they told you that too huh? Sheesh, don't listen to ANYTHING that person says about cars lol.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:48 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Addict
I VERY seriously doubt Honda would swap a manual tranny in there for you. Regardless of what happens.

agreed.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:37 PM   #5
Mischief(LTS)

no, i meant swapping the auto for a stick. and yes, thats why i posted, i very seriously doubted it myself
Old 04-14-2003, 05:09 PM   #6
JDMB16

well, you were right
Old 04-14-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
Also, you can't install a manual transmission INTO an auto....I guess they told you that too huh?

umm yeah actualy you can swap a manual transmision system into an auto car, BUT honda wont do it because it is MUCH more expensive.. auto trannys are more than manual BUT you are forgetting the OBVIOUS.. there are MANY extra parts you need to go from auto to manual... not JUST the tranny... I honestly think if it was cheaper (its not but if) honda WOULD do it.. my dealership let me instal an ACT clutch under honda warranty(during a full tranny rebuild).. i WONT name the shop.. but they are pretty flexable when it does not hurt them directly..
Old 04-15-2003, 09:21 AM   #8
JDMB16

I meant, swap a 5 speed into an auto tranny dude, not swapping an auto out for a manual...read carefully....I said you can't swap it INTO the auto tranny.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:13 AM   #9
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
I meant, swap a 5 speed into an auto tranny dude, not swapping an auto out for a manual...read carefully....I said you can't swap it INTO the auto tranny.

what is a "5 speed" its a manual transmision.. so of COURSE you can't put ONE transmision inside another.. and i highly doubt ANYONE would be that stupid to think that you could put one inside another
Old 04-15-2003, 11:32 AM   #10
JDMB16

jesus christ dude Hmmm...seems to me like a 5 speed IS a manual tranny, seems to me like the only manual tranny Honda offers with his Civic is a manual tranny Didn't I say you couldn't do that?? YEAH, that's what I thought, guy!! Don't be a dickhead.

Seems to me like this was also the quote from HIS POST!!

Quote:
about how long can a good, reputable place install a manual transmission in an automatic transmission?

is there a problem you have with me or something?
Old 04-15-2003, 11:54 AM   #11
BlackWolf
La Loba Loca

Some years ago, I changed out my auto to a 5-spd on my Corolla when the tranny died and it was cheaper to make it manual. Partly because my bf at the time was a mechanic that worked for Toyota and he did all the work. It can be done, it wasn't THAT hard to do but it's something that won't be done under any warranty.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #12
silver

he said that you can't swap an auto into a manual, not a manual into an auto.

so you're idea is to get honda to replace your tranny with a manual? not going to happen as said. warranties are non transferable and not changeable. plus if it looks as though the cause of the problem is you messing it up, they will not work on it. it needs to be defective or fail before its time.

you can swap your tranny, but if you do why don't you go ahead and swap the entire motor and tranny since you are already planning on spending quite a large amount of money on a rather new car. are you still making payments on the car, and is it still under warranty? if either of these are true you shouldn't do anything at all.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:54 PM   #13
pbateson

Some Accord had been swap to auto from maunal.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:57 PM   #14
JDMB16

countless number of cars have had an auto to manual tranny conversion
Old 04-15-2003, 06:09 PM   #15
nonovurbizniz

it's common and MUCH cheaper than doing a swap... the tranny and all the parts needed can be bought for under 400 bucks if your a good shopper... as far as labor... don't be silly almost noone would do that for someone out of a shop and if they would they would charge an arm and a leg.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:23 PM   #16
Jake98Civ

Say you did get the tranny, and all you needed, how much would it cost for a shop to make the switch from automatic to stick.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:19 PM   #17
nonovurbizniz

it'd probobly be a raping just like doing a swap... if not worse on labor... but adding a swap to that ain't gunna make it cheaper.

DIY
Old 04-19-2003, 07:06 PM   #18
02_Si
2nd Gear

If a car has a stock MANUAL, 5 speed transmission, would it be possible to swap the transmission for a 6 speed?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:04 PM   #19
nonovurbizniz

sure if you can get someone to make one for you.

Or if you do a k20 swap with the 6speed.