Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2001, 05:38 PM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Turbo Preperation

Im wanting to start getting my car ready to get a Turbo for my EX. I was wanting to go with the Greddy kit, and just run greddy stock boost for a while, some time early 2002. Heres my question. What type of things can I do now so that I wont have to do them after I get my turbo? Heres some of the things I was thinking.

1.)New Clutch
2.)New fuel pump (what is the best one for the money?)
3.)FPR (what is the best one for the money?)
4.)Ignition (what should I get ex: MSD SCI, or 6A ignition, stuff like that? Whats a good complete setup?)
5.)A/F Gauge, Exhaust Temp Guage..(Do I need both or is one better. Yes Ill get a boost gauge with the Turbo also.)
6.)I already have a Cam gear just havent installed it yet.

What other things can I do to get and install before I get the turbo?

Any Suggestion would be great.

Last edited by Racing Rice : 09-30-2001 at 05:44 PM.
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 08:16 PM   #2
turbod97ex

Hey Jeremy, get the clutch, an intercooler, and an oil cooler. Make sure that the oil cooler and intercooler will fit if they are both to be front mounted. Since you will be going stock boost, you can use the blue box for up to 8 psi and the money spent on the IC and OC will be well worth it. My car runs much cooler since I put the oil cooler on.
If money is a factor in getting the parts, wait on getting the fuel pump and fpr, especially since you are not going for high boost for a while. As far as gauges, I am getting an oil pressure gauge next and an A/F after that. I would suggest that you get a boost controller, electronic if you got the bucks, manual if not.
If money is not holding you back, get everything you mentioned, however, I would guess that it is a factor and getting the IC, OC, BC, and oil pressure gauge are all wise choices.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:19 AM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by turbod97ex
Hey Jeremy, get the clutch, an intercooler, and an oil cooler. Make sure that the oil cooler and intercooler will fit if they are both to be front mounted. Since you will be going stock boost, you can use the blue box for up to 8 psi and the money spent on the IC and OC will be well worth it. My car runs much cooler since I put the oil cooler on.
If money is a factor in getting the parts, wait on getting the fuel pump and fpr, especially since you are not going for high boost for a while. As far as gauges, I am getting an oil pressure gauge next and an A/F after that. I would suggest that you get a boost controller, electronic if you got the bucks, manual if not.
If money is not holding you back, get everything you mentioned, however, I would guess that it is a factor and getting the IC, OC, BC, and oil pressure gauge are all wise choices.

I was thinking about running sleeper and getting a IC off a Eclipse and mounting it in the bumper for now until I want to turn the boost up (past 10lbs and after internals etc..), since I can probably pick one up dirt cheap from a friend (like 50$ or maybe cheaper). Oil cooler is a good idea though. So do you think stock ignition and fuel would be ok for greddy 5.5 lbs of boost?
Old 10-01-2001, 04:19 PM   #4
turbod97ex

I'm running stock ignition with no problems. I do have Nology wires though. For the money for the Nology wires you can buy a lot, . They were like $160. My plugs, however, burn perfectly. That's not to attribute that to the Nologys but to let you know that I am using stock ignition.
Like I said before, if you have the bucks, go for it. Another thing to consider is your brakes. As soon as you romp on it in your car, you will see how inadequate your stock brakes are trying to stop from that acceleration. Consider a rear disc brake swap and a big brake up front, or better, big brakes all around.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:22 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

cat-back sytem with bigger diameter pipe and a high flow cat. a good exhaust system is beneficial for a turbo set-up. i still have mine stock except for a thermal muffler. i wish i have some money to drop so i can get a high flow cat and 2.5 inch pipe. listen to what turbod97ex said about ignition and fuel system. i'm on the same boat. stock ignition and stock fuel system with just the blue box and V-AFC (which has nothing to do with boost). like he said, your blue box will hold up to 8 psi boost.
-install and mount the gauges
-install the timer
-review the procedures on wiring the blue box

all these things will save you a day or 2 during "game day"

also, order the "map missing link" or, assemble the check valves.
the missing link is always on back order

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 07:51 PM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

cool guys thanks...

more suggestions are always welcome..
Old 10-01-2001, 08:03 PM   #7
turbod97ex

But you won't need the missing link or check valves if you go the bluebox route. Only if you go the Vortech FPR route. Make sense? The blue box will handle everything up to 8 PSI.
By the way Jeremy, take as many photos of the install as you can. If you don't have a digital camera, that's no problem, use a disposable one with flash or any other type as long as you can get close ups. I can scan them for you. I could always use extra photos to add to my site.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:13 PM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by turbod97ex
But you won't need the missing link or check valves if you go the bluebox route. Only if you go the Vortech FPR route. Make sense? The blue box will handle everything up to 8 PSI.
By the way Jeremy, take as many photos of the install as you can. If you don't have a digital camera, that's no problem, use a disposable one with flash or any other type as long as you can get close ups. I can scan them for you. I could always use extra photos to add to my site.

I was thinking about it.. I have a nice digital camera so when I do it.. Ill get you the photos..

I was really wanting to do a good step by step if i can, but that may take to long to do both since I dont have another car I cant really have my car torn apart to long. (I wish so bad that I did.)
Old 10-02-2001, 02:17 AM   #9
BlazinCrx

I would go with a ACT clutch...MSD SCI ignition, new plugs and wires, and an oil cooler is never a bad idea...gauges wise I would go with oil press and EGT...If you get a EGT you really do not need an air/fuel (most suck anyway). Also probably wise to invest in a decent fuel controller like the Apexi or the new HKS AFR and a high flow fuel rail...that should set you up pretty good for the turbo.