::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
2kCivicEX

sub install

hey, thinking bout adding some small bass, but i read on the DIY system install that on a 02 EX, that if you take out the factory honda headunit, you lose keyless entry??? wtf is up with that, or is it true? any tips/suggestions on hooking up a small system to the factory headunit on my 00 EX?

Chris
Old 07-25-2003, 01:11 AM   #2
DavidH

not sure about on the 02s, but on my 98, the security i think was powered through the radio, which was really stupid. it made my dome light not work when i put in a new headunit....a little bit of "creative wiring" later though it worked.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:34 AM   #3
2kCivicEX

yea thats a pretty gay design...nice work honda :o
Old 07-25-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

just keep the stock unit powered up...run more wires (a good aftermarket harness should have more than one connector for this reason). In my 97 I have the stock unit under the passenger seat so I can have dome light and keyless
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:29 AM   #5
sc0rch

your gonna have to hide the factory HU in the dash somehow......gotta find a place to stick it........the cut off all the wires except the power,ground and prolly the alarm wire.....so your gonna have to find a wiring diagram for it.......
Old 07-25-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
yin_immortal

on the factory radio, you can just take off the 2 screws and the front part comes off. i would recommend keeping all the wiring intact if you ever sell the car and want to put the factory radio back in. with a little manipulation, you can fit the factory radio in the dash... there is a harness available so you don't have to do any excess wiring.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:29 PM   #7
DavidH

damn...wish i had though of that...jus keeping the factory HU powered...but creative wiring is more fun
Old 07-25-2003, 11:36 PM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

Check out Best Buy. I was told the same thing on my 99 but Best Buy was able to sell me a harness to make my keyless entry work with the stock radio being removed. Goodluck

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:49 AM   #9
ShagginJet

#1: this should be in the audio section of the forums.

Don't know what exactly this has to do with subs.... If you know WTF you're doing you can keep the factory unit and add an entire sub system without cutting a single wire. If you do want to replace the factory radio then there are options too that should keep all cars' extra features working just fine.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:44 AM   #10
yin_immortal

adding a sub is easy enough, you need a high-low converter to tap signal from your factory deck. its a device that allows you to convert a high level signal (rear speakers for instance) to a low level output (rca's). you can get the part at any car audio shop, you simply tie onto the rear speakers and then run short rca's to the amp. the only prob is getting a remote turn on, i ususally just grab ignition from somewhere and put a switch inline. without the switch, you get a pop when the shut the car off. Do you know what kind of subs do you want?
Old 07-26-2003, 06:16 PM   #11
ShagginJet

^^ You only get eh pop if you have a cheap amp or you run the power cables with the RCA cables. The pop is caused by a charge of energy in the rca lines.

You also have to run POWER from the battery.... don't forget about that. Depending on what wattage you're looking at, 12-8 guage should be fine.

**Someone move this to the Sounds section please.**

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 08:30 AM   #12
yin_immortal

actually the pop is caused by the amp shutting off before the radio...i am not talking about engine noise. the way the remote turn on works on an aftermarket deck is that it shuts off the amplifier prior to shutting down the deck so when you turn off the key, before the deck powers down, it shuts off any external amps. when you use an ignition source as your remote turn on, you get a small pop in your sub when you shut your car off because the amp is still on. feel me? as for the power wire, make sure you use the same size ground, thats the most common mistake made