::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Others
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2003, 12:39 AM   #1
Sol's Eye

Just got my coilovers.

I was looking on ebay this morning and broke down and bought a new set of DropZone coilovers for $89. O-4". I was thinking about crashoveride's post asking about stock wheel gap, and I decided I need to fix mine. So the coilovers will be going on as soon as I get them. Then it is slammin time!

Does anyone have any experience with DropZone coilovers? They were hella cheap, and I am kind of hoping I didn't get ripped off with a set of crappy coilovers. But I still plan on baggin the sol eventually, so they will only be on until I bag it. But anyone who knows anything about DropZone coilovers, I would appreciate your input!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:42 AM   #2
Sol's Eye

Forgot I had a pic of them. Here are my weapons of choice for temporary slammin!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coilovers.jpg (28.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-07-2003, 12:46 AM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I don't know what to tell you. I hope you're very happy with them, and I know some people are, but you get what you pay for. Quality suspension components are very expensive.

Also, you'll need aftermarket struts to handle this drop. Koni yellows would be the place to turn, but they'll run you $550+ and I doubt you want to spend that kind of money, right?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:17 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

is it just me or the upper spring seat is metal there ? you might have to deal with a lot of creaks and posps from your suspension

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:51 AM   #5
Sol's Eye

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
I don't know what to tell you. I hope you're very happy with them, and I know some people are, but you get what you pay for. Quality suspension components are very expensive.

Also, you'll need aftermarket struts to handle this drop. Koni yellows would be the place to turn, but they'll run you $550+ and I doubt you want to spend that kind of money, right?

Like I said, this is only temporary. I have talked to a few people who have had 3" drops on stock struts with no problems yet. So I figure the stock struts will at least last until I can afford a real suspension.

BTW, for future reference, what is the worst that could happen? Just so I can be prepared if it happens. And since they are adjustable, what would happen to the struts with this drop, and what are some signs I should watch for so I can raise the ride height again if they start to go bad?
Old 01-07-2003, 01:55 AM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Your struts will blow, you'll get poor handling, etc. I'm not sure how dangerous it is, but its always better to have a good handling car.

As for the drop, the height of the drop plays a big role, but so does the stiffness of the springs from what I've heard. If your struts blow, I guess you'll know its time for a new suspension

Old 01-07-2003, 02:00 AM   #7
Sol's Eye

Quote:

If your struts blow, I guess you'll know its time for a new suspension

lol, yeah I hope it doesn't come to that. Is there any warning sign to watch for or will it just be me driving along one day and my struts explode instantly?
Old 01-07-2003, 09:45 AM   #8
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I installed my pair of dropzone coils, and they're not half bad. I've had them on for about a month now, and I'll be getting tokico struts asap.

Check out the How to section, I wrote up a little "how to".

Its near the bottom.

Kinda bouncy, no squeak though so thats good.. I didn't really notice a difference in handling. Just remember to get an alignment right after you drop it.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #9
crashoveride

buy struts, stock will blow......koni reds(specials) are not too expensive compared to koni yellows. www.tirerack.com they have very good prices. if you want you can get kyb gr2(really cheap) but you cant drop more than 1.5 in on them or they blow... I have gr2 with H&R sports and it handles really good and the 1.5in drop looks really good. I think for del sols, 1.5 to 2 inches are the perfect drop, dont go lower it will look silly
Old 01-07-2003, 02:41 PM   #10
Sol's Eye

Will the Koni reds work okay? If those are good enough for now, I will probably buy a set of those. But I want to make sure that they can handle a 3" drop. They won't blow that low, will they?
Old 01-08-2003, 01:49 PM   #11
crashoveride

no they should be ok... but a 3 inch drop is alot, start with a 2 inch and work from there
Old 01-09-2003, 01:24 AM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i wouldn't even bother putting the coilovers on without changing the struts.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:21 AM   #13
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by crashoveride
I think for del sols, 1.5 to 2 inches are the perfect drop, dont go lower it will look silly

I beg to differ, here is my sol running a 3.25" drop on 17's.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:54 PM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Ahaha, I like the headstone

Old 01-09-2003, 03:59 PM   #15
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Quote:
Ahaha, I like the headstone

My brother made that for me before the last show I was at. It was around Halloween so he picked them up at a Halloween store and painted the writing on them. People were getting a huge kick out of them throughout the show.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:50 AM   #16
Sol's Eye

Well, I am going to wait to install them anyway. I want to have the ground clearance for winter, so even if I did put them on, I wouldn't lower it yet. I will just wait a while and get a set of Tokico Illuminas and put them and the coilovers on all at once. Then I will probably run like a 3-3.5" drop. Thanks for the help, though.

And delsolvtec, NICE SOL!