::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2002, 08:08 PM   #1
tightteg52

Military

Well guys i've been doig alot of thinking about what i wanna do with my life and one of my tops choices is joinin the navy or airforce and learning aviation electronics anyone here inthe armed forces if so whats your opinion?
Old 10-17-2002, 08:14 PM   #2
Grip72

I was thinking of it..but then i looked into retirement and that's looking pretty fly...
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:42 PM   #3
V8killimports

I am in the air force.. I would go air force if I were you.. you really want to be on a boat for 1/2 your life??
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:45 PM   #4
tightteg52

Care to share a lil more? like quality of life food. Did you get a say in where your stationed pay etc etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
I am in the air force.. I would go air force if I were you.. you really want to be on a boat for 1/2 your life??
Old 10-17-2002, 08:46 PM   #5
mylittlecivic

just dont get yourself killed....:o

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:50 PM   #6
tightteg52

Dont plan on it its kind awhy im thinkin air force or navy and goin into electronics useful in civilian world and not as risky!

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlecivic
just dont get yourself killed....:o
Old 10-17-2002, 09:30 PM   #7
V8killimports

ok I will sum it up for you.. first off I am a first year officer, so if you are enlisting I would first say go to college, then get commissioned, or enlist for 2-4 years, have them pay for college, then get commissioned. Anyways I get $2100 a month base salary, and that is the only part not taxable. I get $150 flight pay a month, $650 for housing, $150 for BAS. So after taxes every month I take home about $2500 take home after taxes. Right now I am TDY which pays me an additional $1200 a month (for 4 months while I am here). Food is good cause I buy whatever I want... not that chow hall crap.. as for quality of life it's pretty good.. Ops tempo is high right now.. but you tend to get lots of days off here and there... On average I have a 4 day week.. And when I am a captain with say 10 years I will make about $4500base a month, with about $800 a month in flight pay, and $700-$1000 a month in housing...
Old 10-17-2002, 09:46 PM   #8
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:

True. But would you wanna spend your days watching your life "fly" by? I am thinking about going into the marines or navy and get trained as an Underwater Welder. Hella money But the easiest way to decide i would think is choose the branch that lets you do what you love doing so you dont regret joining. Good luck on the decision.
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 10:12 PM   #9
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

I'm in the Air Force too and I would have to say if you're gonna go into any branch, it should be Air Force. Here's a breakdown:

Army - Get treated like shit, substandard living conditions, get demoted as fast as you get promoted, and when it comes down to it, you're a grunt and usually can't find a job that will transfer over to the civilian world.

Navy - Your on a boat for 6 months at a time living with a bunch of guys. If you're on a sub, they have a limited amount of living space. Could be that you lay down to sleep in a cot or bunk that some guy just got out of. Probably still warm from his nuts. Fun! Plus, would you really want to be know as a Seamen (read semen)

Marine - Uhh yeah, turn psycho from basic training, get a bunch of tattoos about dogs and Semper Fi, be the first one out in the field, again substandard living conditions.

Air Force - Live in college-like dorms with a bunch of females (yes, they're co-ed), if you're an Airman and you will be at first if you're enlisted, you'll eat in the chow hall which does suck sometimes but it ain't that bad for free. Getting training for a job that you can actually use if/when you get out and while you're in, it's just like having a regular job.

If you want some more advise or if you have any more questions, PM me and I'll do what I can to help you out.

Quote:
Originally posted by IALuder
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Darin, please confirm that you don't like the cock!

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #7
Anna Fan Club Member #1
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 10:14 PM   #10
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
I am in the air force..

Hey V8, where are you stationed?? And if you can say, where are you TDY??

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-17-2002, 10:16 PM   #11
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Originally posted by tightteg52
Did you get a say in where your stationed pay etc etc.
Forgot to answer this, at first - no...later on, kinda..PM or e-mail me and we can talk....

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-17-2002, 10:17 PM   #12
tightteg52

Hmm a air force recruiter is sending me some info but what about being stationed is it just random or do you get a say in it?
Old 10-17-2002, 10:23 PM   #13
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Hmm a air force recruiter is sending me some info but what about being stationed is it just random or do you get a say in it?

At first, they'll have you fill out what's called a "dream sheet" where you list the bases that you want to go to but when it comes down to it, they're gonna send you where they need you. So, yeah it random. But if you're looking to go into electronics (I'm in electronics), you're gonna go to Texas for 'basic training' and then you'll go to Biloxi, MS for school to learn your job. After that, it's just whatever. However, after you're in for a while you can try to either swap orders with someone else, try to apply for a slot at a base that's open, or apply for a remote to Korea (which is where I am right now). Once you come to Korea, you get to pick where you're going next (for the most part)

About the recruiter, dude...after you're done talking to him, talk to me. Some of them are dicks and tell you whatever you wanna hear just to get you to join.

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-17-2002, 10:27 PM   #14
tightteg52

If you got aim hit me up on there im online right now and my sn is in my sig.

Quote:
Originally posted by AccordinStyle
At first, they'll have you fill out what's called a "dream sheet" where you list the bases that you want to go to but when it comes down to it, they're gonna send you where they need you. So, yeah it random. But if you're looking to go into electronics (I'm in electronics), you're gonna go to Texas for 'basic training' and then you'll go to Biloxi, MS for school to learn your job. After that, it's just whatever. However, after you're in for a while you can try to either swap orders with someone else, try to apply for a slot at a base that's open, or apply for a remote to Korea (which is where I am right now). Once you come to Korea, you get to pick where you're going next (for the most part)

About the recruiter, dude...after you're done talking to him, talk to me. Some of them are dicks and tell you whatever you wanna hear just to get you to join.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:31 PM   #15
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
If you got aim hit me up on there im online right now and my sn is in my sig.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now (yes, on a military computer - surfing the net ) so I don't have AIM but I do have e-mail so you can hit me up here:

bobbylee@accordclub.net

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-17-2002, 10:36 PM   #16
tightteg52

Well im kinda anti e-mail but i'll shoot ya one later! thanks for the help

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm at work right now (yes, on a military computer - surfing the net ) so I don't have AIM but I do have e-mail so you can hit me up here:

bobbylee@accordclub.net
Old 10-17-2002, 10:40 PM   #17
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Well im kinda anti e-mail but i'll shoot ya one later! thanks for the help

No problem.... Just let me know if there's anything else you wanna know...

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-18-2002, 09:55 PM   #18
AzCivic

I'm in the Air Force as well, a weather forecaster, and I have to agree with the above statements about the other Branches. The Air Force is more laid back, in the Army/Marines the next rank up can make you do whatever, if someone right above me told me something stupid I'd just tell them to shut the hell up. If you or anyone decides on the AF do not i repeat DO NOT go into weather!!!! I hate my job, not so much the actual job but all the pricks I have to work with, all the assholes in the AF are all bunched up in the weather career field, and they don't give a **** about you or your family. Oh, I'm currently working 12hr shifts(since January) for 4-5 days a week, sometimes more. And you want to know why? Because some **** wants to look good and get promoted so they're accelerating all the shit we're supposed to take over by a year. Oh and security forces probably sucks as well. My advice is to get your degree first then come in as an officer, this stupid enlisted shit is a waste.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 10:17 PM   #19
mt.biker

my advice, dont join the military!
Old 10-18-2002, 10:20 PM   #20
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
my advice, dont join the military!

He means the canadian military.. and yes they have one.. I think they have like 3 boats..lol..
Old 10-18-2002, 10:33 PM   #21
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
He means the canadian military.. and yes they have one.. I think they have like 3 boats..lol..

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-19-2002, 10:13 PM   #22
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:

Marine - Uhh yeah, turn psycho from basic training, get a bunch of tattoos about dogs and Semper Fi, be the first one out in the field, again substandard living conditions.

I know quite a few guys that just got out of the Marine boot camp and came back from the crucible and they said its great. You are only pointing out bad things in those branches. On applications if you see that you were are marine (once a marine always a marine right) they will know that you are disciplined, follow instructions to the T, and dont ***** about crap jobs. I am not saying that that is not true about air force but im just saying... People like to here about marines not pilots. I feel that pilots are some times the unsung heroes of things its just that the marines are the one that usually report loses because at any time marines are deployed in over 53 countires world wide that all.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:19 PM   #23
VR4_Craver
Banned

One job i know you shouldnt take unless you have hella balls : Mine detection and removal...LOL :o (you on one wrong move)
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
Old 10-19-2002, 10:51 PM   #24
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Originally posted by VR4_Craver
I know quite a few guys that just got out of the Marine boot camp and came back from the crucible and they said its great. You are only pointing out bad things in those branches. On applications if you see that you were are marine (once a marine always a marine right) they will know that you are disciplined, follow instructions to the T, and dont ***** about crap jobs. I am not saying that that is not true about air force but im just saying... People like to here about marines not pilots. I feel that pilots are some times the unsung heroes of things its just that the marines are the one that usually report loses because at any time marines are deployed in over 53 countires world wide that all.

o.k., true that I'm only pointing out the bad things about the other branches but it's only because I have either talked to people in the other branches and heard their side of the story or have seen it for myself. My ex father-in-law is a retired Marine and he used to tell me stories about what he went through. He was also a drill instructor and he would tell me about how they would treat the recruits. Oh, and he was such a "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" type of person that when his daughter (my ex-wife) wanted to join the Marines, he told her that she better join the Air Force or he would dis-own her. Doesn't that say something? Oh, and I have been to Paris Island...my ex in-laws lived about 15 min. from the base. I remember during Christmas of '99 we went to go to the PX (store) on base and on the way we passed a bunch of recruits marching in the rain/snow on Christmas day. In the Air Force, we got/get 2 weeks off for Christmas/New Year's. I do have to give the Marines credit though, when shit hits the fan, they are the first ones to fight and usually the first ones to get killed. I guess when it comes down to it, it's all a matter of choice.

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-19-2002, 10:52 PM   #25
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
One job i know you shouldnt take unless you have hella balls : Mine detection and removal...LOL :o (you on one wrong move)

You mean EOD? yeah, thumbs up...oh wait, no thumbs. Damn it!

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-19-2002, 11:15 PM   #26
AzCivic

Quote:

Being a Marine means you dont think you just do what you're told. Not something future employers look for.

I dont think people like hearing more about one or the other.
There's more to the Air Force than just pilots.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:19 PM   #27
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic

True dat....

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-19-2002, 11:32 PM   #28
V8killimports

Quote:
Being a Marine means you dont think you just do what you're told. Not something future employers look for.

I dont think people like hearing more about one or the other.

This is incorrect... What about the guy in charge of battallions? He better be thinking.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:37 PM   #29
AzCivic

Let me clarify: an Enlisted marine does what he's told after its spelled out carefully to him. Officers of course do the thinking.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:46 PM   #30
V8killimports

Quote:
Let me clarify: an Enlisted marine does what he's told after its spelled out carefully to him. Officers of course do the thinking.

Well despite what people say, Marines are actually some of the sharpest people I have met.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:53 PM   #31
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Well despite what people say, Marines are actually some of the sharpest people I have met.

I agree, my grandfather was a proud marine, and he was definitely sharp. I have a lot of respect for what he did.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 12:00 AM   #32
AzCivic

My dad is a retired Gunnery Sergeant, he's smart as well. I'm going of my experience with the young ones I've met. I know what i'm ****ing talking about. Of course not everyone in the marines is dumb. But you have to wonder why the minimum ASVAB score to get into the marines is lower than that for the Air Force. OK you walk up to a recruiting center and ask yourself which branch do i want to join? so you think to yourself, no matter which one I'm in I'm going to get paid the same. So should I join the one that I'm more likely to die or one where I'll have to think and use my brain a little more??? Then you take the test and find out you are too stupid to join the Air Force so you join the Army, Marines, or Navy.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:00 AM   #33
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:

And sometimes, the biggest trouble makers (read assholes)...have you ever been stationed with Marines?

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-20-2002, 12:03 AM   #34
V8killimports

Quote:
And sometimes, the biggest trouble makers (read assholes)...have you ever been stationed with Marines?

No.. I trained with them.. they were cool.. doing pushups while I ate my lunch. They actually do the same job I do (the enlisted guys). But experience is everything.. I am an officer, but I don't know my job for shit yet.. I do lots of dumb shit every day.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:04 AM   #35
AzCivic

I have, they think they're invincible or some shit. I'm 6'4" and about 250lbs, I've had to correct some their attitudes.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:05 AM   #36
AzCivic

Quote:
No.. I trained with them.. they were cool.. doing pushups while I ate my lunch. They actually do the same job I do (the enlisted guys). But experience is everything.. I am an officer, but I don't know my job for shit yet.. I do lots of dumb shit every day.

Whats your job?
Old 10-20-2002, 12:10 AM   #37
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not gonna stereotype them but the ones that I've been around (in Tech School and again in Saudi), they were a bunch of pompous (sp?) assholes....greater then thee and invinsible...but I guess you get some of that in any branch.

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-20-2002, 12:29 AM   #38
mt.biker

Quote:

What would you know about our military you ignorate F*CK. Get outta here with your redneck comments.

Now i'm gonna school you, you inbread mother f*cker.

The Canadian military has no need to be as large as the American one. Though the American military comes up to Canada to train with the Canadians, so alot of the tactics you learn in flight school are developed in canadian airspace. It is one of the few countries that a militar aircraft is given a HUGE area to fly around in with little need to contact the tower for promision to cross into another airspace, giving the pilots a great learning evnoirment. Interesting you should say we suck aswell. In the last year the "top gun" program was active the canadian air force flew down and walked all over the americans winning something like 9 out of 11 possible awards.

F*CK YOU IGNORATE AMERICANS! I'm sick of the Canadain bashing, find someone else to pick on you ungreatful assholes!
Old 10-20-2002, 12:36 AM   #39
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
F*CK YOU IGNORATE AMERICANS! I'm sick of the Canadain bashing, find someone else to pick on you ungreatful assholes!

Woah Rob! Relax, you have to remember this is the internet and yes, people are going to talk shit here but we think no less of Canada then any of our other Allies. Canada just tends to get picked on a little more than others sometimes.....

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 10-20-2002, 12:38 AM   #40
V8killimports

Like I said I work with Canadians.. a major in fact.. he's cool as shit.. and crossing from the US into Canada is crossind an ADIZ... it's not practice.. we do that shit everyday.. not like its tough..lol