::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
Crusheskill

accord '02...suspension

hey whats up kids..ok question...I need to drop my 02 coupe..but..i dont have my rims/tires yet..but this shit needs to be dropped..so should i..(a)clamp my springs (B) get springs and just drop that shit now (c)wait and see how my car will sit with the tires/rims before i get a lowering kit..ok so let me know what you guys think, in your opinion..thanks
Old 10-11-2002, 04:12 PM   #2
spoogenet

Welcome to HS.

What are you looking for in the lowering? Is your prime concern looks, or are you more concerned about performance? Also how much do you plan to drop? Also what size rims are you planning on going with?

The generally accepted recommendation you'll get for dropping will be some Eibach Pro-kits with Koni Yellows. Of course with Pro-kits you can run stock shocks, but it is recommended to replace them, mainly with Koni Yellows. The Pro-kit will drop you about 1.3-1.5", whereas you could get the Sportlines that'll drop you 1.8-2". With the Sportlines you'll definitely need a camber kit, with the Pro-kits you may or may not need a camber kit. A note on the Koni Yellows, though, I think I may have read somewhere that they're not good for huge drops, so the Sportlines may be too much with the Yellows. Neuspeed also makes springs for the Accords that are supposed to be pretty good, I'm not sure how much they drop.

Either of those options will give you much better handling than stock with a decent tuck of the wheels up into the fender well. You definitely run 18"x7.5 with 225/40/18 with the Pro-kits without any mods to the body, I'm not sure if the Sportlines will require any special mods to run 18".

Of course your other option is coilovers. True coilovers come more highly recommended than coilover sleeves. Tein makes some nice coilovers (Super Street, or SS) for the Accords. Unfortunately, though, the EDFC isn't available for the Accord unless you want to make body mods. Also you can pick up coilovers from Tanabe, they're supposed to be pretty good.

For sleeves GroundControl is the highest recommended for those, IIRC.

Personally, I'd wait until you get the new rims/wraps before doing the lowering, but that's just me. I think the cars look funny when lowered without having larger wheels than the stock 15".

b
Old 10-11-2002, 06:40 PM   #3
Crusheskill

hi, thanks fo all the info. I wil take it into consideration.
Yes I must agree with you that I would rather wait to get my rims and some tires before I dropped it, but what can I say...Stock height sucks and ts cheaper to drop first rather than wait till i got 2k...by the way there stock 16's and i think it would look better dropped stock tires then 18's and low pros with no lowering kit that will probably make the car look higher since the tires are bigger..anyway..thanks
Old 10-19-2002, 06:30 PM   #4
SilvaAccord

I say go with either H&R or Eibach

Prokit - 1.5
Sportlines - 2.0
Old 10-19-2002, 07:03 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
A note on the Koni Yellows, though, I think I may have read somewhere that they're not good for huge drops, so the Sportlines may be too much with the Yellows

Koni yellows are great for lower drops. They handle them better than just about any other struts (normal, consumer priced). Sportlines are NO problem for the Koni yellows.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 07:13 PM   #6
nittanys1
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Koni yellows are great for lower drops. They handle them better than just about any other struts (normal, consumer priced). Sportlines are NO problem for the Koni yellows.

wish i knew this when i baught my struts...the tokico regulars(A.k.A blues) I have are ok but the bigger size of the 98+ Accord make it hard for them to preform with a decent drop 2+ inches
nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 08:07 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Yeah, I've only heard great things about the koni yellows. Maybe when the blues go you can switch over.

Old 10-19-2002, 08:45 PM   #8
nittanys1
2nd Gear

i think that when they go, I'll get some Tein's
nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 09:07 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nittanys1

Even better

Old 10-19-2002, 10:22 PM   #10
SilvaAccord

Quote:
Originally posted by nittanys1

I agree if you got 900 to spend. I would have to say Tein's are one of the best suspension systems out there.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:22 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
A note on the Koni Yellows, though, I think I may have read somewhere that they're not good for huge drops, so the Sportlines may be too much with the Yellows.
b

i think that you are confusing the KYB AGX's in this case. they are made for stock springs but can take drops of up to 1.6". get the konis.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 02:08 PM   #12
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i think that you are confusing the KYB AGX's in this case. they are made for stock springs but can take drops of up to 1.6". get the konis.

Ok....I wasn't sure about it, so thanks for the correction. Can't even get KYB AGX for the 6th gens anyways.....so that makes it simpler.

On the Tein front, did anybody ever figure out whether the SS for the 6th gen Accords are subject to rust???

b