::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2002, 10:38 PM   #1
General Chang

What is this freakin' sound???

Whenever i go over a speedbump or dip in the road I hear this creaking/crunching kind of sound.....i asked around and was told, "It's your struts!", so I replaced them(actually a friend of mine did and nearly took off his head when he forgot to use a spring compressor on one and it went off into his face).....so now i'm stuck with the same ole sound and clueless for answers....i'm sure somebody else has had this problem??? oh yeah, its a '96 accord ex teq
Old 02-11-2002, 11:34 PM   #2
Maxvla

i get that sound from my 90 accord but only when veryvery cold.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:57 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
i get that sound from my 90 accord but only when veryvery cold.

you too ? on the left hand side ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 01:58 PM   #4
Maxvla

i think its on the right... but ive only heard it just a few times and only when i go over speed bumps or something large. (large suspension travel) but its definately on the front end.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:45 PM   #5
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Did you check the cardboard floor in your trunk?
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:33 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

did u check the wheels for play ? i can't say anything for sure but i think it's one of your tierods messed up. Check them.

Old 02-12-2002, 11:23 PM   #7
azn_nite_ryder

its your springs....
either they arent sitting right or you have to replace them.... i had the same problem with the beater.... dont worry its not that bad.. just annoying...
Old 02-13-2002, 01:20 AM   #8
HoOn

Another thing you can try checking are your upper control arms. I had a weird sound whenever I hit a bump or a hole on the ground so I had it checked. Struts were changed but didnt help and a local shop around me said it was my upper control arm. It was replaced and now its fine. Have them check it! =)

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2002, 08:46 AM   #9
JudoAnt
1st Gear

Same problem

I have the same sound on my 94 accord. It used to happen only when I went over speed bumps, but know it happend any-time i hitany knid of bump. Last weekend I had my car up on a rack looking @ it and discovered my tie-rods are goint bad. You can tell this by putting you car on a jack or rack and grabbing your wheel by either side and try to wiggle it back in forth. If there is play, then the tie-rods need to be replaced.

I'm not saying that this will fix the problem, but I have the same noise, and I know that my tie-rods need to be replaced.

Hope this helps..
JudoAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 07:26 PM   #10
Incubus

I'm pretty sure my answer will make you feel much better and you won't have to do any work or spend any money. A year and a half ago I lowered my car and put new tokico gas shocks on my then new 99 LS integra. I heard that squishing sound too when I went over speed bumps, so I asked around at speed shops and stuff, and the answer they gave me was simple, but one I overlooked.

I'm assuming you have a lowered suspension and/or rims. This sound you are hearing is your tires rubbing/scraping your wheel well, nothing more nothing less. While it can wear your tires a bit, as long as your not driving over speed bumps all day long it won't be too big of a deal.

Hopefully that will explain your problem, as it did for me......good luck!!!
Old 02-14-2002, 12:54 AM   #11
azn_nite_ryder

Quote:
Originally posted by Incubus
I'm pretty sure my answer will make you feel much better and you won't have to do any work or spend any money. A year and a half ago I lowered my car and put new tokico gas shocks on my then new 99 LS integra. I heard that squishing sound too when I went over speed bumps, so I asked around at speed shops and stuff, and the answer they gave me was simple, but one I overlooked.

I'm assuming you have a lowered suspension and/or rims. This sound you are hearing is your tires rubbing/scraping your wheel well, nothing more nothing less. While it can wear your tires a bit, as long as your not driving over speed bumps all day long it won't be too big of a deal.

Hopefully that will explain your problem, as it did for me......good luck!!!

i doubt it... a creak/crunch is not the same sound as a rubbing sound... i know what you mean cuz i had that too.. but i really doubt it is.... Check your springs man...
Old 02-14-2002, 08:11 AM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i discovered one more problem that could cause that sound to appear. it is the lowert ball joint from your steering knukle. to test raise the car, remove the wheel, and try to move the wheel from the hub. if the hub moves up, and the lower arm stays put then it is your lower ball joint. the replacement part is somewhere from 17 to 25 bucks

Old 02-14-2002, 08:17 AM   #13
JudoAnt
1st Gear

no rubbing

I got factory wheels and no lowering. It's something mechanical.
JudoAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 09:15 AM   #14
urbanlegend21

it is your bushings
all of those rubber or polyurethene bushings contract and tighten with the cold and hot, when it is cold they tend to move more and will squeak like that
that is why they are greased when replaced