Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2003, 05:44 PM   #1
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

DIY: Clearing 7th Gen Civic Headlights *PICS 56k Death*

Though this was primarily to clear out a broken "Hyperwhite" bulb in Mischief(LTS)'s headlamps, this guide can also help in the clearing of the amber piece inside your headlight.

Materials needed:

- Silicone Sealant (We purchased a large tube of industrial strength sealant, rated 10/10 on plastics. Only cost around $4 and was enough to finish both headlights and have about 1/2 tube left over.

-Blade or Exacto-knife.
- Various sockets, primarily 10mm for the headlights.. as well as phillips + flathead screwdrivers.
-a buddy
-drinks
-a rolly chair
-duct tape

1. Remove the bumper.
a) Remove the two screws on each side of the wheel well, and remove the 4 bolts w/ washers underneath the car. Remove the bolts holding on the watershield as well.
b) Carefully remove the bumper and place it somewhere where it wont get in the way.

2. Remove the headlights.
a) Two visible screws on the top of the headlight housing, one on the side of the headlights, and one hidden near the center of the car running vertically on the headlight support.

Your car should now look like this:

The area after the headlight has been removed:

3. Start prying the headlights apart.

Note: Since Ryan had a problem with water sealing before we started this project, he had it repaired numerous times by stores all with the same effect- it sucked. One problem we encountered was the "rubber cement" that they used to fuse the two headlight housings together. Lets say it was like having to pry apart two plastic pieces fused by super glue.

a) Use the blade or exacto-knife (preferably- for safety), and run it along the middle of the two housings.
b) Use the flathead to pop the clips holding the two bodies together, and start to carefully pry them apart.

Before: (Hack that *****)

Two wonderful hours later: (VICTORYYYYY!!! GOALLLLLLLL!!!!)

4. Clean the two lenses while you're at it.

Clear out Amber piece -OPTIONAL STEP-
a) If necessary, use a phillips screw driver, and remove the inner piece of the headlight, and remove the amber piece. Clean out the lense, and put it aside.

5. Apply Silicone sealant
Note: always wear a stupid expression on your face while doing this.
a) apply generously to seal all holes possible, you can always cut off excess after it dries.

6. Put the two halves together
a) Place the two halves together, its ok if it smears out. Prepare to get dirty.
b) Have one person squeeze the two halves together while taping the headlight assembly TIGHT. A couple strips over the parts that have trouble staying together should do.
c) For added safety, we coated it yet again with another layer of silicone to make sure absolutely nothing leaked.
d) Repeat with other side.

Finished product.. almost:

7. Let it sit!
a) Let it sit for atleast 1-2 Hours before you put it back onto your car. If you placed an extra layer of silicone sealant like we did, then let it sit for atleast 3 hours. Even then, it will be incredibly soft. If possible, let it sit a full 24 hours before you put it back onto the car.

In the meanwhile, have some fun:
Not only did we roll down the driveway, but we also went to test drive some cars including the 350Z

8. Put that biatch back in!
a) Install the headlights back onto the car. Lookit them! All clean:

Remember the stupid expression of the face helps.

Work biatch!

Live! Live!!

9. Replace Bumper

10. Admire your finished product

We thugs.

11. Absolutely Necessary Step!: Go cruisin
note: his car is primered and waiting for paint

Say hi ryan:

Ugly car:

And I've got the lead!:

Or not:

Aah, the open road:

everyone loves the turbizzim.

Last edited by TeriyakiBroccoli : 04-17-2003 at 06:54 PM.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
JamieS697

im so doing this tommorow thanks alot
Old 05-02-2003, 10:12 PM   #3
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

np lemmie know if you need help w/ anything.

Old 05-03-2003, 02:59 PM   #4
JamieS697

it was a breeze still have to seal the one up a little better but other than that it was easy!! I was kinda rushing it so the one didnt seal as good. But thanks again for the pics it made me get off my @$$ and do it
Old 05-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #5
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

np. glad to help

Old 05-03-2003, 11:20 PM   #6
JamieS697

o one other question this may seem dumb but i never looked do i have to take apart the whole headlight again to change the bulbs??ie.. the blinker or w/e
Old 05-03-2003, 11:34 PM   #7
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

nope, just reach your hand (small hands help) and get the bulbs from the back of the assembly.. you might need to turn your wheel and remove the water guard to get at the 2 small corner bulbs.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:05 PM   #8
JamieS697

i just took off the whole headlight again. I dont have small hands. I put in the green hids and i have got four complements in the last couple of days. Also the other headlight was fine i just didnt let it fully dry and wanted to wash my car but washed it to soon thanks again and this is proof that this is easy cause a goof like me can do it!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:23 AM   #9
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

lolz gj man.

green HIDs?

Old 05-07-2003, 07:41 AM   #10
JamieS697

yea i asked if they were illegal but i asked the wrong person i believe they are because they are fairly noticable but they look cool
Old 05-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
fertooos

The instruction is brilliant, thanks a lot for it. I am from https://areaphonecodes.com/united-states/732 and i will try it immediately. It is good that you have provided step by step guide. I am sure I will cope with everything on my own. So this weekend I am doing it and I will post my feedback very soon. But thanks a lot for such a great piece of advice, it is much appreciated.

Last edited by fertooos : 05-15-2020 at 12:00 PM.
fertooos is offline   Reply With Quote