::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2002, 11:57 AM   #1
inspecta83

ls turbo setup

im putting an Ls into my crx and the set up i am going to go with is...

eagle rods
roller wave pistons
blockguard (either nuformz or golden eagle)
hondata 2b
ferrera valves (only b/c my stock ones are damaged)
portflow valve springs
rc injectors
drag 3 turbo kit

thats the basic setup that i am aiming for but i wanted to know what yall thought about boring out the motor to a 2.0 liter? i was told that doing this will yield good hp gains and i just wanted a 2nd opinion...are the advantages of boring to a 2.0 worth the cost?

also, i know by boring out the motor i'd have to get bigger diameter pistons (84mm), and just wanted to know based on the list above, what other things i'd have to do if i should decide to bore out the motor (i.e. different sized blockguard, bigger injectors, etc)? thanks
Old 10-29-2002, 04:00 PM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

If you're going to bore it, go ahead and sleeve it, too. You'll be able to run more boost and it will be safer for the engine.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 06:55 PM   #3
inspecta83

l

i just realized that if i bore it out that i'd have to re-sleeve and doing both of those now would put me over budget. so for now im just gunna stick w/ the setup posted above...thanks
Old 10-29-2002, 10:32 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i don't know where i read that before but i heard of a dude who had his engine bored out to 2.0 and he was blowing head gaskets like hell. didn't you 2ndgenteg mentioned it before ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:34 AM   #5
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

If you bore out any engine, I recommend a thick head gasket. When you bore cylinders, the space between the cylinders becomes very thin. Using a thick head gasket makes the head gasket much stronger at the spaces between the cylinders. In addition, the resulting lowered compression ratio allows you to run more boost.

If you're going to delay boring and sleeving, I at least recommend a block guard, but be forewarned that a block guard is in no way an adequate alternative to sleeving. The good news? A good buddy of mine is running with just rods, pistons, and a block guard- and 18 psi.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:15 AM   #6
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

If you are going with a drag kit you should think about using low compression pistons, total seal rings and a 2mm head gasket from greddy to lower compression even further. The higher the compression the more risk of dammaging the engine. You can get arias pistons for around 400$, and total seal rings for about 100$, it might sound expensive but it'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:18 AM   #7
inspecta83

thats very encouraging 2ndgenteg...i know that a blockguard isnt as good as re-sleeving however i am only going to be running about 12psi which i was told is just fine with a blockguard rather than re-sleeving.

i am going to be using a golden eagle blockguard (along w/ all the other goodies i listed above) @ only about 12psi, so according to your friend's setup, i should be good.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:27 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

what is a block guard ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 01:39 PM   #9
Dr Drew

Re: ls turbo setup

Quote:
Originally posted by inspecta83

eagle rods
roller wave pistons
hondata 2b
portflow valve springs
rc injectors
drag 3 turbo kit

It sounds good Cash. Hondata came out with the S200. Check it out. I would keep the compression around 9.5:1. Remember guys, boost is relative, compression is power.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:50 PM   #10
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

I ran my motor with 10psi on stock pistons and rings for about a month. Then the car started to burn oil. Pulled the motor apart to find that the pistons were cracked and the rings were shot. If you are going to run anything over 7psi I would highly recommend upgrading your pistons and rings.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:30 PM   #11
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

A block guard is inserted into the top of the block. It occupies the gap between the cylinder walls and the block and reduces the flexing of the cylinders under load.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:27 PM   #12
inspecta83

how does the s200 compare to the 2b? and for my application (listed above), are the advantages of getting the s200 instead of the 2b be worth the extra money? (im not planning on boosting more than 12psi)
Old 10-30-2002, 10:41 PM   #13
Dr Drew

Quote:
Originally posted by delsolvtec
I ran my motor with 10psi on stock pistons and rings for about a month. Then the car started to burn oil. Pulled the motor apart to find that the pistons were cracked and the rings were shot. If you are going to run anything over 7psi I would highly recommend upgrading your pistons and rings.

D Series compaired to a B Series is huge differance. I wouldn't run anymore than 7lbs on a single cam.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:06 PM   #14
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Drew
D Series compaired to a B Series is huge differance. I wouldn't run anymore than 7lbs on a single cam.

That reinforced single cam is now running 10lbs without problem. It's all in the tuning. Any high mileage engine is going to suffer the concequences of turbocharging if you don't replace parts that are prone to go under boost. 12lbs is a lot of boost for a motor that was designed to be naturally aspirated. Lower your compression if you want the motor to be reliable, if not then that's fine too, just don't expect it to last very long.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:43 PM   #15
thermal
Banning Machine

Re: ls turbo setup

Quote:
Originally posted by inspecta83
eagle rods
roller wave pistons
hondata 2b
portflow valve springs
rc injectors
drag 3 turbo kit

..just wondering, what size injectors are you planning on getting? just a reminder, u can get 450cc DSM injectors real cheap. i bought mine for $23.75 from a junkyard and a $3 resistor box. it will be balanced and cleaned for about $50. my opinion on your set-up is simply.....going to kickass! i've seen an LS t3/t4 hybrid turbo boosting about 15 psi and ran a consistent 13's......semi tuned.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 03:07 PM   #16
inspecta83

im not sure what size injectors im getting but i was thinking that 450cc would probably be an overkill. does anyone have an answer to my previous post?

how does the s200 compare to the 2b? and for my application (listed above), are the advantages of getting the s200 instead of the 2b be worth the extra money? (im not planning on boosting more than 12psi)

thanks
Old 11-01-2002, 07:51 AM   #17
Dr Drew

I'm pretty sure the S200 is a replacement for anything lower than stage 4. Here is a link to a fuel injector worksheet Just type in what your WHP 'goal' is and it'll calculate what size injector are needed.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:50 AM   #18
inspecta83

what site was that worksheet on b/c the link isnt working. thanks
Old 11-01-2002, 11:53 AM   #19
Dr Drew

Sorry about that...dont know what happened. try it again.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:27 PM   #20
inspecta83

it works now and i used it but i think that eqation is all screwed up b/c i dont think i should use 500cc injectors b/c that would be an overkill for a turbo'd ls for 250whp. someone told me that the magazine "sport compact" had an equation that's pretty accurate. hopefully i can get my hands on it
Old 11-01-2002, 06:43 PM   #21
Dr Drew

That is rated at 80 duty cycle, honda injectors run about 85-90%. That is why it says a little higher. If I were you...I'd go with what they say. There are a lot of tuing issues if you max out the injectors.