::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Body Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2002, 11:17 PM   #1
snowfire79

air bubbles under paint????

my car is a 98 and is very well cared for. i wash and wax it all the time, but recently when i was going over it, i noticed some areas that look almost like an air bubble under the paint. when u rub the area it moves, and the last time i was washing the car some of the paint flew off when water hit it on the back bumper. beneth the white paint that flew off is what looks like ugly dirty white paint. what could cause this??? is it probally only on the plastic body parts where this could happen, or could it happen on the metal parts as well? also, if i was looking to paint one day down the road, is there any problem with having a white car, and painting it black? any help is appreciated, thanks!!
Old 11-01-2002, 01:37 AM   #2
slowEJ6

was your car repainted??? sounds like it was and whoever did the job did a seriously CRAP job.
paint can bubble on any parts if the prepping isnt done correctly - which is what this sounds like.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:53 AM   #3
spoogenet

6th gen Accords have been notorious for crappy paint jobs courtesy of Honda. I have seen a few used ones with bubbling paint. The paint will first being to bubble, then will chip/flake right off. I looked a coupe where the entire rear A pillar (if that's what it's called) was bubbling/cracking.

I've got an '01 sedan and the paint has bubbled a little bit in a place or two on the arms for the trunk. It's just something to keep an eye on for the newer Hondas.

b
Old 11-01-2002, 05:59 PM   #4
4jacks

Bubbles in your paint is a serious paint problem, the only fix, is to have it repainted,

the only problem with painting a white car black, is that it cost more, their is a lot more time involved in prep work and such. a good repaint in the same color is about $1000 it will easily cost double that to change the color.

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:56 AM   #5
slowEJ6

repainting a car - if done right - is going to cost the same whether you are going from black to white or white to black or green to red. all the paint should be stripped off anyway, then coats of primer, then your base coats and clear. and yah, it will cost about $2000 to do that.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 10:15 PM   #6
4jacks

let me clarify my fast typing

painting car the same color...
strip, sand, prime, paint, clear.
Only the outside of the car gets done they don't to door jams, trunk jams and the such. Around $1000

Paint car ANY different color,
Same stuff only they have to paint all the jams and that takes a lot more prep. If you ask them not to do the jams, it'll look silly
$2000

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 02:20 AM   #7
gc43

if it wasnt repainted, I would comlain to ur dealer.. otherwise, complain to the body shop.. that shouldnt happen, even on plastic or urethane pieces..